Question for David (FrankHarvey)...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi David,

With regards to a previous post of mine where you recommended a Bryston 4B to go with my Model Two's, are my speakers really be good enough to warrant spending that sort of money on an amp to power them? It looks as though I could get a second hand 4B for about £1500 so what other amps would you recommend between £1000-1500? I am now set on replacing the A3...

Thanks,

James

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi James

The Model .2 series has been improved upon with the current Reference series, but yes, they are that good. Speakers of this quality cry out for top quality amplification, but rarely get - I hate to think how many people have speakers of this quality and aren't hearing them any where near their potential. Some probably never will.

I searched long and hard to find a power amp that could do my old 4.2's justice. Many sounded ok, but I knew the speakers could deliver more. Once I tried the 7B's, I knew instantly that it was exactly what I was looking for. The speaker suddenly had effortless dynamics, bottomless bass, a completely open and unrestricted treble and midrange, with no hint of harshness or compression. Using dts 24/96 material, the bass was literally scary - subs were not needed. I couldn't fault a single aspect of the sound.

The Model 2's are no slouch either. Their bass depth might be a little limited in comparison, but their abilities as far as dynamics and openness will be the same. The Bryston amplification seems to have the same values as KEF's Reference range - marry them together and you get their strengths in spades. There will be other power amps around on the used market for £1,000-1,5000, but I know what I'd have no hesitation in going for - a 4B/4Bst/4Bsst/4Bsst2 (whichever incarnation) is a serious power amp, one you can rely on to do the job a power amp is designed to do.

A

Anonymous

David thanks for the quick reply. Once christmas is out of the way I am going to keep a look out for a 4B. I will probably be looking for an older one with my budget but from what I have read about them buying older shouldn't be an issue. I get the impression you like Kef's so how would you say the new Reference line up fairs against similar priced competition? Would you say the Model Fours (from the mid 90's like my two's) overcome the possible lack of bass that my Model Two's have? I have seen a photo of a pair of four's next to a pair of two's and the cabinets are huge!

A

Anonymous

Oh also what pre amp would you recommend for the 4B?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well other than a Tag AV32r, I've only ever used Bryston pre-amps with their power amps. There aren't very many quality pre-amps around, and most tend to hold back the power amp. But Bryston make decent ones, and carries on the sort of sound that the power amp is trying to achieve. Of course, using different pre's can give you different results, and this can be used to tailor the sound to the individual's taste.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
james_LR90:I get the impression you like Kef's so how would you say the new Reference line up fairs against similar priced competition? Would you say the Model Fours (from the mid 90's like my two's) overcome the possible lack of bass that my Model Two's have? I have seen a photo of a pair of four's next to a pair of two's and the cabinets are huge!
Over the years I've had access to many brands of speakers, and there's been many that I have liked, but I find many manufacturers inconsistent, or just not competitive. The KEF's tick more boxes for me than other brands - there are a couple of areas where I don't like to compromise, regardless of how good everything else sounds.

The current Reference line up takes some getting used to for some people - they're a little like ATC in this respect. People aren't used to a clean midrange and upper bass, and aren't used to speakers that have a more accurate frequency response. When people talk about having impact or kick, they are usually referring to the bass, but speakers should be precise and dynamic across the whole frequency range. Just compare snare drums on a track and it's blatantly obvious just how much better they're conveyed on Reference. This also applies to the leading edge of notes.

Because of this, I find the range extremely competitive, especially as they also serve AV very well because of what I've mentioned above. The standout models for me are the 201 and 205 in particular.

I think Model 4's would be a bit of a culture shock as far as size is concerned, but if you can house them, they're stunning - just don't forget the amplification necessary to do the job! I don't think you should be lacking though - unless your current amp just isn't doing the job. After owning 4.2's and 1.2's, I can't stress enough the importance of the accompanying amplification. It'll be the make or break of a speaker.

T

the record spot

james_LR90:
Hi David,

With regards to a previous post of mine where you recommended a Bryston 4B to go with my Model Two's, are my speakers really be good enough to warrant spending that sort of money on an amp to power them? It looks as though I could get a second hand 4B for about £1500 so what other amps would you recommend between £1000-1500? I am now set on replacing the A3...

Thanks,

James

If you're serious about the Bryston 4B and it's the power amp you're after, there's one kicking around for £750 - used - from an excellent dealer in Edinburgh.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd assume that'd be quite an old one - if not, a bargain!!

Oh, and just to add - Bryston comes with a transferable 20 year warranty, so even buying a 5 year old Bryston still gives you a 15 year warranty. If you have a serial number, you can check out a product's history by calling PMC - their UK distributor.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. record spot I will have a look for that one on the net as it sounds a good price. I will probably have to wait until after christmas though to be honest as I really shouldn't be spending that sort of money on myself at this time of the year! Really do not want to end up in the dog house!

David the Model Four would be complete overkill in the size room I have my hi-fi in but it would be nice to snap up a pair if I saw some just incase I did ever have a larger listening room. Plus they are absolutely beautiful and I guess quite rare now so would be nice to own them. I would love a pair of the new reference line but they are way out of my budget... maybe in a couple of years! I certainly don't think my two's are lacking in bass in my not too large room, I'm pretty sure its just my amp not having control over the bass that is the problem as the bass tends to sound muddy and lacking kick and definition.

Again thanks for the replies and hopefully I will be posting again after christmas with the news that I have a 4B and that my speakers are singing like they should!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
james_LR90:I'm pretty sure its just my amp not having control over the bass that is the problem as the bass tends to sound muddy and lacking kick and definition.
Yup, that's what it sounds like to me
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS