Quad 606 + Quad 44 or new Yamaha AS501 (or similar)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

Mr P. said:
Hi Vladimir;

Saw a few pictures of these while looking around at Quad stuff and they do look amazing. I was speaking to another friend about buying a 'new' amp and he said he thought he had a pair of Wharfedale Ditton 44's at his shop (he's a sound engineer/instrument dealer), with 1 damaged tweeter, and a pair of working 33's, which, if he still has, he'd sell for £125 for both pairs. They've been in his family since the 70's and, although I haven't seen them yet, the only thing wrong is the 1 tweeter (could replace with one from the 33's, I think). Don't think they come with a nice pink jumper, though. The only info I can find seems to be for Celestion Dittons (I guess these are the same - related company?), but they definitely seem to be much-loved for their "rich, warm sound". Do you think these would compliment the Quad amps? I hadn't meant to spend any more for a while, but are these too good to pass up, do you think? Sorry to be asking for advice again, but it's been a real help.

Cheers.

All the Dittons are Celestions, and fine speakers they are too. Never thought my old 44s sounded particularly warm though, especially with the grilles off.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that's a good point, Vladimir; not thought of it like that. I might still have a look at them, but may have to consult the bank balance before doing anything. I'll come back here once I've wired in the Quads.

Cheers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
With the Quad now you don't have to worry about speaker synergy. Forget about impedance, efficiency, phase shifts etc. It will drive any speaker on the planet. You have the ultimate luxury to buy any speaker you want. If you like Celestions, you get to have Celestions. You want isobarics or electrostatics, you can have them.

Mr P.

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Really; My. God.

Hi Vladimir, davedotco and all that recommended going for the Quads. Spent the weekend wiring up the Quad 606 and 44 and the switching gear, then listening, and listening, and listening. I had expected an improvement but, blimey Charlie. This will all sound pretty cliche-ridden, but it's true.. I played a few vinyl albums and EPs first (John Grant - piano, strings and vocal mainly; James Blake - piano, electronics and vocal; Junior Reid/King Tubby - bass, bass, some vocals and more bass) and sat there with a big grin building across my face. Clarity in all the tunes that I hadn't heard on any of my previous domestic hi-fi set-ups - eg. intakes of breath on solo vocals; incredible subtlety in piano and strings; some sections I'd previously thought were literally silent surprising me with light percussion details. Bass that didn't just boom but filled the room (sorry, couldn't resist it). Seriously, though, I listen to a lot of reggae and it'll be nice to hear a good, clean, strong bass sound, and not just a swamp of low-frequency without much clarity.

The switching unit works well, with only a marginal loss in volume if both sets of speakers are playing (which I expected), but no loss of quality that I can tell. I'm a bit surprised that the volume pot on the Quad 44 is 'stepped' rather than the usual continuous smooth motion, but again, it doesn't affect the sound quality. Even with my current speakers it's far beyond what my last system could do, so I may save my pennies and just enjoy the Quads with what I've got. Well, for now. (I didn't know until I was there buying the amps, but my friend does have a pair of Quad ESL's in his spare room, and they did look great. I think he said he's keeping them until he has the exact valve-driven system he's after).

Other than trying a couple of notches on the Bass Lift on a few tracks, I've not explored the potential of the Tilt, Bass Lift/Step and Filter controls yet, but I have the original manuals so will try experimenting (although any tips are welcome).

So, basically, thanks for pointing me in the direction of Quad. You were right.

From a very happy listener; cheers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the volume control, I'd give a kidney for a stepped attenuator of that quality. The typical volume pots in amps are rubbish compared to those in the Quad 44.

Again, congrats! *drinks*

P.S. Oh dear.... he also has ESLs? I'd grab those as well. *wacko*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Regarding the volume control, I'd give a kidney for a stepped attenuator of that quality. The typical volume pots in amps are rubbish compared to those in the Quad 44.

Again, congrats! *drinks*

P.S. Oh dear.... he also has ESLs? I'd grab those as well. *wacko*

Just ask to borrow them until the 'right' amplifier turns up.

jr10

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Came across this thread and read it with interest. Am convinced you made the right choice by getting the Quad set up and I do hope you continue to be pleased with it. And of course if it breaks or needs service the nice people at Quad Huntingdon will be pleased to help you in the years to come. (I am happy and proud owner of a lovely Quad 34/306/FM4 tuner set up, bought new just before they stopped making them and if the heavy mob from the bailiffs were banging on my door, my Quads would be the last things I would let them have In fact I would hide them away.) Happy listening!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts