Question to all Hegel and Abrahamsen owners.

Given Mrs. P wants something more discreet or a speaker that can be pushed further against the wall, would you recommend any ATC speakers with the Leema Pulse?

Bear in mind I only play at low to medium volumes, your advice would be appreciated.

(If anyone mentions bloody Hegel or Abramhamsen amps as a replacement for my Leema, your PC, Mac or Smart phone will explode in 20 secs).

This particular worm is not for turning i.e. the Pulse is a keeper.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Given Mrs. P wants something more discreet or a speaker that can be pushed further against the wall, would you recommend any ATC speakers with the Leema Pulse?

Bear in mind I only play at low to medium volumes, your advice would be appreciated.

(If anyone mentions bloody Hegel or Abramhamsen amps as a replacement for my Leema, your PC, Mac or Smart phone will explode in 20 secs).

This particular worm is not for turning i.e. the Pulse is a keeper.

No sorry. There is now way you can achieve that without either a Schmegel or Abrahamsen.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but you'll have to languish in your inferior world. I've read a review or two (including this sites) that suggests the ATC SCM40 lack sparkle at lower volumes.

SteveR750

Jota180 said:
I'm sorry but you'll have to languish in your inferior world.  I've read a review or two (including this sites) that suggests the ATC SCM40 lack sparkle at lower volumes.

Not from me you won't. They don't need to be loud to sound great, it's just they remain sounding great when cranked up. If you're referring to the what hi fi review, that's of the mark 1 version. We're at mkll now.

Back to the OP, why not audition a pair of SCM19s? I think the leema would be a good match.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Understand the question
You ask hegel and abrahamsen amp men about atc?

If that is the question then yes go for atc they are the best

SteveR750

Plus I think there's probably only 6 of us on the entire forum that owns one or the other amps. I'll bet more members own an onkyo receiver, unless the inference is that Welshpool is in Norway?

SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:
I'm sorry but you'll have to languish in your inferior world. I've read a review or two (including this sites) that suggests the ATC SCM40 lack sparkle at lower volumes.

Not from me you won't. They don't need to be loud to sound great, it's just they remain sounding great when cranked up. If you're referring to the what hi fi review, that's of the mark 1 version. We're at mkll now.

Back to the OP, why not audition a pair of SCM19s? I think the leema would be a good match.

+1

Yep, I'd recommend a listen to those to, and, dare I mention them EB Acoustics EB2's if you can actually find a pair (they are brilliant performers even up close to a wall, easier to drive than ATC's, and cheaper). Oh, and rarer.... :)

On a wife-friendly note however, I'd not call them or any ATC speaker 'discrete'.

I was thinking about the 11s or the 19s. Floorstanders have been off the menu since the RS6s were sold.

After having a week off this forum I was aghast of how many times Hegel and that Scandanavian company came in other threads. So this question was mainly aimed at Steve, IQ and Andrew on their views about Leema/ATC would stack up..

plastic penguin said:
I was thinking about the 11s or the 19s. Floorstanders have been off the menu since the RS6s were sold.

After having a week off this forum I was aghast of how many times Hegel and that Scandanavian company came in other threads. So this question was mainly aimed at Steve, IQ and Andrew on their views about Leema/ATC would stack up..

Sorry to interject then but you're right about the frequent appearances. Almost as frequent as the 'go active, it's the only way' brigade. ;-)

Personally I think the 19's are quality, if you have the money and room, the 11's didn't really work in my room when I tried them but it was a big room. No idea how they stack up with Leema I'm afraid but there is no reason to think they will not make a brilliant pairing, I've heard them with a variety of amps and they seem to be quite tolerant of most (unless the amp is severly lacking in wattage / current, which I am pretty sure your Leema isn't.) (Although cannot remember which version of the Pulse you have)

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I was thinking about the 11s or the 19s. Floorstanders have been off the menu since the RS6s were sold.

Before i say what i was going to regarding atc i just want ed to say its normally non hegel owners mentioning hegel in non hegel related posts (the one about audiolab) just scroll down and see.

But for atcs. I dont think you can go wrong with the 19s as its a massive heavy midrange driver. Very well designed.
I think it weighs about 9kg.

I have not heard your amp but if it has enough power it will sound great with the 19s

I can also confirm that the atcs i listened to sounded equally good at low to very high volume. The rhing i like about them is they do not change no matter how hard they are pushed but sound good at lower volume also.

Give them a good home demo. Id be supprised if you dont have a pair. But also a warning the 19s are big

Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:

But for atcs. I dont think you can go wrong with the 19s as its a massive heavy midrange driver. Very well designed. I think it weighs about 9kg.

I have not heard your amp but if it has enough power it will sound great with the 19s

I can also confirm that the atcs i listened to sounded equally good at low to very high volume. The rhing i like about them is they do not change no matter how hard they are pushed but sound good at lower volume also.

Give them a good home demo. Id be supprised if you dont have a pair. But also a warning the 19s are big

Only a few mills difference between the two, and given they are sealed shouldn't pose a problem.

ATC

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:
I was thinking about the 11s or the 19s. Floorstanders have been off the menu since the RS6s were sold.

But for atcs. I dont think you can go wrong with the 19s as its a massive heavy midrange driver. Very well designed. I think it weighs about 9kg.

Only a few mills difference between the two, and given they are sealed shouldn't pose a problem.

ATC

Also wanted to say that the atc beat my kef rseries speakers in every department hands down

Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:

ATC

Also wanted to say that the atc beat my kef rseries speakers in every department hands down

Which means ziltch to me, as I haven't heard the 'R' series before. Did hear the LS50 briefly but with the Arcam A19.

The main concern about all ATC speakers is it quotes amps 75watts upwards. Given the Pulse is 80 watts the margins are small.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The smaller ATC's are inefficient, in the very low 80's db/w but are not too difficult an electrical load (I have measurements in a mag somewhere, glad to dig it out if it helps).

The only issue I can see is ultimate loudness. If high volume and strong bass is not a concern they should be ok. That is why I mentioned them in another thread where an Icon amplifier owner was looking for new speakers which have accurate tonal timbre.

I would have thought you will be looking at a very neutral sound with your Leema. Whether this is the most cost effective way to achieve that, I don't know. I'd somehow imagine a pair of AVI ADM's will do a similar thing at rather less money?

I have no idea why I bother to post in this thread as I don't own either the amplifiers or speakers in question.

I love to theorise though :) (and I did own a low power valve amplifier which I used with inefficient IB speakers to very good effect. However, valve amps are good at swinging volts rather than current and this seems to suit sealed but easy load designs)

'appy weekend children x

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The 11s are great and have a superb midrange and amazing detail but lacked a little bottom end depth for me. Surprising, they sounded very similar in our lounge as they did in a massive barn style shop we listened to them in on the end of my Arcam A38 (in terms of scale). They are quite inefficient though as someone else mentioned.

Wish I'd listened to the 19s but they were a bit of a stretch. Check out Audio Physics. I have a set of Classic 10s on home demo at the moment. Massive scale and just as much insight as the ATC allied to a superb tight and deep bottom end! They are really close to the back wall, sound great and have a small footprint for a floorstander.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
p_m_brown said:
Check out Audio Physics. I have a set of Classic 10s on home demo at the moment. Massive scale and just as much insight as the ATC allied to a superb tight and deep bottom end! They are really close to the back wall, sound great and have a small footprint for a floorstander.
They certainly are a fine looking speaker. What finish are yours in? Would you go for the coloured glass?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The demo pair are finished in Oak which I didn't really like in the showroom but they really go with my Hifi unit. I probably won't go for the glass finish as it adds another 300 quid to the price!

Walnut looks smart though and looks great in real life too.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Jota180 said:

It was the MKII actives and I also read much the same view in another review about the new passives.

http://www.whathifi.com/atc/scm40a/review

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
PP just to add to the above, colins Abrahamsen made an extremely loud noise with my 40s, so I think you'd be fine with the leema. I think it would be a good match personally.

There is a significant diference in current delivery with 100,000uF, 1000VA and 12 output devices VS 20,000uf, 350VA and 4 trannies. However, DM was spot on saying these SCM 19s are benign load with impedance not droping bellow 5ohms. They don't require a gutsy power supply, just more volts for volume. Roksan K2 and K3 would be a good match and I don't think the Pulse will struggle to get volume out of them if they are close to the walls (adds at least 3dB efficiency boost).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
SteveR750 said:
PP just to add to the above, colins Abrahamsen made an extremely loud noise with my 40s, so I think you'd be fine with the leema. I think it would be a good match personally.

There is a significant diference in current delivery with 100,000uF, 1000VA and 12 output devices VS 20,000uf, 350VA and 4 trannies. However, DM was spot on saying these SCM 19s are benign load with impedance not droping bellow 5ohms. They don't require a gutsy power supply, just more volts for volume. Roksan K2 and K3 would be a good match and I don't think the Pulse will struggle to get volume out of them if they are close to the walls (adds at least 3dB efficiency boost). 

+1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts