Quad S & Z Series Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxprocrj

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Friends....Any feedback on Quad S series and matching amplification ...Specially S 2 and 4

Not a single review out there.

Thanks in advance.

insider9

It really depends on what you're looking for and what you're comparing them to. There are reviews but in printed press.

I've demoed S1 a while ago in an all Quad setup. I though they were really good for what they are (tiny). It's a great introduction to ribbons. If you never heard a speaker with ribbon tweeters you're likely to fall for them easily if you value imaging and air in your music. Although if you've heard other similar designs you may think they're only average. That's the S1.

No doubt S2 would do much better due to size and S4 even better.

There's a superbly priced ex demo pair of S4 on ebay. Should I look for speakers I'd be buying straight away. Even though I'm not I'm still considering it :)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I went into the quad room at Bristol and the flagship flat range of speakers were very average. Not sure what they are, but I think people will know what I mean. Conceivably it could have been bad acoustics in the room, but some reviews of Quad are good. But I must admit I don't have much experience other than a few speakers heard.

insider9

Al ears said:
Maxprocrj said:
Nobody heard S 2 ? How will it be compared against Dynaudio Xite 14 or KEF R 300...etc

Nobody can really answer that question. You are just going to have to audition yourself I am afraid.
+1

The problem I found was dealers unwillingness to let me demo S-2. Quad apparently want S-1 to be demoed and S-4 for whatever reason.

This may be the main reason why these speakers didn't take off.

insider9 said:
Al ears said:
Maxprocrj said:
Nobody heard S 2 ? How will it be compared against Dynaudio Xite 14 or KEF R 300...etc

Nobody can really answer that question. You are just going to have to audition yourself I am afraid.
+1

The problem I found was dealers unwillingness to let me demo S-2. Quad apparently want S-1 to be demoed and S-4 for whatever reason.

How very odd. You would think they would try to sell the whole range.

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:
Al ears said:
Maxprocrj said:

+1

How very odd. You would think they would try to sell the whole range.
It could be of course an excuse of a lazy dealer. Unfortunately I've heard this from few different dealers (including Fanthorpes who I've heard are usually very good) so not sure it could be a coincidence.

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Ive just purchased a set of quad s4s, little or nothing in the way of reviews out there on them but iam listening to them in a 5 x 5 metre room with solid wooden floor, 70 cm out from the back wall & min 70 cm from side walls. With my primare i22 amp they sound sublime, ive been doing a direct comparison with my kef r500s & i can't quite believe how good they are, they certainly give the kefs a good run for there money, they trebble is very refined, the sound stage is very wide possibly even a little better than the kefs & the base is controlled yet deep ................. these really are brilliant small floor standers ..............😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts