Question for radiorog (or anyone else for that matter)...

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to single you out from the crowd, Rog, but I noticed that you have the same CD player as me (Cambridge 651 Azur) and a similar price-point amp (Regar Brio-R to my Arcam A-18). However, the reason for this question is that you have speakers that I have had my eye on for a while, the Dynaudio DM 2/7s. They are currently on offer at Richer and I will be looking for a change from my Kef Q-300s at some point.

The Kefs are brilliant for the money -- very dynamic, detailed and engaging, but they're not the most 'natural' sounding speakers. The upper-mids are slightly clinical and the treble could be a bit sweeter. Just wondering what you thought of your Dyns. Did you trial anything else before you chose them?

unhalfbricking said:
Sorry to single you out from the crowd, Rog, but I noticed that you have the same CD player as me (Cambridge 651 Azur) and a similar price-point amp (Regar Brio-R to my Arcam A-18). However, the reason for this question is that you have speakers that I have had my eye on for a while, the Dynaudio DM 2/7s. They are currently on offer at Richer and I will be looking for a change from my Kef Q-300s at some point.

The Kefs are brilliant for the money -- very dynamic, detailed and engaging, but they're not the most 'natural' sounding speakers. The upper-mids are slightly clinical and the treble could be a bit sweeter. Just wondering what you thought of your Dyns. Did you trial anything else before you chose them?

I would say the Dyns will have a more 'agreeable' presentation, however (it is a BIG however) I'm unsure how they'll pair with Arcam A18. You may find it'll sound good but the 50 watts of Arc could struggle once it's cranked up. A dem is essential if your heart is set of those Dyns.

While you're at Richer I would listen to Tannoy DC4, 6 or Signature 6.1, Q Acoustic Concept or Wharfedale 122. Or go to your nearest Kef dealer and listen to the 'R' range. By all accounts they're a little warmer than the 'Q' series.

matthewpiano

Mine are the smaller DM2/6 but a very similar overall sound, and after a long period of struggling to settle with speakers (including Q300s) the Dyns still have me captivated after 7 months of ownership. This is using an amp which is very much equivalent to a Brio-R. With the upgrade to the Rega CD player they sound even better.

On first listen you will find the Dyns less explicit than the KEFs. They are a very natural and unforced sounding speaker and they take you over in a beguiling way. The detail is actually all there but it isn't thrown at you in the same way.

They aren't hard to drive either.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi unhalf.b.,

Soz for late reply, and may I say I feel like I have made it in life now, being sommonsed in a forum *yahoo* haha.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the kefs and have no idea what they sound like, the only other speakers I heard with the brio r set up were monitor audio ones at £500. They might have been the s1's but it was last year so may have been an earlier model. I obviously preferred the dynaudios. They were just more punchier, and I thought they would sound better with rock music and the like which I listen to occasionally. The timing and dynamics of the dyns blew me away once I brought them home. I noticed a huge upgrade from my previous mordaunt short 902's. They have excellent bass,and warmth, but with a fantastic and sweet treble which is never shrill and I have never felt lacking either. So all in all, I feel they are fantastic speakers,and great to live with. Quite often,after having them for a year, I am still totally amazed at the quality of sound my system produces,and pleasurable noises my speakers make. I did however audition them with an arcam A19 and I knew within less than 30 seconds that something was wrong. There was virtually zero bass. This was in a different listening room, which was quite cold which may have effected things marginally, but I knew quickly the arcan wouldn't match and I ruled it out. The arcam was also only just out of box,2 hours running in,but I feel this wasn't the main reason for the sound. Whf reviews also mentioned that the arcam needs careful partnering,so I guess this is true. The dyns are 4 ohm and maybe the arcam struggled somehow? I have Jo idea how your arcam compares to the output of the a19 though. So I would be careful, and definitely audition. If richer are doing a deal,I would totally recommend if the amp matches OK with them. They are fantastic allrounders. I haven't heard many other speakers in the £500-£1000 mark,so don't have much to compare with though. I hope this helps you somehow. :)

TRENDING THREADS