Q: streamer. Is it worth upgrading?

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
I have 2 separate set ups.
1. Main AVR (denon 2700xh) with a 5.1 wharfedale speaker set up. I also have my CD player (marantz) and turntable (rega) connected. I have a Google Chromecast audio 2 connected too. I stream via qobuz (and Spotify occasionally)
2. Mac with a Mojo 2 and a couple of pairs of good headphones. Same source for streaming.

I keep reading reviews of amazing streaming devices eg Wiim and Cambridge.

The Chromecast is WiFi driven and therefore presumably at the same resolution as the source eg. Hi res on qobuz? Am I missing something. I paid £60 for the Chromecast audio 2 on Ebay... but the streamers are in the hundreds. What do they offer audio quality wise?

Witterings

I had CCA's and switched to WiiM's but really only because they offered greater compatibility / flexibility with devices and streaming services and I also wondered if they may phase out Chromecast support at some stage but now wonder if I got that wrong.

CCA's are capped at 24/96 whereas other streamers can go up to 24/192 but doubt the human ear can tell the difference so seems a pretty mute point, other devices offer gapless playback but if you've not missed that before may not be a big deal anyway.

In essence I don't think you'd notice a real difference in sound quality, you could probably get greatr improvement in other areas 1st such as a dedicated stereo amp rather than an AVR for stereo.

Do you notice any difference between using Spotify and Qobuz as again there's a big difference in resolution, any noticeable differences between using Qobuz over Spotify will likely be greater than using a WiiM vs a CCA.

Reactions: lakelandstu70

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
I had CCA's and switched to WiiM's but really only because they offered greater compatibility / flexibility with devices and streaming services and I also wondered if they may phase out Chromecast support at some stage but now wonder if I got that wrong.

CCA's are capped at 24/96 whereas other streamers can go up to 24/192 but doubt the human ear can tell the difference so seems a pretty mute point, other devices offer gapless playback but if you've not missed that before may not be a big deal anyway.

In essence I don't think you'd notice a real difference in sound quality, you could probably get greatr improvement in other areas 1st such as a dedicated stereo amp rather than an AVR for stereo.

Do you notice any difference between using Spotify and Qobuz as again there's a big difference in resolution, any noticeable differences between using Qobuz over Spotify will likely be greater than using a WiiM vs a CCA.
Hi thanks for that. Hadn't realised CCA was capped at 24/96. To answer your question re Spotify and Qobuz I notice a HUGE difference, so much so I really struggle to listen to Spotify now as it sounds so muffled and dull compared with qobuz.

Witterings

Hi thanks for that. Hadn't realised CCA was capped at 24/96. To answer your question re Spotify and Qobuz I notice a HUGE difference, so much so I really struggle to listen to Spotify now as it sounds so muffled and dull compared with qobuz.

I'd get yourself a Pro Plus on Amazon knowing you can start a return up to 30 days and then still have 30 days to get it .... in essence 2 months and do a comparison to see what you think.

I say the Plus as I'm assuming you're using the onboard DAC on the AVR (as you only mention 1 DAC which I guess is with the second system) and you can compare the WiiM's DAC to the AVR's as well.

The other thing I like about the WiiM's, I quite often watch music videos on a tablet streaming the music to the HiFi and Airplay has the least lag / lip sync issues.

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
Just out of interest, have you been into the Spotify settings to ensure it is streaming at the highest quality?

With the Denon, do you still use the CCA or stream Spotify (Connect) directly? If the latter, have you changed the audio quality in the HEOS app?
Yes I have the highest quality settings on both. I use cca rather than Spotify connect.

Reactions: Messiah

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
Does the same Ebay seller also accept returns, so you could send back the Denon 2700xh and purchase an all-in-one streaming amplifier? Like the Cambridge Evo 150 or similar.
So it was the CCA I got off Ebay 2 years ago. The Denon was from Peter Tyson three years ago. Want to keep that ad it has HEOS which my kitchen speaker connects too. Also I have thr CD/DVD/Turntable connected (which I can also listen to via HEOS in the kitchen. I can also connect laptop and PS to the Denon when it's needed.
Finally the Denon drives my 5.1 speaker system.

So back to the original Q. Is it worth swapping out the CCA for a dedicated streamer?

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
So back to the original Q.
In case you are able to find a single-driver loudspeaker with a driver similar, but with different characteristics, to the ones found in the Sennheiser HD series headphones, which has a transparent wafer-thin driver, then an accompanying stereo amplifier would require very little power to drive those single-driver speakers in the listening room. That way it would be wise to include the streamer + DAC(with the latest and greatest decoders) in the amplifier itself, with the size and weight of the all-in-one device never brought to market before. A dedicated streamer wouldn't make any sense really.

daveh75

In case you are able to find a single-driver loudspeaker with a driver similar, but with different characteristics, to the ones found in the Sennheiser HD series headphones, which has a transparent wafer-thin driver, then an accompanying stereo amplifier would require very little power to drive those single-driver speakers in the listening room.

Are you a bot?

Kenneth Fernandes

Mar 2, 2024
Visit site
Then why are you banging on about single driver speakers again?
Because a single driver speaker doesn’t include an internal crossover, and if the driver cone is wafer-thin; that could easily deform when touched, then very low power is required to drive the speaker, like the Chord Anni, which could reproduce big sound in a medium/large room. Secondly, it’s a thing that just can’t be put aside, it’s got to catch momentum sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Sure, although off topic it still has a bigger impact in stereo HiFi setups. As choosing the right speaker first followed by the amp, could make the setup sound great, same goes while designing the products and not vice-versa.
Yeah, and you've been banging on about this since you joined the forum. I think you're here just to wind people up.

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
I'm a happy WiiM user but based on what you said no need to upgrade? I don't use the onboard DAC either, and I agree with no need for such high sample rates. I liked until the Chromecast but couldn't find one so went WiiM.

It does link seamlessly to tidal and Spotify (not so seamlessly to Qobus) and works well with my Plex. Never a hitch, I have both a regular and a pro

Fandango Andy

I have 2 separate set ups.
1. Main AVR (denon 2700xh) with a 5.1 wharfedale speaker set up. I also have my CD player (marantz) and turntable (rega) connected. I have a Google Chromecast audio 2 connected too. I stream via qobuz (and Spotify occasionally)
2. Mac with a Mojo 2 and a couple of pairs of good headphones. Same source for streaming.

I keep reading reviews of amazing streaming devices eg Wiim and Cambridge.

The Chromecast is WiFi driven and therefore presumably at the same resolution as the source eg. Hi res on qobuz? Am I missing something. I paid £60 for the Chromecast audio 2 on Ebay... but the streamers are in the hundreds. What do they offer audio quality wise?
I had a Chromecast audio in my main system for years and was happy with it. I switched to WiiM because the Chromecast had a tenancy to drop its wifi connection. I now use it in a second system and its still going strong. Not sure I notice a massive difference, both are good.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I will just add for what ever reason Spotify through the cca only streams at 250hz rather than the 320hz (at least when I had one set up).

And tbh honest I can’t hear any differences in streamers especially if they are just streaming transports. The only device Ive heard differance through was an iPad/iphone with a usb connection a dac, and I put that down to it being battery powered.

TRENDING THREADS