admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, is there really any sonic difference between fully-balanced XLR terminated interconnects and RCA terminated ones?

Primare recommends using the balanced inputs. So I'm using QED Qunex Silver Spiral balanced XLR interconnects (a freebie from my dealer). But I think (I'm not sure) I enjoy the sound more using my RCA terminated Atlas Equator Superior or are my ears playing tricks on me?

A

Anonymous

XLR is supposed to be better but that does not matter. If RCA sounds better to you then they are the best. There are as many opinions about sound as there are people but only your opinion matters

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
joestone:XLR is supposed to be better but that does not matter. If RCA sounds better to you then they are the best. There are as many opinions about sound as there are people but only your opinion matters

Agreed that personal preference is important. However, XLR can sound noticably better as long as the XLR outputs are properly balanced as in the case of Primare. Some manufacturers offer XLR outputs which are not properly balanced and take the same feed offered through RCA, so its always worth checking.

At the end of the day, its one thing in many that will help in achieving a better sound overall
emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
audioaffair:
joestone:XLR is supposed to be better but that does not matter. If RCA sounds better to you then they are the best. There are as many opinions about sound as there are people but only your opinion matters

Agreed that personal preference is important. However, XLR can sound noticably better as long as the XLR outputs are properly balanced as in the case of Primare. Some manufacturers offer XLR outputs which are not properly balanced and take the same feed offered through RCA, so its always worth checking.

At the end of the day, its one thing in many that will help in achieving a better sound overall
emotion-1.gif

I agree. Another thing worth noting is that the OP is using two different interconnect brands. Maybe a better assessment would be testing the Atlas in XLR form.

A

Anonymous

Hello!

Hello!

That´s because you QED is Silver Plated OFC and the Atlas is Pure Copper. I Also changed from silver plated cables to copper cables and will never leave copper.

You have to get a Copper XLR from Atlas...

Regards.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes!

my new Primare A34.2 power amp takes either. I can connect my M-DAC either using 0.5m of Chord Cameleon Plus phonos or cheap but well-made 0.5m XLRs from Amazon. The sound from the XLRs was noticeably better in that there was less harshness, better cohesion & tighter bass. £15 v £100 for the phonos. Tried the comparison Xmas evening with a few audio-savvy friends around - everyone thought the same that the difference was more than subtle.

regards

A

Anonymous

jtein said:
Hi, is there really any sonic difference between fully-balanced XLR terminated interconnects and RCA terminated ones?

There is at my place. I made an A/B-test with XLR vs. RCA. With the XLR connection, it sounds like volume is boosted but so that the noise floor remains low.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
For long runs of cable, a balanced system is generally better as it significantly reduces electrical noise picked up by the cable run. This is why balanced systems are used in professional settings (studios etc) where extended cable runs are more likely. For short runs there is no difference between balanced or unbalanced.

Balanced systems generally run at higher signal levels than unbalanced systems, so depending on how a balanced signal is connected to an unbalanced input, this can result in the input sounding much louder.

XLR connecters do not define whether a system is balanced or not. While XLR connectors are used in balanced systems, they can just as easily be unbalanced. Many broadcasters use 'stereo' 1/4 inch jacks for balanced signals.

Although there is no fundamental reason why balanced or unbalanced links will sound different, it is more than possible that a manufacturer has used a different driver circuit for the balanced and unbalanced link and the two outputs could possibly sound different. If there is a difference, this is nothing to do with connector type, cable brand name or whether the link is balanced or not. This is due to circuit topology and design.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
jtein said:

Primare recommends using the balanced inputs. So I'm using QED Qunex Silver Spiral balanced XLR interconnects (a freebie from my dealer). But I think (I'm not sure) I enjoy the sound more using my RCA terminated Atlas Equator Superior or are my ears playing tricks on me?

The benefits of XLR balanced connections over un-balanced RCA are when the cable runs are long and where there is an electrically noisy environment, ie a studio. The connections can also be more secure depending on design (some have locking clips). They offer no real benefit in a normal home environment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts