Recomendations please

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Can anyone recommend any amps to go with my speakers, I am needing a smooth, laidback, full sound, my ears are particularly sensitive to the upper mid-range, I need something easy to live with and listen to.

The current amps are Arcam A85 and P85, with a REL subwoofer.

Have been considering a tube integrated and possibly Quad solid state.

I don't need massive volume, as the room is only 11 foot square.

My speakers are B+W Nautilus 804, I really dont want to change those!

Thank you in advance for any replies and help :)

Lisa Jackson said:
Can anyone recommend any amps to go with my speakers, I am needing a smooth, laidback, full sound, my ears are particularly sensitive to the upper mid-range, I need something easy to live with and listen to.

Not sure why you felt the need for a subwoofer with those speakers considering your room size but whatever. I'd have thought those 804's would perform much better in a bigger room. The 804's are efficient but can dip down to 3 ohm, however, this shouldn't be too much of a problem for a decent tube amp.

Can you tell us how much you are considering spending on a replacement for the Arcam set-up?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The brand that comes to mind is Pathos. It combines the lovely liquid sound of Valves, with the power and control of a Solid State Power Amp.

Others brands that might be worth a look are Mc Intosh, Audio Analogue, Electrocompaniet and Unison Research Unico range.

If you go with Valves, would need something pretty gutsy from the likes of Icon Audio.

Lisa Jackson said:
cheers al ears, im looking to spend £2.600/£3000 at a push,most of my system was purchased used.we love a bargain!

Don't we just.

If you fancy valve integrated without the hassle you can't do a lot better than the Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP.

If you want solid state and keep the subwoofer attached then the Parasound Halo 2.1 Integrated should also be considered.

Lisa Jackson said:

Generally any frequency imbalance is down to poor synergy. I know you're not keen to get rid of the speakers but those speakers were known IIRC for being on the 'edgey' side of comfortable.

I agree with the previous poster: Those speakers are too large for your room.

Personally I would listen to some PMC Twenty 21s. Arcam and PMC are a great match and the smaller stand mount speakers will give you a more airy sound.

If you're determined to keep the speakers, the 804s need a gutsy amp. But a powerful amp and large floorstanders could only complicate the situation further.

Regardless, you must audition, audition, audition... until the cows turn blue.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I love a 2nd hand hi-fi bargain too.

Here's a few suggestions:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Top-Pioneer-SA-9500-MKII-frisch-revidiert-hervorragender-Zustand-Revised-/291786413984?hash=item43efd357a0:g:8ZMAAOSwR5dXTX5w

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Onkyo-Integra-M-5570-P3370-Endstufe-Vorverstarker-High-End-/272296985315?hash=item3f662a42e3:g:LPMAAOSwbYZXe0is

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Mark-Levinson-No-23-High-End-Endstufe-in-gutem-Zustand-geserviced-/172158899708?hash=item28157855fc:g:Vh0AAOSwr7ZW5~li

Or push the boat out for this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Accuphase-P-7000-OVP-BDA-/252442950901?hash=item3ac6c5bcf5:g:cMIAAOSwQupXVAVH

lindsayt said:

Personally I feel that there's bargains and there's bargains. I f you feel you can commit this sort of money to a second-hand bit of kit with no warranty then don't let me deter you.

audiodarkness

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Personally for the sound you're looking for I'd also look at valve, check out PrimaLuna, they make some of the best valve kit going at reasonable prices. I've not heard Quad valves for years, but I suspect they will be very good also.

iceman16

Lisa Jackson said:
cheers al ears, im looking to spend £2.600/£3000 at a push,most of my system was purchased used.we love a bargain!

I know it's a bit out of your budget but there's a Musical Fidelity AMS 35i on ebay for £3,599. IMO this will provide the type of sound you're after.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Primaluna as mentioned before, would be my choice of valve amp, or if you fancy Quad look out for a second hand 99/909 combo.

Fanthorpes HiFi should have a second hand Accuphase E350 for sale too.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Macspur said:
Primaluna as mentioned before, would be my choice of valve amp, or if you fancy Quad look out for a second hand 99/909 combo.

Fanthorpes HiFi should have a second hand Accuphase E350 for sale too.

Mac

I might agree with the Quad if the 909 wasn't such a rare beast to find second-hand.

There's a 909 and 99 pre for sale at Audio Emotion!

Mac

gasolin

Is it at all levels the sound is not up to your liking or only at high levels?

My Marntz PM8005 i feel has a very clear top and not intrusive,agressive, not at all pushing it to it's limited

Do you need a more power full amp? Some amps do get a little bright, agressive when pushed to there limited

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
issue is one I have had to contend with pretty much all my life, and it's a real pain sometimes. The Vincent I bought just doesn't have that hard edge - at any volume (and I've tried it at max volume). Nice and smooth but very detailed, never loses composure, it just goes louder in an amazingly linear sort of way. Below your budget brand-new, gorgeous looks, 5 year warranty and home demo, surely worth a listen! I wish I'd heard the other amps listed then I could give a meaningful comparison but such is life. I tried a couple of Arcams at the Vincents price point but they sounded a bit thin somehow.

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
hey there again,

Thanks for all the input, in the end we found a great deal on..........(rolls drums).....

a Pathos Logos! Hoping to keep the sound smooth and laid-back, so far loving it.

Anyone have any idea what sort of recommended interconnects and speaker cables would be a match for the Pathos?

Thanks for your previous help all, hoping you can do it again :)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Lisa Jackson said:
hey there again,

Thanks for all the input, in the end we found a great deal on..........(rolls drums).....

a Pathos Logos! Hoping to keep the sound smooth and laid-back, so far loving it.

Anyone have any idea what sort of recommended interconnects and speaker cables would be a match for the Pathos?

You will be able to be the first person to write a reader review on WHF for this amp.

http://www.whathifi.com/pathos/logos/user-reviews

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Brilliant choice of amp....It's one of the most euphonious out there.

I would look at Linn Black i/c and K20 s/c...these can usually be found on eBay at sensible prices. IMO Stick with all copper cables (not silver coated).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Lisa Jackson said:
hey there again,

Fabulous Amp!*good*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts