receiver advice

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi - visitor from South Africa here - i have been reading the local version of What Hi-Fi for a while now and i followed the UK version over the internet even longer

I have recently upgraded my speakers to the following setup:

fronts = Dali Ikon 7

centre = Dali Ikon Vokal 2

rears = Dali Ikon 2 on decent stands (may get a set of Dali Ikon on-walls as back surrounds for 7.1 purposes just to complete the setup)

for now i will be using my Acoustic Research 12" subwoofer but that is woefully inadequate in terms of quality and im hoping to improve that at a later stage - what im more concerned about is that im currently using a Denon 2808 receiver to run the setup

My question is will selling that 2808 to help partially funding a Pioneer SC-LX83 (currently an award winning product in the latest awards) create an improvement - im sure that these Dali speakers will appreciate the extra power that the LX83 can provide and my system will also benefit by the extra HDMI ports provided as well

i dont seriously intend to bother too much about 3D nor will i currently be using the networking capability or even media playback capability of the pioneer - wanting it more for the power aspects - so is it going to a sensible upgrade or will it land up being a colossal waste of the cash - in other words is the pioneer really an upgrade to the denon 2808 which for the moment seems to have everything i need ...... or should i keep the Denon as a pre-pro and get a pair of power amplifiers with the extra power i desire to bi-amp the fronts only and power the rest from the of the Denon (possibly some Crown pro amps which do have RCA input connections)

right now im struggling between which approach is best ie the simplicity of one new receiver OR the expenditure of additional power amps and cabling which would mean an expenditure of a similar amount of money OR should i forget both those and just stick to the Denon as is and ignore the feeling that i could improve matters with beefier amplification

thanks in advance for any opinions offered - rest assured that i appreciate any and all input on the matter

naughty573

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
so - has no-one actually experienced these receivers - im really keen to know if the pioneer could be considered an upgrade to my 2808 - or whether im "whistling in the wind" by making the change and it would probably make more sense to change my subwoofer and source instead

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts