Quad Vena

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just to let you know there is a review of the Quad Vena in the current issue of 'Hi-Fi World'.

It gets a 5 globes rating. Their test suggests 55 watts per channel measured (8 Ohms) rather than the 45wpc quoted by Quad.

Vladimir will enjoy the 'lid-off' photo.

I like the fact that it's digital section includes two optical inputs. (One for my TV/BDP/PVR and one for an ATV which is great for me.)

It also has an optional wooden jacket (for an extra £100) for old gits like me :)

It's under consideration. (Assuming I can find one to listen to.)

FanthorpesHiFi

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
It's a great little product. Seems to have most bases covered.

Since I unboxed one a couple of weeks ago it has quickly become one of my favourite Quad products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I've been recommending it since the day I heard it (with Sonos Faber Toy Towers). Definitely up there with the best at its price point. (Of which there are very few)

My search for local stockists would suggest that I might end up having to buy it from you
imagegif

andyrich_2000

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Does it have Airplay and Bluetooth? How come there are no other reviews anywhere?!

Fanthorpes - what speakers would you recommend with a budget of say £500 to go with it? Dali 3? B&W's?

andyrich_2000 said:
Does it have Airplay and Bluetooth? How come there are no other reviews anywhere?!

Fanthorpes - what speakers would you recommend with a budget of say £500 to go with it? Dali 3? B&W's?

Yep Bluetooth of the aptX variety - no Airplay. Don't know why you'd want both anyway.

Vickers are selling them with Quad 11L speakers funnily enough, yours for an extra 286 notes, meaning you save about £34 on the speakers. *biggrin*

FanthorpesHiFi

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
It has Bluetooth, optical, coax and usb digital along with 2 x analogue inputs and a stereo pre out :)

Yes they're both good choices. I'd also add the Monitor Audio Silver 1 to the list.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
These have been on my radar for a while now, and they won a group test in Hi-Fi Choice last month and got a glowing review in that esteemed mag.

I have provisionally booked a home demo with a local dealer, and I will be keen to see how it performs, hopefully this coming weekend.

A

Anderson

Funny. I emailed Quad the other day as the page for the Vena is broken, none of the download links work. I got a reply saying they'd send me some stuff but haven't heard back since.

This is a class D amp I believe and it operates differently from most others from the limited material I've read.

Would love more info.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Anderson said:
Funny. I emailed Quad the other day as the page for the Vena is broken, none of the download links work. I got a reply saying they'd send me some stuff but haven't heard back since.

This is a class D amp I believe and it operates differently from most others from the limited material I've read.

It's class A/B.

Quad never look after their website.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The lack of AirPlay can be easily addressed with an Apple TV for £79 (the Quad has two optical inputs so that's fine) but, I am used to controlling the volume of my system from my iPhone (or iPad Mini) whether it's BBC iPlayer Radio or iTunes or anything else.

It would be cumbersome to have to go back to using a remote again (as well as an iPhone in some cases).

Currently I have a built-in FM/DAB tuner in my Marantz and I still enjoy a bit of FM now and then. (Pity to waste a good FM roof aerial and excellent reception.)

So I might need a trip to Ebay to find a nice old FM tuner (at least until the politicians finally switch it off). As this breaks my 'no seperates' rule it will have to be something a bit retro and fun with backlit tuning scale and signal strength meter and with a small 'footprint'. (And cheap given that FM might go any time.)

DIB said:
These have been on my radar for a while now, and they won a group test in Hi-Fi Choice last month and got a glowing review in that esteemed mag.

I have provisionally booked a home demo with a local dealer, and I will be keen to see how it performs, hopefully this coming weekend.

[/quote

Yes a good review. The only they didn't like was the plasticky volume knob.

A

Anderson

chebby said:
Anderson said:

It's class A/B.

Quad never look after their website.
Oopsie. Yeah I see you're right. Thanks.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Quad Vena seems like a great product.

Similar products like the Micromega Myamp and PS Audio sprout are also getting very good reviews. Especially the Sprout has my attention.......I looks really beautiful.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The Quad Vena looks like a product with a good set of features. I would like Leema, Cyrus, Naim or Linn to come up with a similar product concept but one that's at least made in the UK. A Cyrus Lyric "03" for example that has no CD player, but keeps DAB, Bluetooth, LCD display and comes in a smaller box than the Lyric 05/09.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts