QED XTC custom speaker cable

abacus

Avoid anything made by Hi Fi cable companies, as they just rip you off, by putting a fancy name on a cheap cable.

Pop to your local Pro music store (Or online store) and get some cable from there, as that way you will have the same quality as used in professional film and music studios, at a fraction of the price that Hi Fi cable manufactures try to con you into paying.

If you are still confused, make sure you try before you buy, use a simple blind test and go from there.

Hope this helps

Bill

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
WHY do you always show up with the same old crap response to a perfectly good question, if it bothers you so much that all cable companies are crooks then just stay away from any new thread with the word cable in it, then the rest of us can respond to the question asked, no wonder the only people on this forum are the same few (and getting fewer every week) names because anyone new asking a question gets the same s**t response from you and must think wow a hifi forum where your not allowed to talk about cables because their all bad, I'll think I will go somewhere else.

And then you have the b*****ks to end with your stupid "Hope this helps" phrase, well I said before it doesn't, it's very annoying.

*aggressive*

ps. To the moderators on this site, I am sorry if this reply goes over the top but to be honest I've had enough of this t**t and some things had to be said.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
abacus said:
Avoid anything made by Hi Fi cable companies, as they just rip you off, by putting a fancy name on a cheap cable.

Pop to your local Pro music store (Or online store) and get some cable from there, as that way you will have the same quality as used in professional film and music studios, at a fraction of the price that Hi Fi cable manufactures try to con you into paying.

If you are still confused, make sure you try before you buy, use a simple blind test and go from there.

Hope this helps

Bill

+1

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
The directional arrows always point away from the source. For example, from a CD player to an amplifier, the arrows should point towards the preamplifier or power amplifier. On a speaker cable the arrows would always point towards the loudspeaker

Copy past from a well known cable manufacturer.

Somebody call the secret police.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
macdiddy said:
WHY do you always show up with the same old crap response to a perfectly good question, if it bothers you so much that all cable companies are crooks then just stay away from any new thread with the word cable in it, then the rest of us can respond to the question asked, no wonder the only people on this forum are the same few (and getting fewer every week) names because anyone new asking a question gets the same s**t response from you and must think wow a hifi forum where your not allowed to talk about cables because their all bad, I'll think I will go somewhere else.

And then you have the b*****ks to end with your stupid "Hope this helps" phrase, well I said before it doesn't, it's very annoying.

*aggressive*

ps. To the moderators on this site, I am sorry if this reply goes over the top but to be honest I've had enough of this t**t and some things had to be said.

Mac,

While you may not agree with Bill, this is an open forum and he is free to post what he likes, subject to the rules the forum has on decency and content.

He is also quite correct in what he posts - in my opinion.

If you feel strongly about the subject, how about a reasoned argument, ideally with links to studies and data to back up your point?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have tried lots of qed cables and the XT40 is worth the extra if you can afford it

The other one I liked was revelation fwiw

andyjm said:
macdiddy said:

*aggressive*

Mac,

While you may not agree with Bill, this is an open forum and he is free to post what he likes, subject to the rules the forum has on decency and content.

He is also quite correct in what he posts - in my opinion.

If you feel strongly about the subject, how about a reasoned argument, ideally with links to studies and data to back up your point?

Please not another cable debate.

The OP should know better. Just go and buy it as nobody can tell you whether its going to be an improvement for your system or not, only you can determine that so maybe it's just time to stop asking pointless questions.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bill

Ja plus 2

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
macdiddy said:

*aggressive*

Same cut and paste reply also and bill is correct

It's only a cable at the end of the day.stop fretting about them...it ain't goni transform your system.just buy what you think is deemed necessary and get on with listening to your tunes........I hate all cables and wish everything was wireless.

Ps...I do know that naim amps don't like silver cable...that is the harshest difference in sound quality I've known a pair of speaker cables to make to a system.which might make me seem a little hypocritical.lol.but other than that match...I doubt you'll be surprised by any so called cable upgrade.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Had been told before xt40 is the way to go but as the length I need is 13m was looking at alternatives. Looking to do a full system upgrade with amp starting later in the new year. Though this has been delayed by much needed home improvement work. Maybe use the new amp as an opportunity to do a deal on xt40 price at same time.

insider9

I try not to comment on cable threads as they never turn out well. With that being said I think we can all agree on the following.

For a run of this length and 8 ohm speakers it is recommended that you use a minimum of 2.5mm² cable. Were you to change your speakers any time in the future and for example get 4 ohm speakers than it would be recommended to increase cross section area to 4mm².

With that being said I'd suggest as a minimum 4mm² cable straight away. With 13 m run and 8 ohm speakers anything less than 14 AWG (2mm² cross section) will be seen as potentially detrimental to sound quality.

That means that your current QED micro at 1.5 mm² is not the right cable for your system. And any other cable that meets the criteria above will do better whether mentioned 2.5 or 4 mm² or even thicker cables. The longer the run and/or lower speaker impedance the thicker cables you should use for optimal performance.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I am eventually going to get round to buying the van damme cables, I was thinking of getting the 6mm cables, on the logic the thicker the better. I actually have 4ohm speakers so maybe this is for sure the best idea. What do you think? 4mm or 6mm terminated?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
radiorog said:
I am eventually going to get round to buying the van damme cables, I was thinking of getting the 6mm cables, on the logic the thicker the better. I actually have 4ohm speakers so maybe this is for sure the best idea. What do you think? 4mm or 6mm terminated?

I would say that 4mm is perfect for almost any situation unless very long lenths are being used or you have a mega amplifier driving very low impedance speakes.

The 6mm is very large and heavy, it's can be quite difficult to terminate or put into most bare wire terminals, but if you are going to have it professionally terminated then this will not be a problem.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I use XT40 for my rear speakers I just check it cost £280 for a terminated set 11m pair - pre brexit.

Van Damme be about half that.

4mm can be diffcult to use as well - I would say get terminated for sure or DIY IT

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts