Quad 405-II advice...

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
May have potentially just bought a modified Quad 405 mark 2, that has upgraded caps, burr brown op amps and modern phono/binding posts for a very sensible amount of money as far as quad kit goes. I'm more curious than anything and I'm quite happy I'll sell it on for what I paid if its not for me. 

My question is regarding a pre amp. I have a Creek 4330 which is passive in its pre amps section, basically a 40w mosfet amp with an attenuator inside it between the inputs. would the 405 respond well to a passive pre amp, as far as Im aware, I sould be able to leave the creek powered off and it should still function as a pre to the quad through the pre amp outputs. Also, any other things I should know regarding owning and running an current dumping amp like this?  

A

Anonymous

The Quad will work well with a passive pre.

Nothing much to know really. I have a mod'ed 405 using BB OPA627 op amps and really enjoy it. I used to use AD 843 op amps but they're not as revealing. Some prefer them as the 627s can sound a bit more sharp and incisive, a good thing in my books.

Let us know how you get on with it. What mods has it got? Custom, Dada, Netaudio?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts