QAcoustics 3050i with Pro ject Maia S3

lacontrabarra

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

Maybe asking an obvious question, but with no experience whatsoever for an obvious answer :)

I’m trying to upgrade my micro hifi system and turntable, and thought of the Pro ject Maia S3 with 23w per channel @8ohms. Since my chosen Klipsch 600 speakers + stands are quite at the same price as the Qacoustics 3050i, I was wondering if that little ****** could handle those.

I read that they are quite sensitive, but not sure if the Maia S3 can take them.

Anyone has experience powering the 3050i?

Thanks in advance,

bp_reid

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
At 91db sensitivity they should be fine, my S3 is happy powering a pair of Cyrus One Linears, which are less sensitive. Albeit I don’t listen very loud.

Since you mention a turntable, I’d just like to add that the S3 goes not have an earth on the 3 pin plug, so you may need to find an alternative method of grounding the turntable. I ended up taking a single wire from the earth of a separate 3 pin plug.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

Maybe asking an obvious question, but with no experience whatsoever for an obvious answer :)

I’m trying to upgrade my micro hifi system and turntable, and thought of the Pro ject Maia S3 with 23w per channel @8ohms. Since my chosen Klipsch 600 speakers + stands are quite at the same price as the Qacoustics 3050i, I was wondering if that little ****** could handle those.

I read that they are quite sensitive, but not sure if the Maia S3 can take them.

Thanks in advance,
The 3050i are a favourite of mine due to their ability to fill the room better, not long ago changing from Dali oberon's.
They like and are known for liking a bit of power despite their sensitivity.

QA recommend amps starting at 50W to 165W

I've had various amps connected to the QA's to date -
•Arcam SA30 (120watts)
•pioneer A-400 (60 watts)
•Roskan K-3 (140 watts)
•Yamaha RS-202D (100 watts)
•Cambridge Audio AXA25 (25 watts)

The Cambridge audio at the aforementioned watts struggled and just wasn't suitable for my preference of music on the louder side.

It's a debate starter but I've found over the yrs just like the manufacturers, Watts are the best guide albeit not the only factor in volume power.

It depends on your listening preferences.
Dare I say it you might indeed struggle going way lower than the recommended power rating for the 3050i's.

Always try and stay in the remit of the speaker parameters.

Attachments

• 1000005405.jpg
    1000005405.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: lacontrabarra

lacontrabarra

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for this comprehensive answer. That’s what actually wad fearing of, but hoped that the sensitivity of the 3050s would help a bit. I’m not a loud listener, but it’s always good to have some extra oomph, especially when these floorstanders are so close in price/performance to bookshelf size speakers + stands.

I guess I’ll pick a more powerful amp, my other choices were the ATOLL IN 50 or the Marantz 6007.

Thanks again,

manicm

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
Why do you want to replace your Klipsch 600?

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts