Reavon 4K Blu-ray players have had a price increase!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Usually, having to turn something up is linked to higher dynamic range. Maybe the CA is doing something to the signal it shouldn’t be? I don’t know how these two players are connected up or working, but maybe one is outputting DSD and the other outputting it as PCM? Can the amp decode DSD from an SACD disc?

Reactions: michael hoy
D

Deleted member 197450

Usually, having to turn something up is linked to higher dynamic range. Maybe the CA is doing something to the signal it shouldn’t be? I don’t know how these two players are connected up or working, but maybe one is outputting DSD and the other outputting it as PCM? Can the amp decode DSD from an SACD disc?
I have just hooked up my Pioneer amp again, so I will try it with this amp instead of Denon and have another listen. Might be a while though…

D

Deleted member 197450

I thought you said you've already sold the Pioneer amp.
I had to Emporium HiFi but still selling the Formation Duo just not the Pioneer amp now, due to be collected over the weekend but all ready been paid.

D

Deleted member 197450

I might sell the Denon amp and Reavon 4K Blu-Ray player in the future or just keep them I haven’t really decided but not going to rush the decision now.

I might sell the Denon amp and Reavon 4K Blu-Ray player in the future or just keep them I haven’t really decided but not going to rush the decision now.
Don't rush into things. You've only just bought the Denon. You'll only get caught up in the vicious cycle of buying and selling things unnecessarily. Keep the Denon and forget the rest.

Also, you need to make a rule to not buy another equipment when you already have one (like UHD player). It's one thing about having an interest in AV equipment but entirely different if you don't even use them as much to get any value for money out of it.

michael hoy

Hi Gel,
Don't know if the Reavon menus are the same as the OPPO.

In the OPPO under audio processing there is an option Output Volume.
Under that option you can choose fixed or variable set it to fixed, this will set the max vol to 100.

If you can see those options give it try.

abacus

Thanks. Doesn’t seem to have that option on the Reavon just CA.

All SACD players (And any player that supports SACD) default to PCM when playing SACDs (DSD) through their digital outs, as otherwise if they just used bitstream and the connected equipment did not support SACD decoding, you would just get a digital screech out of the speakers which could cause damage to them. (This is why there is always a warning when you change from PCM to Bitstream out for SACD (DSD)
If you have everything set up correctly (And your receiver supports SACD (DSD) then DSD will show on the receiver display when playing an SACD (DSD) disc.

Bill

Last edited:

manicm

All SACD players (And any player that supports SACD) default to PCM when playing SACDs (DSD) through their digital outs, as otherwise if they just used bitstream and the connected equipment did not support SACD decoding, you would just get a digital screech out of the speakers which could cause damage to them. (This is why there is always a warning when you change from PCM to Bitstream out for SACD (DSD)
If you have everything set up correctly (And your receiver supports SACD (DSD) then DSD will show on the receiver display when playing an SACD (DSD) disc.

Bill

Which is why I maintain 99.999 % of universal AV disc players, unlike dedicated hifi SACD players, do not preserve the DSD stream before outputting to analogue outputs. It's just too expensive for them to do that.

And that includes the updated Reavon players. But it's better than nothing.

Last edited:

manicm

On an AV amp it will almost always be via HDMI.

Right now about the only true DSD preserving players I can think of are pure audio components from Marantz and PS Audio. The latter uses the I2S interface.

abacus

Which is why I maintain 99.999 % of universal AV disc players, unlike dedicated hifi SACD players, do not preserve the DSD stream before outputting to analogue outputs. It's just too expensive for them to do that.

And that includes the updated Reavon players. But it's better than nothing.

All players (Of any type) that play SACD (DSD) have to comply with the specifications laid down by Sony, so it doesn’t matter what player you have. (Now how they convert the stream to analogue is a different matter, if the output is digital (Doesn’t have to be HDMI) then the conversion is done in the connected equipment, however if the output is PCM then the decoding to analogue is done in the player, unless the PCM out is via digital where the DSD to PCM is done in the player and PCM to analogue is done in the connected equipment)

Bill

D

Deleted member 197450

Info and price on the Reavon X110:

Reactions: manicm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts