Quad 909 Purchase

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Just a quick qu: The Quad 909 has been around afaik since I started looking at hifi many years ago. Has the power amplifier been updated or is it essentially the same model that was so originally effective and hasnt needed a revision? Thx

A

Anonymous

I honestly dont know, i just hope it doesnt sound bland.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You'll probably find the midrange might come across as a little clearer on the Mono X's than the 909. I've said before that not many amplifiers can match the very natural midrange of the 909, but others will probably outperform it at the frequency extremes. But I usually find that amps that are better at bass and treble get nowhere near the 909 for midrange, unless you pay extremely silly money.

I wouldn't say that the 909 sounds dull - many people claim the Quad stuff sounds laid back, but this was usually down to their CD players and pre-amps, and many people stereotyping the typical Quad sound - the power amps are actually quite lively, it's just that they're smoother than others. I certainly find them far more listenable than other equivalents.

Quad may have made small updates to their amplification - I would have to check to find this out for certain - but there are many hi-fi classics like the 909 that just live on and on using their original design, basically because they were well designed in the first place.

A

Anonymous

I agree with everything David has said above. I'd also add that although the Quad 909 design is excellent there's a little room for component improvement by a firm like DADA. They can use their Quad 606 upgrade on the 909 to apparently good effect. I think any "off the shelf" hifi component has room for such improvements as they're made for a price.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately, so far im very disappointed with the quad. Although i am listening at low volumes as im currently running in some new speakers, so maybe once i turn the volume up to a modest level things will get better.

I fear the quad sound may be too laid back. I cant really afford to buy the cyrus mono amps (they are one third extra in australia compard to the uk), but i may have no choice. At least i know a dealer who is willing to loan me the cyrus gear overnight. I dont care if the quad lacks base, but i want my mids crisp and clear and dynamic, and so far im hearing boring, dull, laid back and overly smooth.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that describing various aspects of sound can be a little hit and miss sometimes. I'd have no problem in recommending the 909 to anyone as it's a fantastic amp for the money, but sometimes, when people know exactly what they want, it's sometimes a case of having to have a listen to a few things to get some ideas. If you're not happy with the Quad, then no doubt something like the Mono X's wil do what you need them to - I would expect them to seeing as they cost three times the amount of the 909! You could also try the Bryston 2Bsst2, ATC P1, Primare A33.2, and Trichord D300 Mono power amps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks frank ill see how i go, hopefully things will improve with the quad but if not ill consider the cyrus gear. Your posts are really appreciated and im greatful for your feedback. Thankyou mate.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
David
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

The problem is that describing various aspects of sound can be a little hit and miss sometimes. I'd have no problem in recommending the 909 to anyone as it's a fantastic amp for the money, but sometimes, when people know exactly what they want, it's sometimes a case of having to have a listen to a few things to get some ideas. If you're not happy with the Quad, then no doubt something like the Mono X's wil do what you need them to - I would expect them to seeing as they cost three times the amount of the 909! You could also try the Bryston 2Bsst2, ATC P1, Primare A33.2, and Trichord D300 Mono power amps.

Or if your going to spend that amount of money then why not go for a Sugden Masterclass, i missed out on one a while back and have been kicking myself since, how many times can you kick yourself
emotion-6.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It would be an option for some, but Sudgen tends to be biased heavily into Class A, so wouldn't really be the OP's cup of tea by the sounds of it.

In that case I could've mentioned the Rega Exon 3's as well....

A

Anonymous

Yea i see what you mean david, right as always, have to say though that when i listened to the masterclass it was like standing in a hallway, listening to music through a closed door then someone opening the door and a wall of fantastic sound hitting you.

A

Anonymous

maxheadroom:

Look I'm going to be honest....buying anything hifi without a home demo with well run in equipment in your room with your system is madness.Everything inter-reacts to the point that reviews are nothing more than very rough pointers in planning a short list .

If the amp is new how long are you going to give it to run in before you decide if you have made the right choice and without any comparison of new models you will never know.

If power is the only issue and you actually liked the sound of your cyrus 8vs why not buy a cyrus 8 power amp + 2x psxrs off fleebay and if it still did not do the trick at least you could get your money back.

And finally if you buy anything hi fi by reading the spec's or reading reviews you will overlook some of the best equipment out there and you will be buying blind and on a wing and a prayer.

Ever wondered why so much hifi equipment is for sale second hand and barely out of the box?

Look I'm really sorry.....but buying any hi fi without a good home demo is madness and It looks like you are its latest victim.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

as a long term Quad user, and currently owner of 2x606, 1x405 and 1x303 amp..... I am not exactly unbiased!

However.... I believe you bought yours used.... it might be worthwhile getting it checked out by Esmond, the Australian Dada representative (he currently is finishing work on one of my 606's)

It might be that you don't go for the Quad "house sound" - but it might also be that your 909 has had a hard life....

The 606's/707's are well nigh identical to the 909's - power supply is the main difference, and if you upgrade the 606/707 with dada you can eliminate that advantage...

Which leads me to an exercise I recently did - I purchased a 2nd 606 - compared it to my existing one - (sounded the same) - then sent it to Dada for the full upgrade....

I then compared them again - the upgraded unit has the same house sound.... but sweeter, smoother and firmer more dynamic....

I also have a brand new Onkyo TX-SR876 which is considered a reasonable quality Receiver/Amp..... but the Quads were definitely better - even without the upgrade.

In days of yore when I worked in "HiFi" I used to sell Quad alongside Revox, and a few of the more mainstream brands (Pioneer, Marantz, Dual....). The quad amps were then midrange kings - and good throughout the range.... I remember finding the Revox a bit too "clinical"/"Cold".

In any case I doubt you will have trouble finding a home for your 909 if ultimately it is not to your taste.... there are lots of us "Quad heads" out here.

Best of Luck

David

A

Anonymous

Have no fear, 909 is superb amp for any money. Incidentally, the 'power' has very little to do with it. Best amp I ever heard put out all of 8watts! Maybe its the appeal of a number that allows comparisons.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This is very old thread you gave restarted, and in the intervening years the 909 has been discontinued. So try ebay for a second hand one - there are quite a lot come up and the 909 is one of the more reliable second hand buys. Alternatively, the amp which replaced it is the QSP - there is also a mono version, the QMP.

hope that helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts