Recommend me some speakers

markwatson23

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, i currently have

Project Essential, Cambridge audio 551p phono amp, Cambridge audio AM1 amp

I'm looking for some speakers to go with this lot.

I mostly listen to my music at low volume levels but occasionally play loud

budget is £200

matthewpiano

Agree with Cno. Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. No need for the sub unless you are a bass head.

I'd then be considering what the rest of your budget could buy you in a better amplifier second hand. You should be able to pick up a Rotel RA-01, for example, which would leave your current amp for dust.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You wont usually get cable with the speakers & it's not necessary to spend much money on cable either - Maplins for example do decent speaker cable for around £2 a metre, personally I use banana plugs for connecting speakers as I find using bare wire fiddly, but again don't spend much on them they can be had cheaply on Ebay or Amazon for just a few pounds for 8.

One thing that IMO getting speakers on a solid support is of great importance, they will usually work best on inexpensive stands if not make sure the surface they are on is solid & does not vibrate or the surface will sing along with the speakers, trying them in different positions can make large changes in sound quality - If the speakers sound over bassed or boomy moving them from corners is helpful & the distance from a corner or rear wall will increase or lessens bass depending on your preference.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
markwatson23 said:
Ok, i now have the wharfedale speakers and they sound great. What should be the next upgrade i should make? A new amp? If so which one?

Got the bug, then! *wink*

I would listen to the Rega Brio R (and use it's built-in phono stage).

If you want to spend a little less, look at the Marantz PM6005, Nad D3020 or Rotel RA10.

+1 for the Rega Brio-r. An amazing amp for the price

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
markwatson23 said:
Ok, i now have the wharfedale speakers and they sound great. What should be the next upgrade i should make? A new amp? If so which one?

Got the bug, then! *wink*

I would listen to the Rega Brio R (and use its built-in phono stage).

If you want to spend a little less, look at the Marantz PM6005, Nad D3020 or Rotel RA10.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
markwatson23 said:
Thanks for the help. Im looking at that marantz one at the moment. Any reason not to get that one?

Try to get a listen to the options if you can. If you can't, read the reviews/look at the specs...and then choose the one that seems to fit the bill.

They all should be a good upgrade on your CA.

The Brio R is worth a look because of the quality of its Phono Stage (which makes a big difference).....you could probably sell your existing Phono Stage to help offset the cost.

matthewpiano

If you can push that bit further you will get more. The Rega Brio-R is a superb amp for the money and would combine the phono stage with the amplification. Alternatively you could retain your existing phono stage and consider the Exposure 1010. Both wonderful amps.

If you can't or don't wish to go that far the Marantz and Rotel options are very good. The Rotel has a particularly good phono stage for a budget amp, but there is really little to choose between the two overall.

matthewpiano

To be clear, and without being rude, almost anything would be a good improvement on the Topaz amp you have. If you want to stick to the Rotel/Marantz price-point either of those amps would represent a significant upgrade and will get so much more out of the Wharfedales. If you can go that step further the Wharfedales will respond - I've heard my 9.1s being driven by the Exposure and was astonished at how much it go out of them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
If you can push that bit further you will get more. The Rega Brio-R is a superb amp for the money and would combine the phono stage with the amplification.

We saved the OP £110 on his speaker budget, so that can go towards the Brio R. *diablo*

wclough

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi. You never said how you had mounted your speakers. When I first got into hifi (yonks ago) I had the speakers on the floor. What a difference when I got stands and what a difference again when I got Target stands withe the points which dig into the carpet. I also sealed the bottom of the column and filled with sand. This is how it gets you. Best of luck with your amp search. Whatever advice you get, still go and listen

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
If you can push that bit further you will get more. The Rega Brio-R is a superb amp for the money and would combine the phono stage with the amplification. Alternatively you could retain your existing phono stage and consider the Exposure 1010. Both wonderful amps.

If you can't or don't wish to go that far the Marantz and Rotel options are very good. The Rotel has a particularly good phono stage for a budget amp, but there is really little to choose between the two overall.

If you do go between the Rotel of the Marantz, I would advise the Marantz since it has a built-in DAC and a remote. If you like the Rotel sound better, you would need to step up to the RA-11 which costs a little more but also has both features.

TRENDING THREADS