Re. My recent requests for opinions on 2nd hand amps.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Recently I've posted a couple of times asking for opinions on 2nd hand amps to go with a Roksan Kandy KC1 CDP.

A couple of suggestions I've come up with have definitely divided opinion and I'm more confused than ever. Demos are out of the question as I intend to buy off ebay in the hope that a more modest budget will get me more.

As I still have a couple of months before I really need a stereo amp (using my Marantz at the mo) might I be best served by staying patient and waiting to see if an affordable Roksan amp (c£200) comes up. (Not a K2 btw)

Guess I'm not the only one on here where patience is not really a virtue

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
richardw42:

A couple of suggestions I've come up with have definitely divided opinion and I'm more confused than ever

... your typical forum then ...

richardw42:

Hi

Recently I've posted a couple of times asking for opinions on 2nd hand amps to go with a Roksan Kandy KC1 CDP.

A couple of suggestions I've come up with have definitely divided opinion and I'm more confused than ever. Demos are out of the question as I intend to buy off ebay in the hope that a more modest budget will get me more.

As I still have a couple of months before I really need a stereo amp (using my Marantz at the mo) might I be best served by staying patient and waiting to see if an affordable Roksan amp (c£200) comes up. (Not a K2 btw)

Guess I'm not the only one on here where patience is not really a virtue

Could you remind us what the previous suggestions were, and a little more insight about your confusion.

As Drummerman says, it's not unusual to slightly baffled by various takes. Hi-fi has had me stupefied for the past 30 years...LOL.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
It was a pioneer A400 & Arcam A65+. Both seemed to have some loyal fans and equal number of people who didn't like them. One forum I found via google were delighting in ripping apart the A400.

I can't believe how much they go for 2nd hand, I'm sure I only paid about £200 when I bought new getting on for 20 years ago.

I was willing to experiment with amps at around £100, as I knew I could sell them on for roughly the same amount I bought them.

But if I am going to spend 200-300 rather get it near right first time.

I'm guessing I'm going to prob. go for Monitor Audio speakers as I can't fault the 2 pairs I've had so far. Floostanders or standmounts not sure yet but I always feel that standmount look more vulnerable.

Okay. Here goes.

The Kandy CDP has a lively presentation, likewise Monitor Audio tends to veer that way too. In order to balance out what you hear, it is not ideal to match lively with lively/bright partners. It's the same with warm elecronics: you mix warm amp with a warm CDP and speakers that have similar traits, you'll end up with a horrid wooly sound.

Last time I think I gave the
emotion-21.gif
to the A65+. It's slightly languid presentation will tame any forwardness produced by your CDP and speakers. Others to consider are:

Exposure, Marantz PM 7200, Nad.

have a look at this link. http://whathifi.com/Video/How-to-system-match-your-hi-fi/Vidcasts/Page3/

The A65 is a fine amp for the money if you place it in a small-medium room. It is also fantastic at low volumes, but if you want entertain the neighbours look elsewhere.

As regards the Pioneer you mentioned - I love 'em. I had a Pioneer amp for the best part of 17 years, but I would suggest, because of their slightly forward nature, it wouldn't be the greatest match, hence why I've mentioned Arcam, Nad, Exposure and Marantz.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Penguin.

That was a great post and points me in the right direction.

Yeah I think you've got my taste nailed. I like detail and punch but don't like too analytical a sound.

As I write this I'm listening to WITHIN TEMPTATION - AN ACOUSTIC NIGHT AT THE THEATRE on the Roksan with my Marantz and MA BR5. It sounds lovely but on a dedicated system I'd like just a bit more of the same.

(As the NR1501 is only 50 wpc I played safe with the BR5, thought it might struggle with the bigger models)

One thing I like about the new CDP it seems to have got control of the sound from CDs by Korn, SOAD etc whereas lesser players I've had always seem to struggle keeping up (make sense?)

richardw42:

Thanks Penguin.

That was a great post and points me in the right direction.

Yeah I think you've got my taste nailed. I like detail and punch but don't like too analytical a sound.

As I write this I'm listening to WITHIN TEMPTATION - AN ACOUSTIC NIGHT AT THE THEATRE on the Roksan with my Marantz and MA BR5. It sounds lovely but on a dedicated system I'd like just a bit more of the same.

(As the NR1501 is only 50 wpc I played safe with the BR5, thought it might struggle with the bigger models)

One thing I like about the new CDP it seems to have got control of the sound from CDs by Korn, SOAD etc whereas lesser players I've had always seem to struggle keeping up (make sense?)

I'm please it's helped.

Another benefit of Arcam is they have a wonderful built-in phono stage, probably makes some of the best at the price. Also, if you hanker after upgrading later down the line, Arcams power amps bi-amped produce fantastic results. I would love that with my old A65 but the OH put a block on additional boxes...such is life.

A

Anonymous

richardw42:I like detail and punch but don't like too analytical a sound.

You should consider NAD amps. I can't remember which amp (or magazine) but one of their budget amps has been acclaimed as "gold" for the price. Sorry, not hugely helpful. Nonetheless, the C316 and C320 BEE amps are very good indeed for the cash and fit your tastes for rhythmic, punchy and musical rather than neutral or detailed as prime characteristics. Plus, you could have a new 316 for about £200. Even the more expensive ones can be bought for a reasonable price and you get a lot of amp for your money.

A

Anonymous

im driving rx6s with a maranz cd6003/pm6003 combo , and while i havnt heard many other systems , the marantz , at 45 watts does a fine job ..

if your looking at nad amps , well the c326bee anyway , with br5s , be sure to demo , as its a very bassy combo , too bassy for me , but maybe fine for you ..

maxflinn:

im driving rx6s with a maranz cd6003/pm6003 combo , and while i havnt heard many other systems , the marantz , at 45 watts does a fine job ..

if your looking at nad amps , well the c326bee anyway , with br5s , be sure to demo , as its a very bassy combo , too bassy for me , but maybe fine for you ..

Marantz have always made good stuff (look at my sig), and from what I've read and heard the older Marantzes would probably balance the Kandy CDP and MA speakers a little better.

A

Anonymous

aye pp , i recall esp recently saying that he demoed a few modern pricey amps that didnt better his marantz thats about 15 years old i believe...

the pm6003 is better in many ways imo than the c326bee , so good in fact that im struggling to justify an upgrade
emotion-1.gif

maxflinn:

aye pp , i recall esp recently saying that he demoed a few modern pricey amps that didnt better his marantz thats about 15 years old i believe...

the pm6003 is better in many ways imo than the c326bee , so good in fact that im struggling to justify an upgrade
emotion-1.gif

Agree all the way with you, Max. Like you, Marantz have made some corking amps and CDPs (and...cough, cough...tuners
emotion-5.gif
), and in this particular instance I'm not necessarily looking at amps to outgun the OPs current amp, but to try and strike a better sonic balance, given the Roksan CDP he has can be forward sounding.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The A400 is a nice amp, but outclassed these days. I bought one in 1990 for £240, and it's still going strong, but I wouldn't buy one now. Things have moved on. My old Arcam A85 was a better amp and can be had for similar money to the A400 and takes 15 years off too.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
richardw42:
It was a pioneer A400 & Arcam A65+. Both seemed to have some loyal fans and equal number of people who didn't like them. One forum I found via google were delighting in ripping apart the A400.

I can't believe how much they go for 2nd hand, I'm sure I only paid about £200 when I bought new getting on for 20 years ago.

I was willing to experiment with amps at around £100, as I knew I could sell them on for roughly the same amount I bought them.

But if I am going to spend 200-300 rather get it near right first time.

I'm guessing I'm going to prob. go for Monitor Audio speakers as I can't fault the 2 pairs I've had so far. Floostanders or standmounts not sure yet but I always feel that standmount look more vulnerable.

With that budget and the potential of M/A speakers I dont think you'll go far wrong with the likes of the Arcam Alpha 10 integrated or the Arcam DiVA A85 integrated. Both can be 'oomphed' with their matching power amps at a later stage (if the speakers you buy are bi-wireable/bi-amp'able)
emotion-5.gif

What kind of music do you listen to?

SteveR750

Given the tonal balance you are looking for then +1 for a used NAD amp. There are plenty around used so you should be able to find a good example at a good price. I'd personally look at a 352 which was a WHF product of the year meaning everyone bought one. Now they are popping up everywhere and a great bargain used. It will stand an upgrared too, and has enough grunt and control to drive a broad range of speakers. You kight find pairing the Kandy with a Marantz to be too lightweight / bright for your tastes.

T

the record spot

For the money (around £300?) for an Arcam Alpha 10 in good nick and possibly the same for the A85, you'd need to spend significantly more to improve on either. Terrific amps, upgrade options make a degree of future-proofing available and good quality to boot. There's not a whole lot out there under £1000 and possibly a good bit more that comes close.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
I can see that the op, from being confused after the original thread, now has a crystal clear idea of what he needs
emotion-2.gif

I love forums.

...well it simply highlights the fact that there's no right answer! I've heard one or two system combos that many rate as "super-duper" and wondered what the fuss was about. Ultimately, the only way to work this out is to audition. If you can't then roll a dice.

igglebert:drummerman:

I can see that the op, from being confused after the original thread, now has a crystal clear idea of what he needs
emotion-2.gif

I love forums.

...well it simply highlights the fact that there's no right answer! I've heard one or two system combos that many rate as "super-duper" and wondered what the fuss was about. Ultimately, the only way to work this out is to audition. If you can't then roll a dice.

Exactly my original point. Because he can't audition, rather than going for something that maybe outside his budget I tried the balanced, pragmatic take.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who's taken time to post on this thread.

The Nad is starting to look very interesting. A friend of mine when I was about 17 had some Nad seperates which was significantly better than anything I'd heard up to that point.

Is the 352 a significant improvement over the 350 ?

Think I'll borrow the BR5s off my HC to test to see if it suits MA.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The NAD C352 integrated amp is a stunner and would do very well but so are the Arcam Alpha 10 and A85 amps.

Another to consider would be the NAD C355BEE; it may only have 4 stars via a WHF review but its an amp you should demo; even if to rule out. It is a damn good amp and IMO has the same soundstage as the NAD C352

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts