Question on Audyssey

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
First of all I should list the equipment I am talking about I have the following set up in a 5.1 configuration

Denon AVR X6400H
Monitor Audio Gold G5 200 (L&R)
MA G5 250 Centre
MA G5 FX (Rears)

I have had the amp a while but i have only had the speaks a year or so which replaced Tannoy Revolution Signature Revolutions. Audyssey seemed to do a pretty good job at taming the Tannoys in my room but it has been a bit more of a struggle to set up the MAs with a lot more tweaking required. Basically Audyssey seems to want to max out all frequencies above 8KHz which as you can imagine with ribbon tweeters is a very uncomfortable listen. Ear fatigue kicks in after around 2 minutes and my ears feel like when taking off on a plane.

To fix this I tried downloading the MultEQ app where I can add a frquency range filter. I have done this and set the filter to 300Hz so that audeyssey only corrects (Or Should only correct) every below that frequency, leaving everything above it untouched.

I did thi and sent it to the amp, but when I set Audyssey to 'flat' on the amp it seems to ignore the filter and it runs eq correction from 20hz to 20Khz. When I set it to 'Reference' there still seems to be some kind of top end roll off in play.

What I need to do if possible is have audyssey only correct everything below 300Hz and everything above that is completley untouched. Can I do this ?

At the moment 'Flat' is very uncomfortable with immense top end. Reference is dull with the high end rol off. I need it to be somewhere in the middle.

I should add that I have switched all the extras off - Mid range compensation Dynamic volume etc.

Cheers

Phil

TheRooster

Jul 24, 2020
Visit site
One more thing I should have said. With movies all of this is not really an issue. I watch a lot of Music Concert Blu rays and its then where the ear fatigue and EQ problems seem to exist.

abacus

Ribbon speakers should be the opposite of fatiguing unless they are being really boosted to high levels; I suspect it is a room problem that is confusing the room correction software and thus setting the wrong levels, (Audyssey is renowned for being hit and miss on auto settings and thus modifications are manually needed to get a decent sound) so I am afraid the only way is to put the work in to get it sounding as you like, (You may find setting everything manually will be the better option) having different settings for music and films.
If possible try moving the speakers and some of the furnishing to give a more balanced sound before correction is required. (Curtains, pillows, rugs etc. are also beneficial)
Failing the above you may need to change your speakers and/or receiver (With far superior room correction on board) to better suit your room. (I take it you did try the combination out at a dealer before purchase as it should have highlighted the problems that may occur, with the dealer being able to suggest a different combination from experience)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts