Question for Tom Parsons

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Tom, I don't know if you remember but I asked you a question at the What Hi-Fi Show (at the end of the demo) about the 2 channel analogue stereo outputs on HD players (as in, Blu-ray and HD DVD). I have asked this question on the forum awhile back but I never really got a good answer, as it wasn't actually answered by anyone from the What Hi-Fi team, like yourself. Basically what I wanted to know was whether or not HD DVD or Blu-ray players can output 2.0 channel HD sound via their 2 channel analogue stereo outputs (the same way as they output 5.1 / 7.1 channel HD sound via the 5.1 / 7.1 analogue outputs)? The reason I want to know is because I would really like to put a system together for movies in HD, and listening to music, which I would like to be able to listen to with no compromises. Also, I'm just not that interested in having surround sound as it can be a little bit unsettling and I don't have room for all the speakers. Anyway what I am basically asking is whether you can get Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 or Dolby True HD 2.0, like you can get Dolby Digital 2.0? (and whether these can be output via a players 2.0 analogue outputs. Any response would be much appreciated. Thanks.

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
yes benjamin i think that is a great question that many 2 channel only people would like answered as many would have quite a high grade setup...for e.g...suppose one had a pair of say BW802 speakers and say Electrocompanient amplifier, then would this high tier 2 channel setup sound really good for movies as in would i miss the fact that there is no centre channel..Would the 802's imaging etc be good enough to 'fill in' the missing centre channel dialogue ?....(not everyone wants the clutter a surround system gives)

A

Anonymous

But Andrew there are 2 channels outputs so they must output something.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I guess they're mainly there for users wanting to just hook up to a stereo amp, just like you. They'll also work when playing CDs, and with movies with standard Dolby Digital and DTS souindtracks which can be downmixed in the player to stereo, or straight two-channel soundtracks.

I haven't encountered any discs with 2.0-channel HD soundtracks yet, but at risk of making a festive turkey pun, perhaps Parsons knows of some.

However, I've done some checking of online manuals, and for example the new Sony BD players can do a two-channel downmix from the HD audio formats and output it from the stereo analogue outs, but this needs to be selected in the audio set-up menu - it doesn't happen automatically.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your swift response Andrew. So, you mean that the two new Blu-ray players from Sony will downmix HD soundtracks to 2.0, to be sent to a stereo amp via the analogue 2 channel outputs? When you say this has to be selected from the menu, is this a one-off or is it something that has to be done every time you use the player? Also, will the quality of the sound not be as good as via the 5.1 / 7.1 analogue outputs, or is it just a matter of less channels but equal in terms of quality (dynamics, openness, punch, etc.)?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="BenjaminHart"]

So, you mean that the two new Blu-ray players from Sony will downmix HD soundtracks to 2.0, to be sent to a stereo amp via the analogue 2 channel outputs?

[/quote]

Yes.

When you say this has to be selected from the menu, is this a one-off or is it something that has to be done every time you use the player?

[/quote]

Selected in the player's set-up menu, so you only have to do it once.

Also, will the quality of the sound not be as good as via the 5.1 / 7.1 analogue outputs, or is it just a matter of less channels but equal in terms of quality (dynamics, openness, punch, etc.)?

[/quote]

It should be every bit as good, as the resolution will be the same, provided the downmix algorithms work correctly. Afraid I haven't tried this for myself, so can't illuminate any further.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts