Qobuz CEO talks Amazon Music HD, 3D audio, new features and more

Brantome

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
“Alexa can’t play hi-res content… well, Amazon can, but we can’t.”

Strictry speaking, Alexa only plays the full range of hi-res content to the Echo Studio - it caps output at 24/44.1 to any other device, maybe even the echo link/amp, even if the output device supports up to 24/192.

Frankly, Amazon’s HD service has been poorly implemented thus far...

msee

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site
Qobuz Hi Res is $15/m in the US ($12.50/m if you sign up for a year).
The same service in the UK is $33/m.
I'd love to support them take on the big boys but a European company fleecing their European customers like that is indefensible
Disgraceful, I use to subscribe to Qobuz until I found that the new price tier only applied to the USA! So i figured if that is how they treat their loyal European (UK) subscribers then I am off to sign up with one of the other hi-res streaming services.

mwinter

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Disgraceful, I use to subscribe to Qobuz until I found that the new price tier only applied to the USA! So i figured if that is how they treat their loyal European (UK) subscribers then I am off to sign up with one of the other hi-res streaming services.
This will change. Deezer introduced their lower price in the US first to much wailing gnashing of teeth. They have now realigned their pricing.

msee

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site
This will change. Deezer introduced their lower price in the US first to much wailing gnashing of teeth. They have now realigned their pricing.
I hope so. Qobuz content and recommendations are more aligned with my musical tastes, however it is not acceptable when so many companies (not just Qobuz) take UK customers for granted and treat us like mugs : (

Reactions: Niallivm

dachad

Feb 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm new to the high quality audio and HiFi stuff. I came across good sound and the world of DACs and toys rather by accident. I bought a Scarlett Solo interface to plug my new Telecaster into my computer, and plugged that into a $100 pair of small studio monitors. The difference of stock audio was amazing. I've since added a bunch of toys.

The challenge I think, for Qobuz & Tidal's HiFi, is the abysmal state of everything else. Good audio on iOS is a mess, with Apple seemingly actively trying to limit audio quality to iTunes' level of trash. Android's hit or miss, depending on the device. Bluetooth, Airplay 2 and Chromecast have varying levels compatibility issues that make it difficult to get a system where everything works at its peak.

Qobuz sounds incredible on a DragonFly or other DAC connected to an adapter, with a $30 pair of BLON's, ($160 -$230 worth of stuff), but not nearly as great with a $300 pair of Beats, AirPods or Sony's. Sounds 10x better on a good DAC and amp over good speakers.

Amazon really only supports the Studio & Links with HD & 360. I haven't heard any of the hardware integrations yet, but I'm unimpressed with UltraHD on iOS & Mac clients.

Qobuz still wins. The French had to finally win something...

HisDudeness

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
Qobuz Hi Res is $15/m in the US ($12.50/m if you sign up for a year).
The same service in the UK is $33/m.
I'd love to support them take on the big boys but a European company fleecing their European customers like that is indefensible

I cannot agree more with you on this point. I have tried Tidal, which forces the music of Jay-Z's buddies on me, so this didn't cut it for me. I'm very anxious to have hires content available in addition to my Spotify subscription, but Qobuz's price point in the EU is ridiculous and frankly a rip-off compared to the price in the US.

HisDudeness

Apr 22, 2020
Visit site
N.B. Qobuz UK pricing of £14.99/m introduced after this thread began. Other EU territories “to follow” apparently

This is what I received from Qobuz Support:

Dear Customer,
Qobuz has set up the Studio Premier subscription in the US for $ 14.99
This subscription is not yet offered on stores in other countries. It's only temporary. The reason for this discrepancy is due to the negotiations which are still ongoing with publishers from other countries.
Qobuz is working to harmonize its offers, Le Studio Premier will be arriving very soon.
Thanki you for your interest in our services.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts