Q Acoustics - Speaker size vs room size

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Hiya,

I'm on the brink of buying a pair of floor standing Q Acoustics 3050 speakers (I've tested them in the shop and they sound nice).

However, it just occurred to me that my listening room is pretty small (4.92m/16'2" x 3.15m/10'4" to be exact).

Do we think the speakers are too big and will result in slight bass distortion?

Should I be going for something smaller like a bookshelf model? (QA 3020 for example?)

Edit: Also - if I do this, it may be more practical to actually put them on shelves instead of stands (sacrificing bass output slightly I guess). Would this be ok and should I then pair them with a sub? If so, which one?

SO complicated - agh.

Cheers!

R.

You won't get any bass distortion, however small your room. I actually think it should be fine. By small, I'd mean a typical British bedroom, less than 10' in any direction. The bass might be too prominent if it is a heavily furnished room and the speakers are flat to the walls. But give them room and you'll be fine.

Stand mount speakers on shelves will be dreadful by comparison.

Akways worth buying on the basis you can return if they really don't work - and we don't know what other gear you are using, either.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I got a pair of Q acoustic 3050's in a second room driven by Quad Vena & they sound just fine. Some say these speakers are boomy but far from it. They can sound bass heavy if placed close to walls but not boomy. To me these speakers sound so good that am think of trying them with better amplification. Not the very best with bass grip best still very impressive for the price. I have heard speakers over a grand sound worse in the bass department.

Mostly of all, they are musical & fatigue free.

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Interesting - so two people saying these floor standing speakers are generally better than bookshelf size + stands for a small room.

Thanks - v helpful!

R.

TRENDING THREADS