Q&As - AV + stereo set up

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I have the feeling that my AV is becoming a little bit obsolete (no HD, no USB, network, IPOD, etc). I am considering the possibility to move to a combination of AV + stereo because otherwise, I will have to spend a lot more in order to get a decent AV for music. I do not plan to make the change right away, I will wait for the right moment hopefully this year. In preparation I would like some help with some questions.

Q&As AV + stereo:

1) Can I still use the subwoofer for music? My Dali Ikon 1s do not have deep bass so I would still need to be able to use the subwoofer. Does this means that my sources would still need to be connected to the AV, also in order to be able to use them in the Zone 2 and to use the DAC of the AV? Since this will mean using the AV as previous stage, will this defeat the whole purpose of adding a separate stereo?

2) Can I use the turner from the AV? Again since this will mean using the AV as previous, would this defeat the whole purpose of having a separate stereo?

3) If you buy a stereo with bypass mode what does this do? Does it bypass the previous stage of the integrated stereo? If that is the case then, does it make sense to buy an integrated stereo vs a power amp?

4) Cinema - When the 2 main channels are driven by the stereo amp, will this affect the overall cinema quality? I have the feeling that the effects, balance and overall cinema experience could degrade when not all channels are driven by the same specialized cinema amp. The 2 front channels are the main and should provide a 3D cinema experience that maybe the stereo amps are not meant for it.

5) Connection - Is it possible to plug the stereo amp to the AV receiver? Normally the electricity connections of the AV receiver should only be used for small things.... no?

So far these are the doubts I have for the time being. Any help to clarify these points will be much appreciated.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
rendu said:
4) Cinema - When the 2 main channels are driven by the stereo amp, will this affect the overall cinema quality? I have the feeling that the effects, balance and overall cinema experience could degrade when not all channels are driven by the same specialized cinema amp. The 2 front channels are the main and should provide a 3D cinema experience that maybe the stereo amps are not meant for it.

There's a lot of people here doing exactly what you're thinking of doing, none of them have reported any problems with using a stereo amp in this manner, assuming you don't choose something daft like a valve amp with a tiny amount of power obviously.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts