QED silver anniversary xt advice

GW93

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I got myself an new av amp and blue ray player yesterday, Denon 1910 and Sony 760. No doubt this will be the first of many requests for help on these excellent forums.

Earlier in the week I got some sliver anniversary xt cable for the front and middle speakers as a hopeful upgrade from my qed micro but, I didn't get the ends terminated as I have Kef eggs on their stands. There is no way terminated ends will feed through the stands for Kefs.

I'm in the middle of connecting everything up just now and I've bared the ends of the speaker cable. I take it just by removing the outer pvc sheath of the cable is sufficient for connecting to the amp and speakers? Do I have to do anything with the inner re/white tube part?

Many thanks if anybody can give me a bit of advice.

G

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Shouldn't be a problem, banana plugs are just for convenience really. Although if your cable is soldered to banana plugs or uses airloc plugs you'll have minimum oxidisation to affect the signal. With bare wire connections the cable will oxidise over time and degrade the signal path. Either re-strip the cables every now and then or use something like this.

GW93

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
pete321:Shouldn't be a problem, banana plugs are just for convenience really. Although if your cable is soldered to banana plugs or uses airloc plugs you'll have minimum oxidisation to affect the signal. With bare wire connections the cable will oxidise over time and degrade the signal path. Either re-strip the cables every now and then or use something like this.

Cheers Pete

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
GW93:
I got myself an new av amp and blue ray player yesterday, Denon 1910 and Sony 760. No doubt this will be the first of many requests for help on these excellent forums.

Earlier in the week I got some sliver anniversary xt cable for the front and middle speakers as a hopeful upgrade from my qed micro but, I didn't get the ends terminated as I have Kef eggs on their stands. There is no way terminated ends will feed through the stands for Kefs.

I'm in the middle of connecting everything up just now and I've bared the ends of the speaker cable. I take it just by removing the outer pvc sheath of the cable is sufficient for connecting to the amp and speakers? Do I have to do anything with the inner re/white tube part?

Many thanks if anybody can give me a bit of advice.

G

You can't have the inner white tube between the contacts, it needs to be bare wire touching the terminals.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
GW93, I am just about to order the Kef 3005 and the stands that go with them, I was going to get my speaker cable terminated with banana plugs, but are you saying that you cannot feed the wire through the stand if the cables are terminated ?

Thanks

Damian

GW93

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
DJEPSON:Thanks VoodooDoctor, that has saved me some cash, it's strange that the stands are designed this way.

Voodoo is spot on. I only have Kef 1005's at the moment but, I looked at 3005's in a store at the weekend and the stand openings don't look different from what I have - certainly not enough to cope with terminations fitted.

Thanks to others who gave me advice, did as you said and things sound good so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts