Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
A chap at work has asked me if I’m interested in a Quad 405 that was his late fathers.

Would it be suitable for my system, and better than my current amp a Nad 320BEE?
If so how much is a fair price to offer him? And how much would it cost to get it serviced? He said his dad used to get it serviced every year.

I have 4 things plugged into my amp..
1) Project Debut Esprit SB via a Project Box USB V Phono Amp
2) A Mazanz CD6003 CD Player
3) A Yamaha Cassette Deck
4) A Denon VHF Tuner

The Speakers are a pair of Kef Q15.s – bywired with Qed XP Siler Aniverery cables

Thanks for your advice

As chebby says it is only a power amp but I assume your mate would have his dad's preamp as well. Maybe not.

Pricewise you just have to check what they have sold for in the past on eBay.

Most amps of this age I would get serviced if buying myself but would suggest that annually is not a requirement.

FYI the Quad 405 was normally partnered with the Quad 44 pre amplifier but it would not be unusual to see it with an earlier model pre-amp. If you can get this as well I would suggest you do so as the pairing would be better (in my opinion) than your current NAD.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Chebby and Al Ears

As it's just a power amp, and I would need a pre amp too. (the Nad or another) I've decided not to go ahead - as I have no more room on my hifi rack.

Just room for one box - not the two it would become.

Thanks so much for your prompt responses

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts