Question RCA interconnect

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
TBF I'll be replacing two 1m XLR cables tomorrow with two 2m ones, its tight and I am/was worried about the stress on the sockets. 2 metres seems to be an odd size so I paid a fair bit more, £18. Do I expect a difference sound wise ? no. Will I be happier will the mechanical connections? yes.

Reactions: hifi

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Sitting here listening to my set up it hit me why havent i tried this ! So my current setup is i have the CD is connected via Optical and RCA too the same Amp/streamer PM7000. I also have a PM6005 connected to my TV Via optical.

I am going too plug the RCA cable too the PM6005 ,too compare the PM7000 & the PM6005 this will enable me too compare the 2 Amps ,i like the fact the PM6005 has a loudness switch.

WayneKerr

Sitting here listening to my set up it hit me why havent i tried this ! So my current setup is i have the CD is connected via Optical and RCA too the same Amp/streamer PM7000. I also have a PM6005 connected to my TV Via optical.

I am going too plug the RCA cable too the PM6005 ,too compare the PM7000 & the PM6005 this will enable me too compare the 2 Amps ,i like the fact the PM6005 has a loudness switch.
I'd be interested in your thoughts and opinion, doubt there'll be much in it but I could be wrong... I generally am :)

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
I'd be interested in your thoughts and opinion, doubt there'll be much in it but I could be wrong... I generally am :)
So the last week or so i have been playing the same CD one that i know well and love at diffrent times of the day too compare.
I can definitely say the PM7000 is way better in every aspect at low volume and way way better at meduim to high volume. I am going too give it a few more weeks then swap the cables wish me luck 😎

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray
So the last week or so i have been playing the same CD one that i know well and love at diffrent times of the day too compare.
I can definitely say the PM7000 is way better in every aspect at low volume and way way better at meduim to high volume. I am going too give it a few more weeks then swap the cables wish me luck 😎
I am still not sure where a cable change comes into this......

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I just got some audioquest interconnects to replace the el cheapos that came with the turntable and they obviously don't come with a ground wire. I used to always hear that the ground wire was important. Should I remove the wire from the old ones and reattach it or no?

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
I just got some audioquest interconnects to replace the el cheapos that came with the turntable and they obviously don't come with a ground wire. I used to always hear that the ground wire was important. Should I remove the wire from the old ones and reattach it or no?
You will need the ground wire new or old !

Reactions: spl84

abacus

It depends on how the turntable is wired, if you are not getting any hum or interference then don't worry about it, otherwise add the ground wire.

Bill

Gray

Indeed, you can have too many grounds...
True, you can.
But if he were to get too many grounds by re-using the ground wire.....then there would have been too many grounds with his old cable.
The only thing that will have changed is that ground will be missing - no other connection changes at either end.
So if he needed it before, he needs it still.

(It's possible that it won't bring any noticeable hum reduction, but it really shouldn't add any).

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr and spl84

Gray

Apparently you're right. I just added it back and I could hear an audible hum which goes away when I remove it. So I guess I will be going groundless for the time being.
You changed only a twin RCA cable ✅
You're using the same amp as before ✅
Connecting back the originally connected ground cable gave you a hum?

See the thing is, unless someone can point out something I'm missing, when you now re- connect the separate ground cable, you have no more (or less) grounds than you previously had.

In terms of all electrical connections, nothing has changed between what you had before and what you have now (someone please correct me).
It can only be the case that with the old RCA cable, the same no hum / hum situation occurs when connecting / disconnecting the ground wire.

You may not care (and I wouldn't blame you) in which case, good luck to you (y)

(But I couldn't stand the mystery myself, I'd have to investigate and confirm what's going on 🙃).

TRENDING THREADS