Reasonable sound proofing?

trooper

Jul 7, 2021
Visit site
We're in a semi-detached house and looking into building a home theatre in our ground floor living room with a 5.1.2 surround system. We have a party wall which is where the TV screen will be, so our front speakers will be facing away from the shared wall. How much should I be concerned with the sound leaking into their house, given that the main speakers will be facing away from the neighbour and not towards them? I assume the rear speakers and the subwoofer can still cause some noise. What would be the minimal, budget-reasonable thing I could do?

I never did anything like this, but I see that there are solutions like this one: https://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/shop/wall-soundproofing/noisestop1-plus-panel/. Would insulating the party wall with this type of material help? Would I need to insulate ceiling / floor as well?

Thank you!

D

Deleted member 160668

What is construction type, solid or cavity?

Your chances of success are extremely limited imo.

Also consider that you should not just do the party wall. You would need to also do underfloor if suspended. Even then is still do not rate your chances of success.

Finally, whatever you use - ensure it is fire safe. You do not want to cover your walls in a flamable material

D

Deleted member 160668

If going underfloor. Ignore this stuff and put an proper insulator there. Will reduce heat loss and save you money too!

abacus

Best to get a professional in (Or at least get a professional consultation) as every room is different, the soundproofing has to be perfect (Even a few mm gap will negate the sound reduction) which is beyond most DIY, (At least if you get a consultation you will know what you need to get) also as mentioned above various regulations have to be adhered to. (Insurance (In case of a fire etc.) can refuse to pay out if you have done something to the building which does not meet regulations (Or in some instances have certification)

Bill

Gray

I assume the rear speakers and the subwoofer can still cause some noise.
The neighbours are unlikely to be be aware of your rear speakers. The sub is a different story.
Your intention to protect them is admirable but, sadly doomed to failure I think.

My mate lived in a detached house, used to rattle the windows with his subwoofer.
For financial reasons, he was forced to convert upstairs to self-contained accommodation.
The point is, professional soundproofers were involved to meet approved noise standards - they brought in test speakers, took measurements and carried out the work.......Despite the regulation 'proofing', he tells me he can hear their toddler running around upstairs - using his sub is now out of the question.

It's bad enough with standard hi-fi equipment, but where subs are involved, all bets are off when it comes to protecting attached neighbours.

It's just an unfortunate fact that sound equipment and UK attached houses don't go together when playing at (even quite reasonable) realistic volume levels......unless the sound equipment is headphones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts