Rear speakers going crazy with new Onkyo 876

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently had a swap of my Onkyo 806 to a 876

Set it all up as with the 806.

Just watching Die Hard 4.0 and in some of the end action sequences at the loudest points the rear speakers are moving like crazy, to a point where they are topping out.

Never happened however loud I went with the 806.

Any ideas? are the speakers being pushed too hard with the new amp?

A

Anonymous

think i've worked this out.

The audessey set up put the rear speakers at full band, when i'm sure the 806 had them at 40Hz.

Set them to the THX (80Hz) and the movement on the speaker is a lot less.

Should this also be done with my centre as the cone do move a hell of a lot. Really most of the bass should come from the sub right??

A

Anonymous

Yeah, sub is shaking the room nicely

set the centre to 50Hz as well as it was looking to be at its limit, almost

is this usual? sure read other threads stating the erractic cone movement.

anyone else with an 876, advice on settings?

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have the 876 and use B&W 602 s3 for the fronts. LCR 60 for centre front and rear. Then 601 s3 for the rear right and left surround. I run the fronts as full band, as I have them connected to my Rel sub by the neutrik connection for hi level input. I run the others as small and set the crossover to 80hz. Then run the sub at 80hz on the crossover. It sounds good and doesnt overstress the speakers. If I hadnt got my fronts connected to the sub by the hi level input, I would run them as small and set the crossover to 80hz. As i think it gives a more open sound and puts less strain on the amp with the subs in built amp doing the work for the low level stuff.

What level do you have your tone controls set at for each channel? I leave minealone as the amp gives a powerful sound without increasing the bass and treble levels.

A

Anonymous

I haven't changed any level bass wise.

just did the mic set up, but suprised the 806 set the rears to 40Hz and the 876 set to full band.

I have set them all to 80Hz other than the fronts which are full band and bi amped.

Hope there's no damged to the speakers top out like that. check the rubber diaphram of the cones and all looks good. phew.

Stack

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If the audio is cbeing played clearly then the drivers are fine. You can tell if the driver is damaged, as the audio would not be reproduced clearly and sound fuzzy (technical term lol). I find that B&W are very tough robust units and are very hard to damage.

A

Anonymous

yeah they sound all good.

nice to know they have robustness.

new amp is singing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts