Hi, I've just started playing records after stumbling upon a bundle of LPs and buying a Pro-ject Elemental turntable. I've got a few questions about vinyl care that I couldn't find answers to elsewhere, so help a newbie out :D.

1) Does it damage the stylus/LP if you accidentally play the centre of the record (the smooth part)?

2) Will you damage a record if you store it with a bit of dust or static on it (even if you use this record often)?

3) Are there any DIY or low cost ways to de-static your records?

4) Should I clean both sides of a record before storing even if only one side is played?

and finally

5) Does keeping the rubber loop (the one used as a pulley thing) on the turntable damage the motor/ plinth/ the rubber itself?

Thanks!

Hope this hepls and in order:-

1) No

2)No - it is best to keep it as clean as possible obviously, I find a quick wipe with an antistatic cloth before placing into some anti-static LP slleves always helps.

3) Yes - the best I have found is a carbon-fibre brush.

4) No - it is better to keep the drive belt in place as you are more likely to damage / stretch it if you are constantly removing it.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
1) I think if you drop the arm manually the stylus can mark the lp, if it is audible or not will depend.2) I think it wont, but a a clean record in a clean sleeve makes all the difference.3) yes! Distilled water 80%, isopropilic alcool 15% and 5% Ilford Ilfotol weting agent.4) no! If the record is stored cleaned at the first place no need to clean it after played. 5) no.

My answer number four relates to the OP's question five.

My answer to question 4) would have been same as Hi-FiOutlaw's.

By the OP's question one I don't think he meant drop the arm on it rather let it play on so that it goes onto the 'deadspace'. There is no harm at all in letting it do this.

HiFiOutlaws reply to question 3) will indeed remove static (this is a basic 'wet' clean recipe) you will however need something to work this solution into the records surface without damaging it (something like the Knosti Antistat).

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
By the OP's question one I don't think he meant drop the arm on it rather let it play on so that it goes onto the 'deadspace'. There is no harm at all in letting it do this.

I think you are right Al ears! In that case there is no harm to the record or the stylus.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
There are many ways to clean a record surface, i use something like this to apply my home made product.

d43e15e44cc8ca561d6b7d59793f3745_zps77b291eb.jpg

You can feel the brush getting in the grooves, i spin the record fw and backwards, after i use a paper towel, those soft ones from the kitchen to dry the excess of liquid and i let the record dry by it self 5/10 min and then strait into a new clean sleeve.

The static desappear completely, and 80/90% of all the clicks and pops go away! Some of the used/old records play better that new ones after I clean them.

And i clean the new ones as well.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
There are many ways to clean a record surface, i use something like this to apply my home made product.

You can feel the brush getting in the grooves, i spin the record fw and backwards, after i use a paper towel, those soft ones from the kitchen to dry the excess of liquid and i let the record dry by it self 5/10 min and then strait into a new clean sleeve.

The static desappear completely, and 80/90% of all the clicks and pops go away! Some of the used/old records play better that new ones after I clean them.

And i clean the new ones as well.

Good idea. I assume from the photo that item is a felt cleaning pad. That's a lot cheaper way of doing it than a Knosti!

I've still got one somewher but tend to use a carbon fibre brush before playing these days.

Some good advice above. I personally take the "less is more" approach to cleaning, because it is easy to become obsessed with every little speck of dust, most of which the stylus will push away in any case.

Static too is not an issue unless your room is so dry that it plagues you (for example with static clicks discharging through the cartridge during play). If so, some well-watered pot plants and a glass of water near the turntable can help lot.

Relax!

nopiano said:
Some good advice above. I personally take the "less is more" approach to cleaning, because it is easy to become obsessed with every little speck of dust, most of which the stylus will push away in any case.

Static too is not an issue unless your room is so dry that it plagues you (for example with static clicks discharging through the cartridge during play). If so, some well-watered pot plants and a glass of water near the turntable can help lot.

Relax!

Good idea about the well-watered potted plant....... I find a large glass of Merlot alongside also helps to eliminate static and all kinds of tension. :)

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
I find a large glass of Merlot alongside also helps to eliminate static and all kinds of tension. :)
And a couple more glasses will mean that you won't notice the static pops any more, or at least won't care.

My answers to the original questions would be:

1. No, if you mean allowing the stylus to track into the locked groove in the centre of the record. I thought you meant putting the stylus on the label, which still probably won't damage the stylus but it's a better idea not to do it...
2. No, but again it's better to get the dust off before storing it as then you won't get dust on the inside of the sleeve you're storing it in, which means you won't have to get dust off the record each time you get it out of the sleeve...
3. Yes. Basic way to get rid of dust (and some static) is the carbon fibre or 'velvet' brushes mentioned above, which cost about £8–£10 for a decent one. If you've got a lot of records, and you want to get rid of more stubborn dirt, or want more spectacular results, and don't mind a bit of work, you could look into getting a Knosti Disco Anti-Stat record cleaner, which costs about £40. See this thread for more information about that.
4. I wouldn't say you should, but again if you do you'll get rid of any dust from the LP before putting it back in its sleeve.
5. No. Leave it on there unless you need to replace it. Don't worry that it's taut - it needs to be for speed stability.

On dust, it might also be worth cleaning the mat that's on the platter (that you place the records on). If it's rubber/silicone, you could wash it with some warm slightly soapy water; if it's felt, you could take it outside and give it a little beating to knock the dust out. There's not a huge amount of point obsessively cleaning dust off the records if it's just getting transferred straight back onto them from the mat!

And lastly, don't worry too much about it. Just enjoy the music, and if you're finding that the surface noise on a record is bothering you, it's then worth looking at cleaning it a bit more deeply. The only thing I can think would actually damage the surface of the record, or possibly even the stylus, is grit - not tiny specks of dust. So don't worry too much. I've got some records I've been playing fairly regularly for close to 30 years which are still in good nick and sound great, and I only invested in anything more than a cleaning brush two years ago.

Enjoy your new-found records! What have you got? You could list the ones you're listening to in this thread if you like.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

3) yes! Distilled water 80%, isopropilic alcool 15% and 5% Ilford Ilfotol weting agent.

That's waaay too much of Ilfotol IMO.

I use 1/3 IPA 2/3 distilled water and just a drop or two of Ilfotol.

You can go as high as 50-50 mix if you use ethanol and d. water.

nima said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

3) yes! Distilled water 80%, isopropilic alcool 15% and 5% Ilford Ilfotol weting agent.

That's waaay too much of Ilfotol IMO.

I use 1/3 IPA 2/3 distilled water and just a drop or two of Ilfotol.

You can go as high as 50-50 mix if you use ethanol and d. water.

I agree.... guess he wants them to dry very quickly
regular_smile.gif

And that's Isopropyl Alcohol by the way. (if you cannot find Ilfotol from a photographers suppliers then use 2-3drops of dishwasher rinse-aid, although it's not quite the same).

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
As per Ilfotol manual:

Mixing instructions and use
As a final rinse for film we recommend starting
with a solution of 5ml of ILFOTOL for each litre of
rinse water (1+200).

We recommend that ILFOTOL is measured and
dispensed accurately as either too little or too
much wetting agent can lead to uneven drying.
Use a graduated pipette or eyedropper if very
small quantities are needed.
NB the ILFORD 1 litre bottle cap will hold
approximately 20ml of ILFOTOL brim full, at
1+200 this is enough wetting agent for 4 litres
of water.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/2011427101531770.pdf

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I do it by eye, some times is 2% and some others is 4/5% its not rocket Science...*scratch_one-s_head*

But the purpose to use Ilford in my mix is to get rid of the static, I buy alot of over seas records and they all arrive full with statics, as i take them out of the sleeve they rise my arm hair, and the new ones are the worst of them.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
But the purpose to use Ilford in my mix is to get rid of the static, I buy alot of over seas records and they all arrive full with statics, as i take them out of the sleeve they rise my arm hair, and the new ones are the worst of them.

Ummm..........static!

article-0-0D19531100000578-563_306x423.jpg

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Ummm..........static!

That happens with 180gr... Massive!*biggrin*

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Ummm..........static!

That happens with 180gr... Massive!*biggrin*

I'm not to sure that vinyl can store static eletricity for any period of time, most of it is generated by the action of removing it from its sleeve (hence to manufacture of anti-static sleeves - which most record companies still refuse to use as standard which itself is a crying shame considering the cost of a sleeve and the overinflated cost of new vinyl..... winge over!)

The amount of static created is going to be dependent on the atmospherics of your listening room If you happen to live in a hot / dry country then you can expect it to be more of a pain.

For what its worth Ilfotol will not reduce static, it is a wetting agent, and its purpose is to assist in the during of an LP after a wet clean (which itself is for removing crud and not necessarily static.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Ilford is a Antistatic agent as well, in the product label you can read:

"Ilford can be used to clean glass and plastic lenses and filters and as an anti-static treatment."

So far i've bought 180/200 records from UK, and they always arrive to me full of static, maybe due the transport, and can be felt by the stylus.

So far I use this home made mix for 3 years and with great results. The Ilford was the most expensive about 20€, but will last forever, as it is one litre and i only use a small amount, the isopropilic is 3€ one litre and the distiled water is 0,50€ 2 litre.

The first records i've clean with this mix don't have any trace of static so far, so it is highly effective.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I think wet cleaning removes static charge regardless of Ilfotol. Ilfotol just keeps the fluid together and thus helps that it gets deeper into the grooves. And also easies the drying process.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
nima said:
I think wet cleaning removes static charge regardless of Ilfotol. Ilfotol just keeps the fluid together and thus helps that it gets deeper into the grooves. And also easies the drying process.

Ok, lets just forget what the label of the product say then...

This is what Ilford Ilfotol weting agent do:

"ILFORD ILFOTOL[/b] is a non-ionic wetting agent used as a final rinse before drying films. It can be used in all manual and machine processes to aid rapid even drying and so greatly reduce the risk of drying marks being formed. ILFOTOL[/b] can also be used as a final rinse before drying fibre based prints, again it promotes rapid, even drying. Additionally it can be used to clean glass and plastic lenses and filters and as an antistatic treatment."

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't talking about the label, I was talking about my experiences that Ilfotol, IME, doesn't affect static charge.

Any wet cleaning does. Ilfotol makes cleaning better and easier. IME.

And I use it - as per manufacturer's insturctions (1+200).

No need for any conflict.

If all people needed would be labels - there would be no use for forums.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The solution I use for wet cleaning (which doesn't contain Ilfotol) does a pretty amazing job of static removal - and of the prevention of static returning during use or storage. I agree that it is the wet cleaning process (along with using brushes made from a material that tends to neutralise static) which does the job. No special substance is needed, even though Ilfotol may advertise (and may have) anti-static properties.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The paracetamol label say:

"Paracetamol is classified as a mild analgesic. It is commonly used for the relief of headaches and other minor aches and pains and is a major ingredient in numerous cold and flu remedies."

but in my personal experience i say it doesn't, who is in the rong lane...?

I might have to report to EMA and FDA that paracetamol is a snaick oil....!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts