Rear ported vs front ported speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Due to space restrictions in my new house I have had to go to wall mounted speakers (used to have a pair of Monitor Audio BR2's on stands). The BR2's were a bit too heavy to go on the wall (newish house with plasterboard walls!!) so I thought I'd buy the smaller BR1's, which have a rear bass port, which i never reall thought about at the time.

Anyway, I noticed straight away that they sounded really boomey, so I put the foam bungs in the port that came with the spekers. This improved things, but I still find that I am not listening to music much as it annoys me. The speakers sound fine on songs without much bass, but the booming just drowns out the rest of the music where there is a lot of bass, which is a problem as I mostly listen to rock/metal.

So, the question is, would a pair of front bass ported speakers make the situation any better ? i.e. reduce the booming effect ?

If so, can anyone recommend a pair in the same performance bracket of the BR1's ? i.e. (~£150). The only ones I have found so far are the KEF iQ1's or Wharfedale's Diamond 9.1 ... both of which would be a bit of a pain to fit on wall brackets due to their profile.

They are being run from a Onkyo DR-S501 by the way.

Regards,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

I think having front ported speakers definately helps. I bought the q acoustics 1010i mainly as they were available with easy to fit brackets and they were front ported. In terms of size they are almost the same as your BR1's but obviously not in the same performance league. However there is still a little booming effect but I think this could be due to the surface they are mounted on and how close they are to ceilings and side walls. I dont think a rear ported speaker would sound as boomy on a concrete wall as it would on a plasterboard one. And if its in the corner of the room this could be adding to it. If im not wrong the wharfedales and the kefs are a fair bit bigger and heavier then your BR1's.

A

Anonymous

i would do a little test to see if the wall is acting like a sound board. either hold the speakers rather than have them bolted to the wall, or sit cushions between them and the bracket if its possible. There is not a lot you can do about the wall, but its not a lost cause quite yet.

block the ports entirely as another test. if it still booms, its not the port.

can you not move the port? as long as its not a small noisey one it shouldn't cause a problem. Black&Decker time! lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts