Quad and Rocksan Combo - rubbish

F

FunkyMonkey

Heard a Quad amp and CD player, in combination with Rocksan Speakers, set up in a hifi store. Now, it was in an open "demo" area of the store. In that, not a dedicated demo room, but an area adjacent to the shop floor, set up for demoing. Now, I don't think this is a big factor in giving what sounded like a muddled, unconvincing sound.

So I ask, why do people harp on about these esoteric brands that cost thousands?

Now if I had been listening to a mini system, I still wouldn't have been that impressed.

I think a lot of hi-fi is personal taste and psychology. But trying to be objective, I can't comprehend that the system on show was worth a couple of thousands!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the acoustics of the room are imo, just as important as the system. a rubbish sounding room is a rubbish sounding room, doesn't matter what the kit is.

A

Anonymous

The acoustics of the room are more important than the system.

Some systems might be more sensitive to the room that others though.

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
FunkyMonkey:

Heard a Quad amp and CD player, in combination with Rocksan Speakers, set up in a hifi store. Now, it was in an open "demo" area of the store. In that, not a dedicated demo room, but an area adjacent to the shop floor, set up for demoing. Now, I don't think this is a big factor in giving what sounded like a muddled, unconvincing sound.

So I ask, why do people harp on about these esoteric brands that cost thousands?

Now if I had been listening to a mini system, I still wouldn't have been that impressed.

I think a lot of hi-fi is personal taste and psychology. But trying to be objective, I can't comprehend that the system on show was worth a couple of thousands!

Quad? Roksan? Esoteric?

A

Anonymous

heard an amstrad mini system in currys today, that was rubbish aswell !!!

lol

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I heard the Roksan speakers to, awfull hard mess of sound.

They sound bad or they have to be matched with a powerful warm/relaxing sounding amp.

But let's face it, Is Roksan known for it's speakers?

A

Anonymous

Can anybody advise which will sound better a Quad 22l2 or 11l2 with a L2 sub-woofer in terms of music. I audition 11L2 in one of my friend's house and the sound-stage was amazing. Few people say for music Tower speaker are better and few advise a bookshelf with sub-woofer is better. I have Quad 909 and 99 preamp. i have medium size room

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Agreed: maybe Roksan electronics and Quad speakers would have been a better combination.

You took the words right out of my mouth!
emotion-29.gif

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen:

Should I buy new curtains instead of new cables then?
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

visionary:Fahnsen:

Should I buy new curtains instead of new cables then?
emotion-14.gif

Maybe blinds instead?
emotion-18.gif

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Heard the Roksan speakers with Roksan kit and also found the sound very muddled and flat. Definitely the speakers that are the weak link. Quad amplification is beautiful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts