Question to all Hegel and Abrahamsen owners.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
I'm sorry but you'll have to languish in your inferior world.  I've read a review or two (including this sites) that suggests the ATC SCM40 lack sparkle at lower volumes.

Not from me you won't. They don't need to be loud to sound great, it's just they remain sounding great when cranked up. If you're referring to the what hi fi review, that's of the mark 1 version. We're at mkll now.

Back to the OP, why not audition a pair of SCM19s? I think the leema would be a good match.

?

It was the MKII actives and I also read much the same view in another review about the new passives.

http://www.whathifi.com/atc/scm40a/review

I think you might be overly fretting over it. They might not be the loudest bottom end, but it's beautifully presented, and extremely tuneful. I found them to perform better than the PMC twenty. 26 in that respect. I prefer a tight hard slam over a thumping drone. An exaggeration I know, but maybe helps you describe their sonic characteristics.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
I'm sorry but you'll have to languish in your inferior world. I've read a review or two (including this sites) that suggests the ATC SCM40 lack sparkle at lower volumes.

Not from me you won't. They don't need to be loud to sound great, it's just they remain sounding great when cranked up. If you're referring to the what hi fi review, that's of the mark 1 version. We're at mkll now.

Back to the OP, why not audition a pair of SCM19s? I think the leema would be a good match.

It was the MKII actives and I also read much the same view in another review about the new passives.

I think you might be overly fretting over it. They might not be the loudest bottom end, but it's beautifully presented, and extremely tuneful. I found them to perform better than the PMC twenty. 26 in that respect. I prefer a tight hard slam over a thumping drone. An exaggeration I know, but maybe helps you describe their sonic characteristics.

Not fretting so much as asking questions! I'll find out soon enough as I've got a two week home demo/money back offer.

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
I'm sorry but you'll have to languish in your inferior world.  I've read a review or two (including this sites) that suggests the ATC SCM40 lack sparkle at lower volumes.

?

Not fretting so much as asking questions!  I'll find out soon enough as I've got a two week home demo/money back offer.
Excellent, in which case the forum has done it's job (helped you get to audition something).

I'll only ever consider a home demo for speakers, as they are so room dependant. Listening in a shop annexe tells you very little.

What else are you going to try?

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
I'm sorry but you'll have to languish in your inferior world. I've read a review or two (including this sites) that suggests the ATC SCM40 lack sparkle at lower volumes.

Not fretting so much as asking questions! I'll find out soon enough as I've got a two week home demo/money back offer.
Excellent, in which case the forum has done it's job (helped you get to audition something).

I'll only ever consider a home demo for speakers, as they are so room dependant. Listening in a shop annexe tells you very little.

What else are you going to try?

I tried Dynaudio, their new active's and wasn't too enamoured. It seems ported speakers have an issue at certain frequencies in this room which is why the B&W's went in the first place. They didn't work far from the rear wall and didn't work close to it.

The LS50 needed 65cm from the rear wall (to the rear of the speaker) and they are very good up to a certain volume point.

So I'll try the ATC but if I don't like them I've no idea where to go next.

TRENDING THREADS