Quad 303/33 speaker recommendation – for music (& home cinema?)

iddudusapp-6161

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I have a Quad 303/33 system currently paired with some Mission 761s - the Quads are due to go in for a service this weekend, but the Missions could really do with being replaced. (I picked them up second-hand about 10 years ago and the base drivers have become brittle and begun to split). Had a quick flick through the best hi-fi speakers of 2015 and it looks as if there are some real contenders there – but I wondered if any forum members had any recommendations as to a good match for the 303?
I intend to predominantly use them for listening to quite a range of music (from classical through to more experimental electronic music) but wondered whether I could get away with using the same stereo setup for watching films, rather than having to shell out for a separate/additional system? I know 5.1 systems aren't necessarily great for music... perhaps this is an ask too much though! Thanks in advance.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome!
A few questions:
Room size?
Budget?

Those amps are old but should work nicely once serviced.
The 303 is not that powerful so I would recommend speakers with an easier load.

Quad make nice speakers, they should work well with their own amps.
IPL Acoustics might work nicely. Reasonable load and sound great. Worth a demo if you can.
Q Acoustics are higher than usual sensitivity so should be an easier load. Not expensive.

Once you get them back from service maybe take them to a few dealers and demo speakers. Home demo will be best once you have narrowed down to a few.

5.1 if done well is great, but I have gone back to 2.0.
I can't be bothered with multi channel anymore.

iddudusapp-6161

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks FennerMachine.

Room is approx 3m W x 5.5m L - speakers etc will be going on one of the short walls. Got a budget of around 250-500 or so set aside.

The Q Acoustics look great from the review on this site; might take your advice and see if I can give them a listen in the same dealership that's doing the service on the Quad system.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've not heard the Q Acoustics myself but they fit in your budget and should be an easy load for the Quad amps.
Floor standers should work ok in that size room.
Try to get a home demo of the speakers as they perform differently in different rooms.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts