Quad Vena Apple input

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi to the Forum

Just wondering what to do about my Quad Vena Apple usb input starting to play up. Over the last week or so when connecting my iPhone into the type A usb port the sound keeps cutting out. This isn't the end of the world as the Bluetooth still works but it is annoying.

With this in mind I'm thinking what I need to do to get a wired connection. The Vena also has 2 optical inputs, am I right in thinking that I can buy a 3.5 to optical cable and connect my phone that way. Just want to make sure it would work before spending my money.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Tinman1952

Hi to the Forum

Just wondering what to do about my Quad Vena Apple usb input starting to play up. Over the last week or so when connecting my iPhone into the type A usb port the sound keeps cutting out. This isn't the end of the world as the Bluetooth still works but it is annoying.

With this in mind I'm thinking what I need to do to get a wired connection. The Vena also has 2 optical inputs, am I right in thinking that I can buy a 3.5 to optical cable and connect my phone that way. Just want to make sure it would work before spending my money.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Have you tried a different USB cable? The tiny wired connections can often fail…. If by 3.5mm you mean the headphone output …then that’s analogue not digital so would not connect to an optical input which is digital only.

Reactions: Al ears

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replying. Yes I've bought and tried another usb cable but it made no difference. Thanks for the heads up re the 3.5 to optical, I did mean the headphone out so I won't try that.

Is there another way I can connect to the amplifier?

abacus

Is it still under warrantee as if it is faulty this is the best way to go.

Check your phone to see if it can output digital over the headphone socket, (Some can) as if so you will be able to connect to the digital inputs of you amp.

If not just get a 3.5mm to phono audio cable from Amazon (Unless you want a really long one it will cost you well under a tenner) and will work fine, (I am assuming your amp has analogue inputs) however you will be relying on the quality of the phone DAC as to how good it sounds.

You can also buy an external DAC for your phone (You will not need to pay more than £50) if you don’t find your phone DAC good enough.

Bill

Reactions: Gonepostal

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
So.....I tried the 3.5 to phono audio but that didn't sound very good to me, seems to sound lifeless and flat..I then tried the Bluetooth from another phone that has the aptx codec, this sounded pretty good, not as good as connecting the iPhone to the usb. The only trouble is when I get sent a message etc it comes through the amp.

The phone I'm using is the iPhone se, how can I check to see if it can output digital over the headphone socket as I'd like to use a wired connection if possible.

As for buying another DAC I'm having trouble finding one that would accept a usb type A input. The only other one I can find is the Audiolab M DAC mini and that's quite expensive. Unfortunately I bought the amp 2 and 1/2 years ago so I think it's probably out of warranty.

Thanks.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Tinman1952

Thanks that may be just what I'm looking for. Am I right in thinking I buy one of these, connect to the iPhone then a 3.5 to optical cable to connect to my amp?
No the 3.5mm output on the adapter is analogue so you can just plug headphones into it. It has a DAC inside…so then you need the 3.5mm to 2 RCA phono lead to connect to an analogue input on your Vena. That’s just the same as your headphone output on the iPhone….
The only way I can think of to use the DAC in the Vena is to try the other type B USB input. You would need the Apple CCK adapter and then a type A to type B cable.

Vincent Kars

No, this is a DAC so 3.5 mm analog headphone out.
To the best of my knowledge only older Mac's have a headphone out doubling as a Toslink.

If you want to use the DAC of your amp, look for a USB to Toslink converter

abacus

Which USB input are you using on the Vena (It should be the type B as the USB A connector is for updates only)

How old is your iPhone SE, as Apple removed the 3.5mm jacks from their phones years ago, also what connector is on the bottom of the iPhone

Bill

Tinman1952

Which USB input are you using on the Vena (It should be the type B as the USB A connector is for updates only)

How old is your iPhone SE, as Apple removed the 3.5mm jacks from their phones years ago, also what connector is on the bottom of the iPhone

Bill
Not correct. The type A connection is an ‘Apple Docking Input’ for iPhones iPads and iPods.
1E8705FA-AAAA-4D6E-9935-6DE9F063CC1C.png

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Bill
I've got the original Vena that had a type A for connecting apple phones etc, it's the reason I bought it. Also the iPhone I have is probably about 4 years old, I've got a couple that I kept after upgrading to use solely for music. Was all working out really well until a couple if weeks ago.

abacus

abacus

I've got the original Vena that had a type A for connecting apple phones etc, it's the reason I bought it. Also the iPhone I have is probably about 4 years old, I've got a couple that I kept after upgrading to use solely for music. Was all working out really well until a couple if weeks ago.

Got You, best to get a USB A adaptor for your phone then plug a portable DAC into that, and then to the analogue input of your Vena.

Bill

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the help people. The Vena has been fine this afternoon, it only stopped working once, disconnected the lightning connection from the phone and re connected and it was fine.

Hopefully it can carry on like that if not I will be buying the CCK and a type A to type B, a bit of a pain but I don't really want to buy a new DAC as I like the sound from the internal one in the Vena.

Cheers

Reactions: Tinman1952

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, so the type A on the Vena is getting worse. I've bought a CKK adapter, I'm going to but a Type A to type B, just wanted to ask is it worth spending a lot on this cable and also does the cable length make any difference.

Thanks for any help.

abacus

USB is limited to 5m as after that you are on unstable ground.
Any decently made USB cable (Go for something that is flexible and has good strain relief on the connectors. (Gold plated connectors are good as it reduces the chance of corrosion)
Depending on length (The most common is 1m) they shouldn’t cost you more than around £5, however is you want something that looks posh (If you like showing off your cables) it should still not cost you more than £10-15 max for 1m.
You will get some saying that you must buy cables that use magic for best sound, (And cost a fortune) however they are talking complete and absolute nonsense so don’t fall for it. (Ask them to provide verifiable evidence and they come out with all sorts of nonsensical excuses)

Bill

Dom

I have an AudioQuest USB-C Dragon Tail with a noise-dissipation system that minimises RF interference and has direction controlled conductors for lower RF noise, it sounds like marketing BS? Even if it is, I don't mind as it cost 20 quid.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts