Questions: To Rega Elicit-R Owners - Re: Subwoofer Integration

jack18

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Questions: To Rega Elicit-R Owners - Re: Subwoofer Integration

Question 1: Adding a subwoofer.

i.e. Moving from a 2.0 system to a 2.1 system.

a) Can I connect a subwoofer to the preout on the Elicit-R?

b) If "yes" to Question 1a: Can I control the volume of the subwoofer with the volume control on the Elicit-R integrated amp?

Question 2: Using the Elicit-R in conjunction with a home theatre 5.1 setup.

i.e. Using the Elicit-R home theatre bypass, so that the front left and front right speakers are still powered by the Elicit-R. I would connect the AVR preout to the Elicit-R HT bypass input.

a) By connecting front speakers in this manner, can I control overall volume (fronts, rears, centre, sub) with the master volume control of the AVR?

b) I assume that for this setup, one would naturally connect the powered subwoofer directly to the AVR. However, CAN I connect the subwoofer to the preout of the Elicit-R instead? (As described in Question 1a above.)

c) If "yes" to Question 2b): Can I control the volume of the subwoofer with the master volume control on the AVR?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable group. For the sake of my own understanding, please specifically reference the question number to which you are responding. This will help me keep concepts clear, and hopefully allow me to make the best informed decisions as I continue my audio (and visual) journey!

jack

jack18

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thank you very much for your reply.

I recognize that the Elicit-R does NOT have a subout.

In effort to keep the dicussion on topic, can you speak any further to Question 1a & 1b?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
jack18 said:
Hi, thank you very much for your reply.

I recognize that the Elicit-R does NOT have a subout.

In effort to keep the dicussion on topic, can you speak any further to Question 1a & 1b?

i've already answer 1a !

1b no the volume will be adjusted in the sub! Only!

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I use the Elicit-R to power my left and right fronts for my projector screen, this is done by connecintg the AV amp's L&R preouts to Input 2 of the Elicit-R, the centre speaker, satellites and sub are all still powered by the AV Amp. The AV Amp has it's own L&R fronts but I turn these off via the remote when I want to use the Elicit-R. I set the volume of the Elicit to half way, I calibrated the AV Amp with this setting and I have two ways of altering the volume, either the AV Amp or the Elicit-R, but in order to maintain the sound as it was at calibration time I only use the AV volume control thus maintaing the balance with all speakers.

The Elicit-R is not designed to drive a sub, so keep it connected to the AV amp.

Hope this helps.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Mmm I am not sure I agree with some of the replies you have had so far, the rega has a preout ie a volume controlled output, so you can add a subwoofer BUT it will not be a filtered output so your sub will need some high frequency filtering. Therefore in answer to qn 1 both responses should be yes.

As for QN 2 well, part a is a yes the rega's HT bypass input is designed to fulfill this function, but this feature bypasses the preamp so connecting the sub to the rega in this mode will have no effect. So I think parts b and c will be a no. If you still want the sub to be used with both systems then use a switch box that is usually used to use 1 amp with 2 speakers but you will use it use one speaker with two amps. It is not the easiest solution but it can be made to work.

Was thinking of getting an Ellict or a Naim XS, by any chance did you audition both and then decide on the rega, if so why and how do you find it??

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
Mmm I am not sure I agree with some of the replies you have had so far, the rega has a preout ie a volume controlled output, so you can add a subwoofer BUT it will not be a filtered output so your sub will need some high frequency filtering. Therefore in answer to qn 1 both responses should be yes.

As for QN 2 well, part a is a yes the rega's HT bypass input is designed to fulfill this function, but this feature bypasses the preamp so connecting the sub to the rega in this mode will have no effect. So I think parts b and c will be a no. If you still want the sub to be used with both systems then use a switch box that is usually used to use 1 amp with 2 speakers but you will use it use one speaker with two amps. It is not the easiest solution but it can be made to work.

Was thinking of getting an Ellict or a Naim XS, by any chance did you audition both and then decide on the rega, if so why and how do you find it??

but for the OP first point, to connect a sub for a 2.1 system using only hi-fi (no AV) he will need a sub with HFL with the Elicit R!

jack18

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
tomlinscote said:

Thank you for the infomred response.

With respect to Question 1b - Can I clarify what you mean by "high frequency filtering", and how this might be accomplished?

I auditioned some time ago, but I am now at a point where I am going to re-audition and buy. Based on comments provided by the group I am going to get the Elicit-R.

PS: To stevebrock - I read through the drama you experienced with your Elicit-R back in January. Happy to hear things were resolved. All still well with the unit?

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
A sub woofer is there to provide very low frequency support for the rest of the system, let's say your speakers can reproduce sounds down to 100Hz but he music contains frequencies down to 20Hz the sub will provide these but it is not designed to reproduce high frequency sounds so these should be filtered out of the signal fed to the sub. Alternatively the sub may have its own filtering, my Quad does, so maybe your one does too?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
jack18 said:
tomlinscote said:

With respect to Question 1b - Can I clarify what you mean by "high frequency filtering", and how this might be accomplished?

If want to keep ignoring my posts/recommendation, go ahead ;) , at least have the courtesy by reading literature provided on the subject!

:cheers:

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Apologies, I was not aware the OP had a BK sub, but even if he does, it clearly says on page 4 of the manual provided by the link if a sub output is not available you can use a spare set of preamp outputs and then shows a picture of said setup. Also this sub appears to have both a frequency control and a gain control so I stand by my original post. But he can use the high level input too and then profit from two individual setups :)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
tomlinscote said:
Apologies, I was not aware the OP had a BK sub, but even if he does, it clearly says on page 4 of the manual provided by the link if a sub output is not available you can use a spare set of preamp outputs and then shows a picture of said setup. Also this sub appears to have both a frequency control and a gain control so I stand by my original post. But he can use the high level input too and then profit from two individual setups :)

he doesn't have a BK sub, that was just me posting the manuals owner to help out, and trying to explain that having a sub with a HFL was the only way to connect a sub to a amp that DOESN'T have a sub output!

My last post is ment to the OP, not for you... Sorry for the miss understood. ;)

:cheers:

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
No worries :) life is too short!!

But I connect my sub to my amp using just pre out and it works fine, I just use the filter in the sub to limit it to 75Hz, so I thought the OP could too. My amp is an MF but I would not have thought the rega was that different. I am prepared to stand corrected though :) and now it is time to get another beer and watch the match.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
In many amplifiers there is no difference between pre-ours and sub outs, except for mono outs which are, well, mono. The exception appears to be some A/V amplifiers but that is not my area.

Most subs, proper, stand alone ones not 'system' units, will have a high pass filter to match the sub to the bass of the main speakers. There are other ways to do it, but what I describe is the most common.

Just connect the sub to the preouts and set the controls, as easy, and as difficult, as any sub setup, nothing unusual at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts