Question for Al ears

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Can you tell me how you are getting on with the Zyk. What cartridge did you have before ?

I have the same arm as you and need to replace my Cadenza Red. I had considered a Benz Glider or Wood but I may try a Zyk.

Hi lost angeles, the Zyx is doing just fine, these are much under-rated in my opinion and you get a lot of quality for the money.

Having said that I did pay quite a bit less than RRP by buying direct from Japan.

Prior to the Zyx I had a Denon 103R and also a Dynavector Karat 17D2 (which I still have as a backup). I cannot say how the Zyx will compare with the Ortofon you have as I have never owned a Cadenza Red, why do you need to change it?

The Cadenza is fairly low output like my Zyx so I take it you have a reasonable phono preamp.

I would suggest you try a Zyx cartridge, it may not produce the so called 'ortofon sound' but you may find it's actually better.

There are reviews of the Zyx online and if you do decide to get one then look at buying direct (they are overpriced by comparison here in the UK).

Are you in the UK?

Like you I have entertained the idea of getting a Benz Micro Wood SL but believe if I were to move away from the Zyx I would be aiming at a Lyra Delos.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I retired in September and a new Cartridge and Speakers were going to be a present for myself, unfortunately I’ve been a bit slow sorting things out and after posting yesterday my amp has packed up so that now needs to go back to Roksan and that will delay things even further. I don’t think it’s a serious problem all the lights work, it seems as if the Tape button has malfunctioned and is holding the sound off, I’ve had the top off and can’t see anything burnt out.

I have a Trichord Dino +PSU phono stage, live in the UK, the Cadenza has had plenty of use and I have considered seeing if I could get it re-tipped after I have a new cartridge. Think I may well try a Zyx. What sort of music do you listen to?

Retirement eh? I wish I could only we had a surprise package come along 9 years ago (a bit of a miracle really) so early retirement is now out of the window. :)

I'm pretty sure the Cadenza could be re-tipped no problem but if you want to try the Zyx and are prepared to buy direct then try searching on Ebay for it. Generally it will bring up reputable Japanese dealers which makes things somewhat cheaper. Got mine this way with no problems whatever.

Sorry to hear about your amp, it does sound like a small switch problem rather than anything major.

I used to have a Trichord Dino. You should be able to run the Zyx through this no problem as it will handle low output versions of MC cartridges bearing in mind the Zyx is slightly lower output than your Ortofon.

Hope you track one down OK.

Enjoy your retirement (you lucky sod :) )

Regards music mine is an eclectic collection. Over the years I have listened to, and ferreted away, just about every genre.

Nowadays I am tending towards more Blues, a little Jazz here and there and even the odd Classical work.

Next step with my set-up is to pay Tom Evans a little visit as he says he's got a nice little upgrade in mind for my Vibe pre-amp - just hope it's not too expensive. :grin:

PS For your information my cartridge is the low-output version (not the-H version) and I got it for approx. £150 cheaper than the figures I see on the internet from the likes of Analogue Seduction et al.

PPS You could try here for the Zyx :-

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/jism/item/2098772664399-31-344-n/

TRENDING THREADS