Quick question on recommend amp power

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I am not buying, but often look at gadgets online. Today I read a comparison between the MA bronze 5 and MA bronze 6. The 5s recommend an amp 30 watts or more, the 6s recommend an amp 40 watts or more.

Both are 8 ohms and 90db, why does one in theory require a more powerful amp. Thanks

insider9

Since no one else answered... I believe it's to do with the size of drivers in that case. Bronze 5 have 5.5" drivers whereas Bronze 6 come with 6.5" ones. Bigger drivers will have bigger magnets requiring more power to drive them in theory. Especially if you want to exert some control more power wouldn't go a miss.

I would say though that I had MA BX5 running on the end of little Onkyo that was 22W per channel into 4 ohms which is less than MA recommend. They sounded absolutely fine and could go much louder than you'd ever want them to.

It makes no sense to require a different minimum, and even 30watts is excessive if they are 90dB efficiency.

Probably trying to imply bigger is better. The marketing people want better numbers, like lower bass, higher treble, etc. I very much doubt the designer or engineers would agree with what is oublished.

If one can infer they recommend a better amp for the bigger speakers then that's arguably fair enough. I'd suggest all to be taken with a large pinch of salt.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Since no one else answered... I believe it's to do with the size of drivers in that case. Bronze 5 have 5.5" drivers whereas Bronze 6 come with 6.5" ones. Bigger drivers will have bigger magnets requiring more power to drive them in theory. Especially if you want to exert some control more power wouldn't go a miss.

I would say though that I had MA BX5 running on the end of little Onkyo that was 22W per channel into 4 ohms which is less than MA recommend. They sounded absolutely fine and could go much louder than you'd ever want them to.

Thanks insider9

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts