Quick Hi-Fi quiz question...

adamwillan

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I have got a quick quiz question with the most picked letter being purchased.

With a laptop (that has a spdif out) as the music source, which of the following options will produce the best quality music (Mainly House music on either Tannoy V4/Wharfedale speakers).

a) Cambridge audio 651 containing a built in usb dac (£450)
b) Yamaha S5000 and a cambridge auido DACmac100 (£400)
c) Marantz 7003 and not using a dac (£469)

Thanks in advance

Adam

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
As far as "best quality" is concerned, only you can decide that.

Personally, I'd recommend looking at the Cambridge Audio 651A because a) The on-board DAC means you won't be utilising the soundcard in your laptop, and b) It's an all-in-one solution meaning less boxes and requiring a single mains outlet.

You can also purchase Richersounds' 5 Year Supercare for £44.95 giving you future peace of mind.

http://www.richersounds.com/action.php?cdx=loadstatic&page=supercare

adamwillan

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response, was recommended either of these wharfedale speakers - http://www.hughesdirect.co.uk/hi-fi/hifi-speaker/wha-xarus5000-black/product or the diamond 10.4. I had not heard of the first but think they are cheap because they are an old model.

Buying audio equipment is so time consuming, soon as you get the bug for wanting to know more it gets more confusing as you realise how little you know. Not sure how trained my ears are that I will be able to notice the difference from my current yamaha v361 system but am going to book a listen in richer sounds next week and see if there is a noticeable difference that is worth the £700 with speakers I will be spending.

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
As far as the Wharfedale XARUS5000 speakers go, would you be buying them without first hearing them? I think you'll either love or hate them. If you are in (or are prepared to visit) the east of England, I suggest you make an appointment at one of Hughes shops for a demo.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Are those really your only 3 choices, just I would go another way entirely. Well, not entirely - I would still recommend an amp and DAC!

adamwillan

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
With my limited knowledge of brands and the endless amount of choice I thought it best to at least try and narrow the choice. Most of the picks have come from what-hifi awards / what richer sound has got in stock, but if you know of any other systems that would be good with a £700 ish budget please suggest. I was also going to have a listen to the monitor rx2's while in richer sounds but thought bookshelves wouldn't provide as much bass (only me guessing though).

I had tried to keep my original post simple but my other major concern is that I am not sure how my dj mixer (novation twitch) will connect to any system. The mixer has it's own soundcard and the only output being a twin balanced 6mm jack. Currently as my amp does not have a way to accept jacks as an input, I use a twin 6mm jack to twin rca cable. With my limited knowledge is it correct that I will not be able to avoid using the mixer as the dac as their will be no way around me avoiding the mixer doing the converting to analogue? Being that it is a decent mid range mixer maybe this is not a worry and the soundcard will be better than a laptops?? I am not sure if I am even making sense...

Thanks

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
adamwillan said:
but if you know of any other systems that would be good with a £700 ish budget please suggest.
Have a look at the Mackie HR624mk2, just within your budget at £698. Simply connect them to the balanced outputs on the Novation Twitch using either Jack-Jack or Jack-XLR cables.

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/mackie-hr624mk2-active-studio-monitors-pair--68129

For speaker stands, the XTZ Floorstand 99 in Gloss Black would make a perfect aesthetic match: http://www.xtzsound.eu/en/products/stands/floorstand-99-high-gossy

adamwillan

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. The second option that you mentioned is the only method of using it as there is no input in to the mixer other than USB (unless you use the aux in). The mixer is designed to work with serato and the sound output has to come from the mixer rather than the laptop. As you said I think this should be fine though as the soundcard from the mixer must surely be good quality considering it is supposed to be a semi-pro mixer.

The monitor type speakers are not going to be an option for me I dont think as I wouldnt be able to use my laptop, and projector with them plus the speakers are going to be a long distance away from the devices and I have already got good speaker cable fitted round the room.

I appreciate the input from everyone!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts