Question to daveh75 please ?

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dave,

I recently paid (£49) and specifically asked for the new 2tb box from Sky.

The model I got is a dx895 - can you tell me if this is the latest up to date box please ?

I have also noted that their is a noticeable hum / buzz coming from the box (even in stanby mode) - it is not really noisy but I can hear it and it is slightly distracting. Is this normal ?

I have two older hd boxes - one Pace / one Amstrad - never had any buzzes or hums come from them.

Interestingly, the engineers that did my upgrade (to multi-room) have really cocked up the installation too. My dish is on our chimney and I had a quad lnb on it, have Sky in main room and freesat in the bedroom. Spoke to engineer in length on the morning of install with clear instructions on what I wanted as I could not be in to over see install (mother-in-law sat in for me). Explained that I wanted new box in main room and multi-room using old hd box put into kitchen - also explained that I only had a quad lnb on dish and didnt want to loose freesat in bedroom so requested for dish to have an Octo lnb installed.

When they arrived they swapped over the boxes ok and put in new cabling to the kitchen. The guy actually phoned me to say that the old dish was not suitable and that he had changed it. I got home and everything works perfectly from a multi-room perspective. However, on closer inspection I realised that they had actually not changed the lnb on the dish on my chimney and had in fact changed a neighbours dish (that admitedly runs down the boundary of the rear facing wall of our terraced house). It appears that they have put a quad lnb on this which has two feeds - one going to my kitchen and the other presumably going into the neighbours house ! They have not even bothered to go up to my dish on my roof/chimney. I am guessing this is just out of pure lazyness. I know the neighbours well and explained all this to them saying that they probably have free Sky HD if they want it through the other feed (they are Virgin subscribers anyway).

Surely any intelligent engineer would have realised that this is not my dish ? Is it down to me to tell them my exact location of my dish ? At the moment it is all fine as I have told the neighbours and they are not fussed about it all. I think they were just interested in getting the job done quickly as they had two cancellations that day and phoned me to re-arrange the installation early (plus it was a nice hot day that day).

Your thoughts please.

Cheers

Surely it's their duty to identify the right dish. Call them now without further delay, & let them know of your displeasure. They should come back as a priority and sort the mess out for you. Never heard of anything like this before.

D

Deleted member 2457

Has it got 2TB on the front? Should look like this:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3421676/2tb-skyhd-box-review/

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
Surely it's their duty to identify the right dish. Call them now without further delay, & let them know of your displeasure. They should come back as a priority and sort the mess out for you. Never heard of anything like this before.

Hi BB,

I am a pretty laid back kinda guy and although the install is pretty much screwed up, I am not as bothered as I should be. I like our neighbours and if they want they can have free Sky HD (if they buy a box) ! I am more concerned about the noise coming from the thing, my other boxes have been fairly quiet but this one def omits a buzz when the volumes low hence the question to dave or anyone else. If I have any issues with the neighbours in later life (for instance they move), I can always call Sky to say something doesn't look right.

Cowboy installers though.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
Has it got 2TB on the front? Should look like this:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3421676/2tb-skyhd-box-review/

Hi Gel,

Thanks for the link but I do know a 2tb (1.5tb) box from an old hd box (got two of them still). Yes it is - it's the 895 box. I was just wondering if this was the most up to date box as I requested and paid for the latest model when I did the multi-room deal. The reason I pointed the question to dave is that I read one of his threads earlier suggesting their is a 1.5tb and a 2tb version of the slimmer hd box. Maybe, I am just getting cross wired but thought I would ask anyway. I do understand it's 1.5 for personal recordings and 500gb for partition and on demand but dave kinda posted something about a newer box. But again I may well have just read this wrong.

daveh75 where are you ?

Cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
psurquhart said:
I like our neighbours and if they want they can have free Sky HD (if they buy a box)!

They aren't getting free Sky HD, they'd need a valid viewing card to do that. They can get the Freesat channels same as anyone else with a dish though (which they already had).

D

Deleted member 2457

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-SkyHD-Sky-3D/noisy-2tb-box/td-p/665512

Sounds like you got a noisy one.

daveh75

psurquhart said:
Hi Dave,

I recently paid (£49) and specifically asked for the new 2tb box from Sky.

The model I got is a dx895 - can you tell me if this is the latest up to date box please ?

I have also noted that their is a noticeable hum / buzz coming from the box (even in stanby mode) - it is not really noisy but I can hear it and it is slightly distracting. Is this normal ?

I have two older hd boxes - one Pace / one Amstrad - never had any buzzes or hums come from them.

Interestingly, the engineers that did my upgrade (to multi-room) have really cocked up the installation too. My dish is on our chimney and I had a quad lnb on it, have Sky in main room and freesat in the bedroom. Spoke to engineer in length on the morning of install with clear instructions on what I wanted as I could not be in to over see install (mother-in-law sat in for me). Explained that I wanted new box in main room and multi-room using old hd box put into kitchen - also explained that I only had a quad lnb on dish and didnt want to loose freesat in bedroom so requested for dish to have an Octo lnb installed.

When they arrived they swapped over the boxes ok and put in new cabling to the kitchen. The guy actually phoned me to say that the old dish was not suitable and that he had changed it. I got home and everything works perfectly from a multi-room perspective. However, on closer inspection I realised that they had actually not changed the lnb on the dish on my chimney and had in fact changed a neighbours dish (that admitedly runs down the boundary of the rear facing wall of our terraced house). It appears that they have put a quad lnb on this which has two feeds - one going to my kitchen and the other presumably going into the neighbours house ! They have not even bothered to go up to my dish on my roof/chimney. I am guessing this is just out of pure lazyness. I know the neighbours well and explained all this to them saying that they probably have free Sky HD if they want it through the other feed (they are Virgin subscribers anyway).

Surely any intelligent engineer would have realised that this is not my dish ? Is it down to me to tell them my exact location of my dish ? At the moment it is all fine as I have told the neighbours and they are not fussed about it all. I think they were just interested in getting the job done quickly as they had two cancellations that day and phoned me to re-arrange the installation early (plus it was a nice hot day that day).

Your thoughts please.

Cheers

The DRX895 is the 2TB model.

It's not uncommon for them to be noisy, but if it's to the point of being distracting ask them to replace it.

Can only assume they fitted a quad to your neighbours dish as it was easier or they just didn't want to supply an octo LNB.

But most importantly, they have left you with an installation that now doesn't meet electrical regs and is potentially dangerous.

As you're likely to be on different phases (electricity supplies) and your now effectively connected by the coaxial screening, if a fault was to occur in one property there is now potential for 440V to be present on the equipment in the other.

This is why shared dish/communal/IRS systems must be earth bonded.

Presumably as the neighbours are on VM they don't have any satellite equipment connected at present, but that may not always be the case so it needs addressing ASAP

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts