questions on a nas( synology ds212j)

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am looking buying one at the end of the month as i will have £160 spare but i may have to wait a couple of months to get my first 3tb disk. I really want to get this one as i like the look of the os and the features and to get it asap. My question is i have a 1tb wd external harddrive. Will it be possible to set up the software on my main laptop and enable my ps3 xbox360 and my 2 laptops to see the nas. And then i was hoping to start to add the external harddrive and set up squeezebox server and stream my 127gb music and photos around the house off the wd external harddrive. and then when i add the sata disk in a couple of months start build my media streaming up.

any help would be great many thanks simon

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
nads said:
Where are you going to attach the external HDD? And why if you have a NAS?

You can attach USB disks to the Synology through the USB port, then share the contents of the USB disk through the NAS file sharing software included with it. This would therefore allow the OP to buy the Synology DS212J "shell" i.e. the diskless version, share his existing USB disk through it and get all the benefits of the NAS. Once he's saved a bit longer, he can then buy some SATA disks to put into the NAS and use it as a proper NAS with full on RAID etc.

To the OP - (assuming I'm correct in the above) in theory, I think this will work from what I've read, but I have no practical experience to say it would for definite. There's a forum on the Synology website so might be worth posting a query there.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
that was my plan but it looks like you need to install the os on a sata disk so it looks like ill need to wait till i get £160 for the nas and £95 for a samsung 2tb disk. thanks for the input

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts