Quality Compact Speakers in a Tight Spot?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I wonder whether you could help with the following.

My current system is Lossless PC > HRT Music Streamer II > Cyrus 6 > Mission 771s. I also have an Arcam CD72, but the PC is the primary source.

The Cyrus (eBay buy) has recently replaced an Arcam A65+, and I'm so pleased with the improvement this has made to the sound of my system, I'm keen to see whether I can repeat the trick with a speaker upgrade.

My major (non financial) constraint is that each speaker will have to sit within a bookcase cubical measuring 33x33cm, with the front of the speaker no more than 40cm away from the rear wall. I appreciate that this is far from ideal positioning, but two very inquisitive toddlers at home mean that my speaker stands will be staying in the loft, at least for the next couple of years.

The space issue automatically rules out a couple of obvious contenders, the B&W 685 and Kef Q300, which are slightly too tall. Unfortunately, it also appears to limit my options to speakers with rear-firing ports, which could prove problematic given the proximity to the rear wall. That said, my Missions are rear-ported, sitting approximately 18cm from the wall, and I've not noticed any unwanted bass boom from these.

The sound from the Missions is actually pretty good, particularly with acoustic recordings, but what I'm looking for is a more immersive sound-stage, plus the ability to handle denser recordings with equal aplomb. Musical tastes run from Joni Mitchell to Pavement, and everything in between.

Budget is £500 tops, but I'd be more than happy to pay less, and I'm quite prepared to go the used route. At the moment I'm drawn towards a pair of Acoustic Energy Radiance 1's, which are available B-Grade from AE on Ebay for £231 (I really like the idea of grabbing a pair of '£600 speakers' at this price), but other contenders are:

Epos M5i (£230 @ Superfi)

Arcaydis DM1 (£299)

Monitor Audio RX1 (£400)

Rega RS1 (£438 )

EB Acoustics EB1 (£470)

My question is - will any of these or any others in this price range, work in my setup and give me an appreciable improvement over my Missions; or should I hold on until such time as stand mounting is an option?

All suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated.

T

the record spot

I'll suggest the AVI Neutron V (currently going on deal I think) and the Tannoys I use below. One apparently excellent, the other definitely so (that's the Tannoys in case you're wondering...!). Both within your budget, both the right size. The only slight thing with the Tannoys is they taper in from front to back a little - trapezoidal cabinet design.

A

Anonymous

I use a pair of second hand AE1 Classics in similar position. They have front firing bass ports so that helps. Can get them for £400 S/H. Got mine off the bay.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the pointers.

One quick question - I thought I read somewhere that the Neutrons were quite hard to drive - is that likely to be an issue given that my amp is 45w p/channel? And what types of speakers should I avoid based on this relatively low power?

T

the record spot

The AVI website rates the Neutron V as 87.5db. See their website for more details.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that the Neutron V speakers are exellent and despite having a rear port they work very well when used close to a rear wall. However AVI do say that they need to be used with a powerful amplifier to hear them at their best. When used with the 100 watt per channel AVI amplifiers they sound sublime but I've no idea what they'd be like with your 45 watt per channel Cyrus amp.

They would be well worth a demo if you get the chance though because they're on sale for just £300 at the moment which is an absolute bargin. IMO they're on a par sound quality wise with much more expensive speakers such as the £1050 PMC DB1i.

theadmans

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
I use AVI Neutron IV (the previous model but very similar to the V) in a tight bookcase similar to yours.

My Creek 4330 amp only has 40 watts (although it does have a high current rating). Anyway my amp sounds fine driving the Neutrons. The AVI website used to have pictures of Neutrons on bokshelves surrounded by books - they seem the ideal speaker for your situation.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Here's the sensitivity ratings for the speakers your interested in. Hope this helps. :)

AVI Neutron V - 87.5dB/w/m

Acoustic Energy AE1 - 88dB/w/m

Tannoy Revolution DC4 - 89dB/w/m

Epos M5i - 87dB/w/m

Arcaydis DM1 - 87dB/w/m

Monitor Audio RX1 - 89dB/w/m

Rega RS1 - 90dB/w/m

EB Acoustics EB1 - 86dB/w/m

T

the record spot

I'd throw in the original Mission 751 too - should be just about the right size (might be close though), a better speaker than the 771 and the bass port is at the front. Should sit nicely with your tastes as long as it fits! You'll find mint condition pairs for around £100-120.

John Duncan

steve_1979 said:
IMO they're on a par sound quality wise with much more expensive speakers such as the £1050 PMC DB1i.

IMO they're not, having owned them both.

Though I wouldn't put either of them in a bookcase. I'd rather have a pair of (front ported) Diamond 9.1s in the OP's situation than either...

A

Anonymous

I'll second the Tannoy suggestion. I have the DC 4 sig: great speakers that would do the trick nicely.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Seriously consider the MA Apex A10's.
Will do everything and more that you require.
Add a sub at a later date and you will be laughing.

A

Anonymous

If you do decide to go for the AE radiance you won't be disappointed by the 'b' stock. I bought the radiance sub from them last year and it was in fantastic condition and sounds amazing.

Obviously every one will be different but definitely a potential bargain.

Matt

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
AVI do say that they need to be used with a powerful amplifier.

I've just had a check of this and AVI say that the 100 watts per channel that they use is the minimum required to hear the Neutron V at its best. I'd expect that they would still sound fine with less though.

My advice would be to take your Cyrus amp with you and have a listen to several speakers and make your own mind up which is best. Acoustic Energy's small bookshelf sized speakers are always very good IMO and would definitely be worth an audition.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions - plenty of food for thought here.

A couple more questions: A couple of the posters above mentioned the AVI Neutruns being on deal for £300 at the moment, but they're showing as £399 on the AVI website. Have I missed out on this deal?

Also, I've still got a hankering towards the Acoustic Energy Radiance 1's: Does anyone have these speakers or have direct experience of them?

Thanks again.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
rain.parade said:
A couple more questions: A couple of the posters above mentioned the AVI Neutruns being on deal for £300 at the moment, but they're showing as £399 on the AVI website. Have I missed out on this deal?

For some reason they never seem to mention it on their website when they have a deal on. They did say on facebook and another forum a few weeks ago that the Neutrons are only £300 at the moment. It would probably be best to contact them direct to confirm this though.

I should probably add that although they sound good when used close to a rear wall I've never tried them in a bookshelf like you intend to and with the port being at the back this might cause problems.

rain.parade said:
Also, I've still got a hankering towards the Acoustic Energy Radiance 1's: Does anyone have these speakers or have direct experience of them?

I'm not sure which exact models I've heard but I did listen to a few of Acoustic Energy's bookshelf speakers (active and passives) and liked them all.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
ATC SCM7 or the Audionote AX1

Nice (and unusual) to see someone else recommend Audio Note on here.....in fact your system of Luxman + Keesonic is fairly unique, and I suspect sounds great!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
It does, the Kolts would be ideal for this application being a selaed box and designed for near wall placment in mind, but are extremely rare. Think a faster and more neautral, but slightly lightweight version of the Proac Tablettes. They are similar in presentation style to the SCM7's but a bit easier to drive.

I have not heard the AX1's myself but they are designed on the KISS princeple of a simple good 2-way, paper cones, easy to drive and minimal crossover.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
It does, the Kolts would be ideal for this application being a selaed box and designed for near wall placment in mind, but are extremely rare. Think a faster and more neautral, but slightly lightweight version of the Proac Tablettes. They are similar in presentation style to the SCM7's but a bit easier to drive.

I have not heard the AX1's myself but they are designed on the KISS princeple of a simple good 2-way, paper cones, easy to drive and minimal crossover.

I owned the Keesonic Kubs, which were my first "bought" speaker, in about 1980....I remember them with fondness. They replaced the ones I made in design class, and were on the end of a Sony TAF4A and Trio KD 1033 TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts