Quad 12L2

A

Anonymous

Quads are beautifully made and their finish is better than most speakers 3 times the price

12L2 may be a little warm soft round the edges with Arcam, but that's just to my ears of course

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Last year HFW gave the 11L2 five globes and this year they gave the £700 21L2 five globes too. Which finish do you have?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
large_1.jpg

That would be a good price for a new pair of 11L2s. The 12L2s are often overlooked and are only slightly larger than the 11L2s and have a larger 170 mm / 6.5" cone bass driver, whereas the 11L2 has a 125 mm / 5 inch. Gorgeous piano gloss finish - I especially like the rosewood and black finishes.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
That picture I posted doesn't look right proportionally - the bass/mid driver looks too small. if the driver is 170 mm and according to the Quad specs the width of the speaker is 205 mm, there would only be 17.5 mm space between the driver and the edges of the speaker. Either Quad have quoted the wrong dimensions or that pic is not of the 12L2.
This pic looks more realistic:

0016.jpg

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
On this page you can see the difference between the first two pics. The one of the speaker on the stand is correct and the main pic looks correct, but that first one is obviously of the 11L2. In fact, they have a pic of the 12L2 on the page for the 11L2!

http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/model.php?sector_id=2&range_id=9&model_id=18#

I have found a lot of sloppy mistakes like this on hi-fi websites. There were some atrocious spelling and grammatical errors on another well-known speaker manufacturer's website and I contacted them to point it out. They have now corrected the text and were not aware of the errors at all. There are some who may think it doesn't really matter but to me it gives the company an amateurish image. If they can't be bothered to get simple matters right in one of their main vehicles of communication, how much faith should prospective customers put into their products?

(gpi gets off his soapbox.
emotion-4.gif
)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpi"]I have found a lot of sloppy mistakes like this on hi-fi websites. There were some atrocious spelling and grammatical errors on another well-known speaker manufacturer's website and I contacted them to point it out. They have now corrected the text and were not aware of the errors at all. There are some who may think it doesn't really matter but to me it gives the company an amateurish image. If they can't be bothered to get simple matters right in one of their main vehicles of communication, how much faith should prospective customers put into their products?[/quote]
I agree completely and it boggles the mind! If I get the company logo incorrect (and it must be the correct aspect ratio when enlarged or shrunk) or I a made a spelling error when posting a profile on one of our partners' websites, I'd be in so much trouble! I can't believe companies don't even look at their own websites to check for spelling errors!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, that happens a lot! I can't sleep generally at night and find myself on here answering all sorts of posts and then my name's all over the first page of Latest Posts! By morning of course, everything's changed...
emotion-6.gif

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I've just bought a pair of 12L2s (and when I say I've just bought them, I mean unpacking them an hour ago).

I'm blown away by these speakers, I didn't know if they'd be better
than my old Leak speakers but I can safely say that my fears have been
put to rest! Need to play around with positioning and get my speaker
stands set up properly to tame the hefty bass. Even though I didn't
demo these or any other speakers, I am seriously impressed and can't
wait until they're "burnt in".

Anyway, what I need to know is how
on earth to connect banana plugs to these babies. I can see no way of
doing so, as the centre of the terminal is blanked off with a coloured
dot (those who own a pair will know what I'm on about). Surely Quad
haven't designed a £500 speaker without provision for banana plugs? The
manual makes no mention of them.

Good job I haven't yet ordered my new speaker cable (with 16 QED Airlocs @ £4 each!)

A

Anonymous

I had some 11Ls (which I presume are the same design on the binding posts). Just flick the plastic fillers out. Get a knife or something in between the plastic ad the binding post and they'll come out

A

Anonymous

No problem, in fact, iirc, you can completely unscrew the head off the binding post and pop the plastic bits out using the jumper bar!

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
You're in for a treat, matengawhat! I'm no fan of consumerism, but hi-fi is my weakness.

You would not believe the sound these are getting out of this horrid old Trio (Kenwood!) CDP. I can't resist the temptation to buy a new CD player now, I was thinking of an Audiolab 8000CD to match my 8000S amp but now I've seen the Arcam CD192 for the same price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts