Recommend a DAC similar to Yamaha CD-S700 CD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey folks,

Ideally, I need a way to stream digital audio from the PC (M-Audio 24/96 S/PDIF Coax) to the HiFi amp (Yamaha A-S700) so that I can monitor any adjustments I make in the DAW, and how they will sound as if played on CD (Yamaha CD-S700).

Util now, we've been using a Marantz DR6000 CD Recorder, sticking it in manual record mode, with a CD-R/W in and using that as a DAC. However, this isn't so practical for longer periods (leaving the CD Recorder in pause/record mode) and the CD Recorder doesn't have anything like the same wonderful sound as the Yamaha CD-S700 CD Player.

I've been looking at DACs, and Yamaha's own NS-2000 is far too pricey for me to consider, so I am left with the <£300 ish budget DACs from other manufacturers.

== I want a DAC that sounds as close as possible to the Yamaha CD-S700 sweet natural sound ==

Here's what I am looking at so far, perhaps with additional power supply. I have yet to audition, just read through reviews and such.

Arcam rDAC

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Original/Plus - probably too bright/punchy

Music Fidelity V-DAC I/II

I did hear an Arcam Cd Player some years ago, and it sounded really dead. Thin and lifeless. Everyone told me that the CD Player must have been faulty, but that was the only experience I have had of Arcam.

Anyone got any suggestions? Has any one compared any of these or other DACs to the Yamaha CD Players? Suggestions are all welcomed.

A

Anonymous

Well I found a review mentioning the Yamaha CD-s700 compared to the Cambridge Audio DacMagic:

http://www.cnet.com.au/cambridge-audio-dacmagic-339297450.htm

I have to agree with the latest user comment at the bottom of the page. The Yamaha isn't shrill, and some accuse it of not being exciting enough. The general impression I get of the DacMagic (from numerous user comments online) is that it is exciting and partly because it's a little treble happy?

I am nudging towards the rDAC especially as I've seen it sub £300. The V-DAC looks like it nbeeds to be partnered with the V-link to get better performance from it. The Baresford Caiman maybe a bit too clinical/detailed for my tastes again.

I guess if I knew how much difference there was between the Yamaha CD-S300 and the CD-S700, I could go and demo a few common DACs agains that, with the reference to my CD player in my mind.

I noticed the Yamaha NP-S2000 is discontinued, but I found soewhere selling it for £700+, still too far out of my price range condisering the CD player cost ~£400.

lashing

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Curious as to your progress. I just bought a YAmaha CDS300 and a Marantz CD6004. My amp is the Yamaha AS700. By far I prefer the CDS300 as its sounds very musical and smooth yet tight. The Marantz is just bright and polite in my opinion. It gets tiring. I wanted the Yamaha CDS700 actially but Yamaha confirmed it would not work with an IPOD and connecting an IPOD was the reason I have these models to begin with.

Anyway I dont know how much difference there is in sound between the Yamaha 700 and 300 CD players. Am very curious.

how you made out.

lashing

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Curious as to your progress. I just bought a YAmaha CDS300 and a Marantz CD6004. My amp is the Yamaha AS700. By far I prefer the CDS300 as its sounds very musical and smooth yet tight. The Marantz is just bright and polite in my opinion. It gets tiring. I wanted the Yamaha CDS700 actially but Yamaha confirmed it would not work with an IPOD and connecting an IPOD was the reason I have these models to begin with.

Anyway I dont know how much difference there is in sound between the Yamaha 700 and 300 CD players. Am very curious.

how you made out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts