Really confused by speaker choice

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Will be going to look at buying some new kit in the next few weeks. Really like the look of the marantz pm6003. So would ultimately look for a speaker to partner this. Have considered cambridge audio but have read too many stories of poor build quality and the Marantz to my eyes looks great. The speakers I will be looking at are the following: Mordaunt Short Aviano 1, Monitor audio bx2, Dali Lektor 1 and 2's and the B and W 685 (which will be a stretch on my £300 budget for speakers). Does anyone have any experience of any of these matches to give any recommendations as all these speakers are not in one shop to have a look.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
any help anybody tried any of these combinations or can suggest any alternatives I am just looking for some advice of what I should be looking at before i definitively make a choice.

A

Anonymous

You only put the original post up an hour ago - calm down someone will answer......

matthewpiano

I recently auditioned the PM6003 with the BX2s and B&W 686s. I've also listened to it with Quad 11Ls, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and 10.1s, Dali Lektor 1 and 2, B&W 685s, and Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1s (the last of those was an extended home demo between the MS speakers and the PM6003.

The Marantz is a very fine amp and works very well with Wharfedale Diamonds and the Dali Lektor 1 and 2s. With the Avianos it can tend too much towards slightly forced detail and the sound can lack some subtlety.

Ultimately I feel the Marantz is bettered quite significantly by the Rotel RA-04SE which works very well with B&W 686 and 685s.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Found the rotel on super fi for £300. That coupled with the B and W s may push it slightly out of my price range as I am also getting some speaker stands and a onkyo ipod dock to connect my ipod. Will still try and give it a go if i can find the extra £100.

rardhian

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano:I recently auditioned the PM6003 with the BX2s and B&W 686s. I've also listened to it with Quad 11Ls, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and 10.1s, Dali Lektor 1 and 2, B&W 685s, and Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1s (the last of those was an extended home demo between the MS speakers and the PM6003.

The Marantz is a very fine amp and works very well with Wharfedale Diamonds and the Dali Lektor 1 and 2s. With the Avianos it can tend too much towards slightly forced detail and the sound can lack some subtlety.

Ultimately I feel the Marantz is bettered quite significantly by the Rotel RA-04SE which works very well with B&W 686 and 685s.

Interesting. You didn't find the Marantz's highs overamplified? I auditioned a PM6003 sometimes ago and found the highs sound somewhat fake and too much for my ear..

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
If you buy the PM6003 the Dali Lektor 2 will be a great choice. They work very well together. You can also try the new Yamaha A-S500 amp.

I'm not a fan of the 686 and 685 speakers. Too much treble and too much bass and a very weak midrange. The Dali Lektor or Monitor Audio BX2 will be a better choice.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Yeah have seen the new yamaha but im totally put of by its looks. Have read the review and it sounds great and is more powerful than the marantz but would never be allowed that in out living room by my missus.

T

the record spot

Marantz has very open and detailed sounding equipment, hence partnering it with speakers of the same qualities will result in potentially excessive brightness. Not sure what you're source will be, but one of the three (source, amp or speaker) needs to have a balancing factor to counteract everything leaning too much in the one direction.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Will be using a onkyo or arcam ir dock as source from my ipod. Will be buying a cd player when i finally move all my cds over from Ireland as they are currentely stored at my parents (Have around 350 over there). When i do that i will probably buy the matching cd player. Mp3 all encoded to at least 256kbps so there shouldn't be an issue with over emphasis of detail. What I really want to find out what would be the best speakers to partner the marantz with as I believe its detailed sound will bring the most out of my ipod through the arcam or onkyo ipod dock.

matthewpiano

I would recommend auditioning some Focal speakers if you can. I heard some of their standmounts at the hi-fi show today and they are amongst the best affordable speakers I've heard - better than the 686s, 685s, MA BX2 or the Dali Lektors IMO. I was again disappointed by the BX2s at the show today.

I'm not saying the Marantz PM6003 is bright per se, but (as RS suggests) that the combination of the 6003s with the Mordaunt-Shorts is a bit of an overload of 'open and detailed'. Funnily enough I don't think the 686s would be good for the Marantz either because the Marantz can be slightly slovenly in the bass and the 686s really don't need or want any encouragement in that department.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:I'm not saying the Marantz PM6003 is bright per se, but (as RS suggests) that the combination of the 6003s with the Mordaunt-Shorts is a bit of an overload of 'open and detailed'.

emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I had a listen to the BX2's along side the RX1's and the 385's. Now, I'm not sure if either of the MA's had been run in, but I thought that they both sounded a bit thin, where as the 685's sounded superb. Having just won the product of the year, I do need to revisit the BX2's again, but I too wonder what else I might spent my money on?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts