Rather loud popping sounds - bit of a concern!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all, perhaps one of you can help me here! Ever since I've owned my Denon AVC A10SE I've heard popping sounds when turning on the DVD player, or hitting play/pause or any number of other functions, especially switching from DD/DTS to 5/7 Channel Stereo on the amp. All the speakers go "POP" quite loudly. Since adding a new Power amp and going up to 7.1 surround it seems to have gotten louder. Is this normal with AV Amps? Is something in the Denon in need of servicing? Maybe a capacitor or something. Or is it nothing to worry about at all. I just don't want to harm my lovely speakers and I'd rather take care of my gear by having it serviced if that's what it needs. Looking forward to hearing what everyone thinks :)

A

Anonymous

Its interference from something. I had the same thing happen on my system with my beer fridge when the compressor started and even louder when it stopped. And my receivers volume potentiometer is motorised, so, there is a quiet hissing coming from the speakers when I turn the volume up and down when not playing a source.

A

Anonymous

Except that it is a sound that occures when I do something. It doesn't happen arbitrarilly. It's mostly when changing a sound configuration on the amp, or (ah yes, now I remember) playing a DVD from the main menu. As it switches to DD 5.1 output the amp "pops". Anyone have any ideas?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sounds like muting relays, which are there to avoid any nasty noise while the receiver locks onto the digital signal and engages the correct decoding mode. They've just got louder because you now have more amp gain.

Move along, please - nothing more to worry about here...

A

Anonymous

Oh good! So they don't need to be replaced or anything and I suppose that would explain it very well! Shouldn't they work in tandem with some sort of electronic damping mechanism? Same pop usually happens when the DVD changes layer. Will my upgrade, (one-day to occur) solve the layer issue at least, through buffering up to 10 seconds and not making the changeover apparent to the viewer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts