Real Wood Veneer Compact Floor Stand Speakers with Front Port

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
Hi, I am looking for downgrading / redoing my AVR system in a different direction for 2012.

The facts - I recently heard "Walk of Life" on a Denon Stereo Amp (PMA 2010) with some Elac Floor Standers. I came home, played the same track and I realized that though it sounded good but I am missing some thing. the best way I could describe is the layering in the sound.I am thinking it has got to do with my Stand mount Proacs.

So seriouly looking for a Real Wood Veneer Compact floor standing speaker which are front ported (to put closer to wall) and I am trying the Tannoy Signature DC6T at home tomorrow.

It has to be a Real Wood Veneer as I love that and they have to be compact as my other half reluctantly agreed to Floor Standers in living room only when she saw the Tannoy Signature.

Are there any other speakers worth considering? Price could be upto 3000 Pounds but no tall or bulky looking speakers please!

I currently have the Classe Processor with Arcam P7. I just got myself a Onkyo TX-NR3009 to replace the Classe (if it is even possible!) so the said speakers will be a part of HT + Stereo set up and the electronics wise I am flexible though I prefer that can be partnered with Onkyo as I am slowly but steadily liking it more & more!

Room size is 4m X 6m with laminated flooring and ceiling is of regular height.
 

Crocodile

New member
Jan 15, 2009
38
0
0
Spendors A6 isn't front ponted but their Linear Flow Port allows them to be placed much closer to a rear wall than most.

For some reason that apparently doesn't apply to the A3/5.
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
Crocodile said:
Spendors A6 isn't front ponted but their Linear Flow Port allows them to be placed much closer to a rear wall than most.

For some reason that apparently doesn't apply to the A3/5.
Thank You! When ever I saw no Port on front, I assumed that it is on back and I ignored these. I wonder why this is so only with A6 and not with A3 or A5
 

FennerMachine

New member
Feb 5, 2011
83
0
0
I have a room approx 2.8m x 3.3m plus a small 'L'.

When deciding on which Spendor's to get the A6 was suggested as being good for smaller rooms, easier to position than the A5 even.

The Spendor A6 is a good sounding speaker, second only to my SA1's! (In my opinion!)

They need a good demo as there real listening pleasure is in long term listening,

10 minutes and you may not get it. Make sure they are warmed up and give them a good blast for half an hour with your favourite tracks!

If you don't like them then ask why and get the 'salesman' to recommend you speakers accordingly and demo them. Also let us know so we can advise you.

You need to demo some speakers obviously but you have to start somewhere.
 

gregvet

Well-known member
Dec 24, 2008
128
10
18,595
Obvious choice for me with the arcam P7 would be PMC. Front ported transmission line design means that either the GB1i/FB1i, or better the Twenty.23 or Twenty.24 would work really well. My FB1i's are ok about ten cm from the wall.

Not heard them myself as I don't want to have to change my whole setup, but the twenty series are apparently a little bit special
 

hoopsontoast

New member
Oct 1, 2011
12
0
0
If you like the Proac sound, but want more, see if you can pick up some older 1SC's/Target R-Series Stands. Usually go for around £700.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
WishTree said:
Are there any other speakers worth considering? Price could be upto 3000 Pounds but no tall or bulky looking speakers please!
The ATC SCM40 is within budget and is a sealed box design - no ports. It might look a bit "functional" however, although with the grills on I think its fine (I actually like the look without the grills but its a personal taste thing)
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
Dr Lodge said:
The ATC SCM40 is within budget and is a sealed box design - no ports. It might look a bit "functional" however..
Thank You Dr. I managed to run it through the Home dept and it seems functional look is not so much in :(
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
hoopsontoast said:
If you like the Proac sound, but want more, see if you can pick up some older 1SC's/Target R-Series Stands. Usually go for around £700.
I guess these are stand mounts and I am not too happy with standmounts any more
 

hoopsontoast

New member
Oct 1, 2011
12
0
0
Why do you assume that standmounts are automatically worse than floorstanders. I would certainly take the Proac 1SC, ATC SCM7 or Spendor S3/5R over the A5/A6.

Your room is what, 8' by 10' roughly, not massive. And wanting speakers to be used near rear walls means I would certainly go for the S3/5R's over the A5/A6 models. The Proacs need a little space around them even though they are front ported.

I would have thought that SCM40's will be too big for the room, but I could be wrong.

EDIT, just seen I was reading the wrong post. Your room is a lot bigger. Ignore that above :oops:

Is it bass depth/punch that you are missing? As thats likely to be the main difference you may get from going floorstanders over standmounts. Although at that price, I would look at the ATC SCM20.
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
hoopsontoast said:
EDIT, just seen I was reading the wrong post. Your room is a lot bigger. Ignore that above :oops:

Is it bass depth/punch that you are missing? As thats likely to be the main difference you may get from going floorstanders over standmounts. Although at that price, I would look at the ATC SCM20.
:) ignored!

I miss the ability to identify the instruments seperately when playing music. It gives a depth / dimension. My observation is that the Standmount speakers fail to do it and not all Floor standers do it either. May be this comes from the combination of the amplifier and speaker..no idea but that is waht I am looking for!

The pure low end sound is automatically taken care by PV1 subwoofer, so that part is taken care.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
9
0
WishTree said:
I miss the ability to identify the instruments seperately when playing music. It gives a depth / dimension. My observation is that the Standmount speakers fail to do it and not all Floor standers do it either. May be this comes from the combination of the amplifier and speaker..no idea but that is waht I am looking for!

The pure low end sound is automatically taken care by PV1 subwoofer, so that part is taken care.
The abilities you seek start with the quality of the source, need to be maintained (without distortion/excessive processing etc) through the amp and then relayed faithfully through the speakers. All systems add a certain amount of "character", so it's a matter of choosing your poison, so to speak.

It's quite possible that your Proacs, while having a smooth mid-range, are somewhat masking the enjoyment / detail / layering / enthusiasm of the music; but I suspect you need to maintain the quality of source/pre-pro/power amp, with any decent speakers you end up with, to achieve your goal. The fact you owned an Inpol and decent TT, is likely to have raised the bar on your expectations.
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
CnoEvil said:
WishTree said:
I miss the ability to identify the instruments seperately when playing music. It gives a depth / dimension. My observation is that the Standmount speakers fail to do it and not all Floor standers do it either. May be this comes from the combination of the amplifier and speaker..no idea but that is waht I am looking for!

The pure low end sound is automatically taken care by PV1 subwoofer, so that part is taken care.
The abilities you seek start with the quality of the source, need to be maintained (without distortion/excessive processing etc) through the amp and then relayed faithfully through the speakers. All systems add a certain amount of "character", so it's a matter of choosing your poison, so to speak. It's quite possible that your Proacs, while having a smooth mid-range, are somewhat masking the enjoyment / detail / layering / enthusiasm of the music; but I suspect you need to maintain the quality of source/pre-pro/power amp, with any decent speakers you end up with, to achieve your goal. The fact you owned an Inpol and decent TT, is likely to have raised the bar on your expectations.
Cno.. Please read my other post in Home Theatre section!

BTW, I have changed my speaker cables from Belkin Pure AV to Chord Silver Screen. I hope that the Belkin is not the culprit as I have been using these Belkin speakers cables for like ages!
 

jolls

New member
Jul 5, 2010
5
0
0
Many years ago I used Castle Severn flooststanders with Arcam equipment. Sounded good to my ears. Now the brand has been resurrected by IAG they are available again. Haven't seen any reviews but some are sealed design and all are real wood. Just a curve ball to add to the mix.
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
hoopsontoast said:
If you dont need the bass depth, I would certainly recommend the SCM20, see if you can get an audition :)
I don't need the bass but the entire ATC range will not be allowed in the living by the other half.

I seriously do not get this. An expensive Car will have to look great, though it has all the right stuff under the hood. But when it comes to HiFi, especially the Speakers, somehow some manufactures just make the speakers functional and charge hefty sums. I am sure they might be beating good looking speaker in the same range with respect to performance but c'mon, you will be looking at them too!

Yeah.. I also get it that the looks are subjective but, still.. some are pretty, some are passable, some are purely functional & industrial..

I love Pathos Acoustics and Sonus Faber very well.. the equipment is almost art it itself.. Just like the Roksan Radius record player (missi it!)
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
BTW, Got the Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T.. Ran them till now for 20 hours or so.. amazing imaging, precision but the high frequencies are a little too high for me, as of now (though not bothering as much to return the speakers back).

May be they need to run-in a little more.. don't know.
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
WishTree said:
hoopsontoast said:
If you dont need the bass depth, I would certainly recommend the SCM20, see if you can get an audition :)
I don't need the bass but the entire ATC range will not be allowed in the living by the other half.

I seriously do not get this. An expensive Car will have to look great, though it has all the right stuff under the hood. But when it comes to HiFi, especially the Speakers, somehow some manufactures just make the speakers functional and charge hefty sums. I am sure they might be beating good looking speaker in the same range with respect to performance but c'mon, you will be looking at them too!

Yeah.. I also get it that the looks are subjective but, still.. some are pretty, some are passable, some are purely functional & industrial..

I love Pathos Acoustics and Sonus Faber very well.. the equipment is almost art it itself.. Just like the Roksan Radius record player (missi it!)
How about some piano black SCM12s? ;)
 
BenLaw said:
WishTree said:
hoopsontoast said:
If you dont need the bass depth, I would certainly recommend the SCM20, see if you can get an audition :)
I don't need the bass but the entire ATC range will not be allowed in the living by the other half.

I seriously do not get this. An expensive Car will have to look great, though it has all the right stuff under the hood. But when it comes to HiFi, especially the Speakers, somehow some manufactures just make the speakers functional and charge hefty sums. I am sure they might be beating good looking speaker in the same range with respect to performance but c'mon, you will be looking at them too!

Yeah.. I also get it that the looks are subjective but, still.. some are pretty, some are passable, some are purely functional & industrial..

I love Pathos Acoustics and Sonus Faber very well.. the equipment is almost art it itself.. Just like the Roksan Radius record player (missi it!)
How about some piano black SCM12s? ;)
Very nice but fail to see how the fit the OP's real wood veneeer question!! :)
 

WishTree

Well-known member
May 18, 2010
107
1
18,595
Alears said:
Very nice but fail to see how the fit the OP's real wood veneeer question!! :)
Exactly! I used to love the Gloss Black but mostly from seeing the awesome pictures on internet. For some time, I had the B&W CM9 in Gloss Black. They look gorgeous but the finish+color tired me so quickly that, now I am almost averse to any gloss finishes especially when there is a possibility to get in a Wood Finish :)
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
Alears said:
BenLaw said:
WishTree said:
hoopsontoast said:
If you dont need the bass depth, I would certainly recommend the SCM20, see if you can get an audition :)
I don't need the bass but the entire ATC range will not be allowed in the living by the other half.

I seriously do not get this. An expensive Car will have to look great, though it has all the right stuff under the hood. But when it comes to HiFi, especially the Speakers, somehow some manufactures just make the speakers functional and charge hefty sums. I am sure they might be beating good looking speaker in the same range with respect to performance but c'mon, you will be looking at them too!

Yeah.. I also get it that the looks are subjective but, still.. some are pretty, some are passable, some are purely functional & industrial..

I love Pathos Acoustics and Sonus Faber very well.. the equipment is almost art it itself.. Just like the Roksan Radius record player (missi it!)
How about some piano black SCM12s? ;)
Very nice but fail to see how the fit the OP's real wood veneeer question!! :)
Oh yeah! :doh:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS