ranking the stars

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can someone please rank the following 40 and 42" TVs?

Would be used for mostly regular (non digital) cable TV watching and DVDs (probably in the near future digital TV and Blu-Rays as well).... Picture is most important, sound less so as I have a great Yamaha surround sound system...

A. Sony Bravia KDL 40 W3000

B. Panasonic Viera TH 42 PZ 70 E

C. Samsung LE 40 F86

D. Pioneer Kuro PDP 428 XD

thanks!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No problem:

1) D - Pioneer. 2007 Product of the Year TV, and still outstanding

2) B - Panasonic. Again this plasma still outguns LCD rivals

3) A - Sony. Still about the best 40in LCD around

4) C - Samsung. Good LCD, but not as good as the Sony.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Strange that same parts same technology but smaller LCD size has different results ! Wow I am bowled out.

I recently visited shop near my house and saw the 40w3000, when I turned the volume to 60% I couldn't stand in front of it for more then 10 seconds it sounded like busted bamboo. I am wondering if batches supplied to different location have different results too, I tested it in NL.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The thing is, it's not the same parts, same technology - flat panels of different sizes (but the same range) can be made in different factories (sometimes even by different vendors!).

Also, even if the sets are almost-identical for performance, at each size they may face different competition - for example, the 40-42in market is far more crowded than the 46in one (at present).

And finally, I don't disagree re the Sony's sound - it's something we've commented on (along with the sound on many, many flatscreens). However, the original question specifically said picture quality was less important than sound.

We realise many aspects of a set are of different import to others, which is why all our TV Supertest give individual star ratings for sound, picture, features etc, as well as an overall star rating.

And of course you can always come on here with your specific needs and we'll give you a tailored answer!

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for clarification, I never doubted the result but was curious to find out how same model at different size performs differently. But your answer gave me more insight that it could be assembled at different vendors/factories which perfectly explains.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I can't recall in which months sony 40w3000 was reviewed, I've been regularly reading every month's WHFSV but don't remember if there was 40inch shootout took place.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Zubkabera"]
I can't recall in which months sony 40w3000 was reviewed, I've been regularly reading every month's WHFSV but don't remember if there was 40inch shootout took place.

[/quote]

Never mind, happens to us all as we get older

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Zubkabera"]

[/quote]

It was tested in a 40-42in Supertest in the November 2007 issue.

But fret not - it's being retested alongside new competition in a 37-40in Supertest in our April issue, out March 6th.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I can't buy the argument that different vendor/factories will result in substandard product. Sony and Sasmung are two power houses of Electronic world and top 2 TV manufacturere in the world. They spend millions of dollars on QMF (Quality Management Framework) and ensure each product is tested/tried before reaching customer.

I don't need to wait and see the April Issue for 37-40in supertest I already know Sony will be the winner of supertest as these days Sony is the king of LCD.I hope you will compare Plasma and LCD together like the one in 52in supertest in that case Pioneer will be the winner. Ok enough speculations !

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's not a case of substandard product - far from it: as you say, big companies of this kind rarely get it wrong.

All i'm saying is there can be enough difference - taking in other factors as well, such as increased competition at a particular screen size - to make one set a five-star test winner and the other a great but not class-leading set.

Oh, and by the way, Sony don't win the test
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare.

So even to watch regular cable TV (not digital) and regular DVD's you would go for the Plasmas?

A

Anonymous

Can anyone shed some light on what difference is between the Pioneer PDP 428 XD and PDP 4280 XD?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm looking to buy the 428 and believe the only differences are that the 428 has better sound, USB connection and can be calibrated by a pioneer consultant to suite your viewing environment. One further point, the 4280 comes with a table top stand unlike the 428 which you have to buy extra. Hope this helps
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="am231058"]
Hi,

I'm looking to buy the 428 and believe the only differences are that the 428 has better sound, USB connection and can be calibrated by a pioneer consultant to suite your viewing environment. One further point, the 4280 comes with a table top stand unlike the 428 which you have to buy extra. Hope this helps
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts