Raincloud . . . ?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So . . . I'm in to a new/old sound, had more time today to evaluate what has actually happened to my P5 . . . Things have totally changed as a 'voice' to the P5??? I've gone from the detailed, crisp, layered, analytical sound, what I would perhaps described as 'modern' . . . to a detailed, musically together layered and convincing live sound, I would describe it as similar to what I remember back in the 80's . . .

All the detail, insight and layers, present as a performance rather than striping the music into its component parts, very live, together in presentation. Currently listening to Carol Kidd's "All my Tomorrows" . . . well recorded female voice, simple accompaniment, lets one into the feelings and finesse of the recording. I listened to Queen, 'Another one Bites the Dust', 'Dont Stop me Now', notably powerful and dynamic with a distinctly live feel, inviting feel.

Certainly lost the sharp, leading edges at the top end with out loosing the detail there. I have a warm sound that is not thick and syrupy . . . it is warm and detailed, easy on the ear, the base leading edge is not quite as sharp, but drums have not lost their edge, retaining that organic 'rubbery' first 'head strike'. Been a long time since I have heard live music, seem to remember plucked base fiddle can sound a bit soft in attack?

Just put 'Jazz at Pawnshop' on . . . . . . wow, all the detail, more 'smokey atmosphere', the leading edge attack is faster? Again, the splitting apart of the performance layers has been replaced by this 'reality' feel, its less in the face, much more relaxed. No particular emphasis to any part over another, simply enjoying the music as it plays . . . :D

My vinyl copy of Queen is 'Queen Greatest Hits' album. I noticed I preferred tracks that were made by 'Raincloud Productions Ltd.', one wonders if anyone else has noticed this? Is there a simple explanation for this like better engineering, or, is it me simply preferring those particular songs?

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
My vinyl copy of Queen is 'Queen Greatest Hits' album. I noticed I preferred tracks that were made by 'Raincloud Productions Ltd.', one wonders if anyone else has noticed this? Is there a simple explanation for this like better engineering, or, is it me simply preferring those particular songs? CJSF

You preferring those particular songs I think.

Queen (as a band and as individuals) have had a lot of limited companies over the years...

Queen Films Ltd (previously QM Productions Ltd)
Queen Music Ltd
Queen Online Ltd (previously Queen Multimedia Ltd)
Mountain Studios Ltd (previously Rainbeat Productions Ltd)
Queen Productions Ltd
Queen Theatrical Productions Ltd
Raincloud Productions Ltd
Rushing Waters Productions Ltd

The individual members have their own companies too.

So on a 'Greatest Hits' album you will get lots of tracks from different periods in their career and with different production company names. I doubt it makes any difference to the engineering of individual tracks.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Another day on and I've slept on the new 1980's voice of my P5 . . . ?? It is wonderfully musical but very dark . . . with my background in the tuning of mass damping for speaker stands . . . its a natural move (for me) to consider what is happening to the P5's sub-platter.

Having listened to LP's all Sunday evening, one thought, 'I wonder if its possible to get a compromise crossover point'? I like the detailed and analytical sound but it is not as satisfying as the more musical, darker, involving 80's voice I have at the moment? Impossible to 'have ones cake and eat it' . . . ? perhaps not, I was told I would not get anywhere with mass loading speaker stands . . . !

The Rega Sub-platter is a light plastic moulding, braced equally with radiated webs, orange section style. The SMR/Tech dampers are simplicity personified. 12 cut triangles that press firmly into the voids created by the bracing webs, a tight fitting contact is achieved. Good damping is the result, reducing any spurious noise from the motor belt/bearing.

However, I am reminded of the effect I achieved with total damping of stands back in the 70's . . . then it took me 4 years to work out what to do . . . Yesterday it was more like 10 minutes. Over damping either has an affect of draining the lower frequencies, creating a very lean sound, or, I have heard it emphasize the low end, which is a more desirable state. The goal, to achieve middle ground, lighter, more air without loosing those smooth, rich low frequencies.

Ten minutes and I had modified the damping . . . re seated the sub/platter, the bearing is such a good fit it has to be given time to expel the air and settle. Cracked it, got the balance spot on first time, lighter, air in the performance, but the base end was still intact . . . with maybe, a tadmor leading edge than before? The overall sound has lightened slightly but still on the side of warm and involving.

Any Rega turntable owner should investigate the SMR/Tech, Sub-platter damping kit. Its the most affective fifteen pounds worth you will spend, IMHO. So simple to install, I removed every 3rd section. It may need every other section or even removing just two opposing sections, depending on personal choice, system and which platter you are using . . . but for sure, its a 'very bigggg bang' for your buck! Even the most 'mod-phobic' individual will not believe what can be achived for £15 and a few minutes doing nothing more than a fundamental upgrade . . . Word of warning, dont forget the ball bearing sometimes can stick to the bottom of the bearing shaft, dont loose it! And while you are at it, get a 'White, Rega Motor Drive Belt' upgrade, £21, the next best money you will spend on your Rega TT.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS