Question RCA interconnect

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Hi Gray
Absolutely 100% certain. I had a Yamaha amp for donkey's years (which didn't buzz) and eventually bought a little A11 Tribute and the bloomin thing buzzed. Maybe you'd say "hummed", but you know what I mean. I think it was on this forum that I read about DC potentially causing the buzz. Rather than spend big bucks on a DC blocker, I found a guy on Youtube who reckoned a better shielded power cable might work. As it was only about 12 quid for the bits and a DC blocker is much more expensive, I gave it a try. No buzz. Put the old cable back in and it buzzed. So yeah... I am 100% certain that it doesn't buzz now and 99% certain it's down to the cable. I say 99% sure cos it's never good to be too dogmatic :)
m.d.
There'll be a few owners of DC blockers that must be wishing that they'd taken your cheaper option Mark.

It's often (correctly) pointed out on cable threads that for any cable to make a genuine difference, there must necessarily be a measurable difference.
That would certainly be the case with your cable - DC at the transformer must be being eliminated (or at least adequately reduced).
And that could be measured.

Glad your buzz got cured 👍

Last edited:

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Hi Gray
Absolutely 100% certain. I had a Yamaha amp for donkey's years (which didn't buzz) and eventually bought a little A11 Tribute and the bloomin thing buzzed. Maybe you'd say "hummed", but you know what I mean. I think it was on this forum that I read about DC potentially causing the buzz. Rather than spend big bucks on a DC blocker, I found a guy on Youtube who reckoned a better shielded power cable might work. As it was only about 12 quid for the bits and a DC blocker is much more expensive, I gave it a try. No buzz. Put the old cable back in and it buzzed. So yeah... I am 100% certain that it doesn't buzz now and 99% certain it's down to the cable. I say 99% sure cos it's never good to be too dogmatic :)
m.d.

That is interesting, and the better cable was fairly cheap too. It is perhaps conceivable the original mains lead was poor quality, or defective. Sometimes companies will create a great product and then throw in substandard accessories, presumably due to a bean counter throwing their weight around.

Buzzing seems to be not uncommon with amps. I have heard about buzzing from some Rega and AudioLab amps, and no doubt others can too, and this seems to be. a quality control issue. I bought an amp that buzzed loudly, and I managed to get a replacement. The shop demo unit did not buzz when used in my home, the replacement has skight buzzing on rate occasions. In this case it seems to be a DC offset on the mains that is the cause. I did use the same mains lead with all three amps, if I hear a buzz, I’ll swap mains cables as an experiment.

The only way I know to induce a current in a cable, other than by applying a voltage, is to place it in a rapidly changing magnetic field, or by moving the cable through a constant magnetic field.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
That is interesting, and the better cable was fairly cheap too. It is perhaps conceivable the original mains lead was poor quality, or defective. Sometimes companies will create a great product and then throw in substandard accessories, presumably due to a bean counter throwing their weight around.

Buzzing seems to be not uncommon with amps. I have heard about buzzing from some Rega and AudioLab amps, and no doubt others can too, and this seems to be. a quality control issue. I bought an amp that buzzed loudly, and I managed to get a replacement. The shop demo unit did not buzz when used in my home, the replacement has skight buzzing on rate occasions. In this case it seems to be a DC offset on the mains that is the cause. I did use the same mains lead with all three amps, if I hear a buzz, I’ll swap mains cables as an experiment.

The only way I know to induce a current in a cable, other than by applying a voltage, is to place it in a rapidly changing magnetic field, or by moving the cable through a constant magnetic field.
👀 not a bad earth connection ?

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
We must point out (for the benefit of future readers of this thread) that the original mains lead was not the cause of the buzzing.

Are you saying the mains lead he swapped out was not the original, or that a mains lead cannot cause buzzing? I certainly agree that a non faulty mains lead, cheap or not, cannot cause buzzing. And I don’t know any fault that could cause buzzing, however, I am not an electrical engineer. It sounds like you might be.

As an aside, I saw today a bargain mains lead. Only £350, normal price £450. As new, unopened. You might be able to buy it if you rush.

In my view anyone who buys that is soft in the head. The shop even says the newer model is slightly better sounding. Now I do wonder if Trading Standards would step in. (Actually they are useless.) If this is a way to milk Russian oligarchs and crime gang leaders of money, good, but I fear not.

record_spot

Sorry I went to a dealer I was at the time still choosing my amp didn't get in to cables choice at the time, didn't even know it could matter.

I said to the salesman it's good but I'm missing something it's a little flat. I don't know what cable was used before or after the change (speaker cable ) so no shinny expensive influence, but there it was rythme musicality enjoyment the amp was a Lavardin speakers where sonus faber guenarri memento
So don't tell mee cables don't affect the sound

Capacitance, impedence, there's the (minor) difference. Been through this so many times, these days I just use Fisual cables. A basic optical cable between TV and AVI actives, and a pair of their Havana XL interconnects between my Cambridge 200M DAC to the AVI's line-in.

Some background. Speaker cables - I used to use Audioquest Type IV. Thought I'd give some 2.5mm multistrand cable a spin. Sounded great. The Audioquests were subsequently sold on and I kept the bog standard multistrand until I moved over to actives.

Interconnects - I tried loads. Easily over a dozen. Up to Chord Chorus (£200) and Atlas Navigators (also about £200).

Bought the aforesaid Fisuals (at the time, £35 a metre, these days about £45). The Havana XL is probably one of the best built cables I've owned. Sturdy, comes with locking "lugs" that give you a good secure connection to the phono ins. They're not overly tight (some phono cables should be entered into the World's Strongest Man competition when you try to remove them!) and for the money are a steal.

I got into trying out cables after a review of Van den Hul's "The Name" in this very parish turned out to be the biggest load of old cods. Incidentally, yes, my gear is "resolving" enough and my ears are fine. Just getting those two out the way early.

Digital cables - it's not even funny how much of a con this is.

Last edited:

Gray

Are you saying the mains lead he swapped out was not the original, or that a mains lead cannot cause buzzing?
No, it was the original he swapped out.
And yes, I am saying that a mains cable cannot be the cause of a buzzy transformer.

As for cable prices you're right, it's crazy.
Whenever you look at the ranges, without exception the more expensive ones are said to be better.
The way they describe the difference increments according to price is just laughable (although it's really not funny).

Mark Dunlop

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
No, it was the original he swapped out.
And yes, I am saying that a mains cable cannot be the cause of a buzzy transformer.

As for cable prices you're right, it's crazy.
Whenever you look at the ranges, without exception the more expensive ones are said to be better.
The way they describe the difference increments according to price is just laughable (although it's really not funny).
I don't claim any knowledge, but I think it wasn't the cable that caused the buzz/hum. It's DC in the supply to the transformer that causes it to hum AFAIK. As I said when I posted it - I don't know why the lead I made stopped the buzz and I'm not even 100% sure I know what caused the buzz in the first place. It's not like LAPP Olflex is super-expensive, kryptonite-shielded 100% pure silver stuff. All I can say with complete accuracy is that there is no buzz now. That's what matters to me. There are things I like to understand and other things I'm happy not to understand as long as they work!
m.d.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a question
I recently got to rear dacs playing between optical an coax didn’t had the chance testing usb
I find coax to have a more relaxed presentation
Opt was brighter almost agressif but better bass
Any head the same observations?
should usb be somewhere in between theoretically speaking

Reactions: hifi
I have a question
I recently got to rear dacs playing between optical an coax didn’t had the chance testing usb
I find coax to have a more relaxed presentation
Opt was brighter almost agressif but better bass
Any head the same observations?
should usb be somewhere in between theoretically speaking
Start a new thread please , this has nothing to do with this thread..

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
I don't claim any knowledge, but I think it wasn't the cable that caused the buzz/hum. It's DC in the supply to the transformer that causes it to hum AFAIK. As I said when I posted it - I don't know why the lead I made stopped the buzz and I'm not even 100% sure I know what caused the buzz in the first place. It's not like LAPP Olflex is super-expensive, kryptonite-shielded 100% pure silver stuff. All I can say with complete accuracy is that there is no buzz now. That's what matters to me. There are things I like to understand and other things I'm happy not to understand as long as they work!
m.d.

A DC offset on the mains is the usual cause of a transformer hum. I know from experience that amps from a given manufacturer can vary in their susceptibility to hum, and the hum may vary throughout the day. Apparently if you or the neighbours use a badly behaved appliance, or someone is working on the mains supply, the DC offset can increase.

A DC offset on the mains is the usual cause of a transformer hum. I know from experience that amps from a given manufacturer can vary in their susceptibility to hum, and the hum may vary throughout the day. Apparently if you or the neighbours use a badly behaved appliance, or someone is working on the mains supply, the DC offset can increase.
^^^^ This

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts