Rear speakers

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Having upgraded from Mission fronts and Infinity centre to PMC Twenty 23 and PMC Centre, I am not sure whether replacing the wharfedale dipole rear speakers with PMC Twenty 21 will give me more sound effect.

Will the PMC 21 considered an overkill for rear speakers? Should I just stick to the Wharfedale that I have?

The reason I am asking is because at one time, rear speakers are always about dipole technology. But nowadays I see that a 5.1 speaker package just uses a bookshelf speakers as rears.

Appreciate you comments....

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The 21s will give you the same character as the front and centre speakers, which is a plus.

On the other hand, I think dipoles are intrinsically better suited for surround effects (ambience).

So IMO it will boil down to how well the character of the Wharfedales will blend with the PMCs.

A comparison between the Wharfedales and the PMCs in your own system seems the logical next step. See what you prefer...

PS: the lack of dipole models in nowadays speaker packages is IMO largely due to economics. It's probably not worth developing dedicated dipoles as rear speakers, if you can convince the public your small standmounters are up to it. The return on investment is probably too low.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks DocG...

I do believe dipoles are more suitable for the rear function. Given the price of 21 as well... it might be an overkill for my set up... which is not even in a dedicated room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts