Q Acoustics 3020 review

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Just read the review.

But I like to know how much of an improvement they are over the 2020i speakers ? Are they almost as good as the Concept 20 ?

Is it worth the investment when you already have the 2020i speakers ?

Maybe someone who did the review could answer these questions *smile*

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
While the 3020s have the same sonic signature as the 2020is, in our view they are better in pretty much every regard. Better than the Concept 20s? No. But for the money (£190) they are fantastically good.

That said, the 2020is are still great speakers so there's no need to upgrade if you don't want to.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I always felt that the 2020i lacked just a touch of energy at higher levels, leading to a balance that seemed to lack a little in terms of 'air' and 'sparkle' at the top end.

This was particularly noticeable on budget amps, but when they were demonstrated on 'better' amplifiers to show them off, this was not an issue.

Any comments on this?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Andy, I've already decided that I want to buy some new speakers. I've got the 2020i now and they are great but I just want to buy something new.

The Q Acoustics 3020 is a good choice I think, but I've read great things about the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers. I'm going to choose between these two I think.

Dave ; the 2020i are great but they can sound a little dull. I've got a Denon PMA-720AE amp so that's a budget one. But they indeed have a balance that lack a little air and sparkle.

So maybe I should try the Diamond 220 *smile*

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You should try to go for the Concept 20. They are extremely good. They will probably still better the inevitable 3020i update. Then again there'll probably be a Concept 20i in the future too. When does it end!!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Please don't take offence as it is your money and not for me to tell you how to spend it but....!

I've never quite understood the methods of consumers like your self, sideways steps, buying new gear every few years etc. The way I see it I always try and make my purchases to last as someone who wants the best I can't possibly get but doesn't have sizeable funds to play with.

I see often people on forums asking advice of this sort and can't help think they've just got an urge to unpack a shiny new thing, it isn't in my opinion a smart way to shop if you are like me trying to get the best you can on a budget.

No doubt the 3020s are better than the 2010s but is it money well spent if you've already got the very decent 2010s doing a good job? You're essentially spending the money again to unpack a new speakers which is marginally better regardless of what the marketing says.

Why not live with what you have till you can afford a proper upgrade, one you'll really feel and will be satisfied with long term? People get caught making short term decsions, changing gear and after some time may well fine they've spent some quite serious money going through a series of budget speakers when you could've put all that money towards one major upgrade that will take you a clear step up in qulaity and keep you happy for many happy years.

I have been running B&W 602s I bought new 13 years ago, I've had thwe itch to upgrade them many times but held off and am now the porud owner of a pair of Event Opals which wipe the floor with them and I know I'll feel no urge to upgrade them for years to come. I'm not suggesting you wait 13 years but there is a balance to be struck.

Some people enjoy the hobby aspect of box swapping and that is fine for them but I'd be cautious of spending money making something which wouldn't be too far off a sideways step in your position.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
bluedroog said:
Please don't take offence as it is your money and not for me to tell you how to spend it but....!

I've never quite understood the methods of consumers like your self, sideways steps, buying new gear every few years etc. The way I see it I always try and make my purchases to last as someone who wants the best I can't possibly get but doesn't have sizeable funds to play with.

I see often people on forums asking advice of this sort and can't help think they've just got an urge to unpack a shiny new thing, it isn't in my opinion a smart way to shop if you are like me trying to get the best you can on a budget.

No doubt the 3020s are better than the 2010s but is it money well spent if you've already got the very decent 2010s doing a good job? You're essentially spending the money again to unpack a new speakers which is marginally better regardless of what the marketing says.

Why not live with what you have till you can afford a proper upgrade, one you'll really feel and will be satisfied with long term? People get caught making short term decsions, changing gear and after some time may well fine they've spent some quite serious money going through a series of budget speakers when you could've put all that money towards one major upgrade that will take you a clear step up in qulaity and keep you happy for many happy years.

I have been running B&W 602s I bought new 13 years ago, I've had thwe itch to upgrade them many times but held off and am now the porud owner of a pair of Event Opals which wipe the floor with them and I know I'll feel no urge to upgrade them for years to come. I'm not suggesting you wait 13 years but there is a balance to be struck.

Some people enjoy the hobby aspect of box swapping and that is fine for them but I'd be cautious of spending money making something which wouldn't be too far off a sideways step in your position.

Agreed. As a sideways mover myself up the Hifi ladder I really wish I had just cut to the chase. I was always looking to achieve what I now have in the Kef LS50/ Roksan K2 with minor pointless changes. The limit of what I'd be willing to spend on hifi has now been reached, should have reached it sooner. Decide your maximum spend, save, research, demo and enjoy.

utomo

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe that 3020 is better, but not worth to upgrade from 2020i.

It maybe worth to upgrade from 2010 series.

BTW, anybody compare the 3020 with wharfedale diamond 220? Which steal the crown from q acoustic last year.

I hope q acoustic try to improve the speaker so it has better efficiency than 88 db.

Just my 2c

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Andy, I've already decided that I want to buy some new speakers. I've got the 2020i now and they are great but I just want to buy something new.

The Q Acoustics 3020 is a good choice I think, but I've read great things about the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers. I'm going to choose between these two I think.

Dave ; the 2020i are great but they can sound a little dull. I've got a Denon PMA-720AE amp so that's a budget one. But they indeed have a balance that lack a little air and sparkle.

So maybe I should try the Diamond 220 *smile*

I have found the Zensor 1 to be comfortably the best £200 (ish) speaker, I prefer it to the Zensor 3 in many ways. To really improve on it I think you have to spend double, Epos K1 for example.

For budget systems it is a very good choice as the Zensor 1 balances the slightly dull, bass heavy presentation of so much budget electronics and if needed a little bass boost can be applied as the low end is very controlled.

That said, if you are looking for boom boxes, look elsewhere.

matthewpiano

Cypher, have you ever listened to a pair of Quad 11L Classics? They are similar money to the Concept 20s but an extremely talented and capable speaker, much better balanced than the current Diamond 220s and more like a more sophisticated Diamond 9.1 (still the best iteration of the Diamonds to my mind). The Quads have stunning driver integration, and provide a really open window on the music, giving you that feeling that you could step into the performance space and enjoy soaking up the music. I would imagine they would pair very well with the Denon amp, which I still consider to be a very capable unit and which is well away from the boom boom approach of some budget kit. The 720AE has clarity and refinement in spades for its price and I suspect the Quad speakers would respond very nicely.

nirvy111

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I'd probably give the 3020's ago even though I own the concept 20's, 40's, Dali Zensor 1's. I wouldn't assume perforamce/appeal simply based on price. They're using a newly designed tweeter, woofer and cabinet and therefore could have a sound and presentation that one might find more appealing than the concept 20's despite the lower price.

Case in point I prefer the concept 20's for stereo music than the Dali Zensor 1's but I prefer the Zensor 1's for movies because the Zensor 1's are more agile, focused and more forward which works better for movies in my opinion, couple them with some good subwoofers and they can be very impressive for the money, plus the Dali Zensor range has an excellent centre speaker to match the 1's, the QA concept speakers don't. The concepts 20's are great for music though because they have a very big airy sound that's very laid back and easy to listen to but I find this presentation less effective for movies. When I switched over to the Dali's from the concept 20's for multi channel movies I found myself prefering Dali's quite a bit more.

I use to have 7 Kef ls50's running 7.1 in my home theatre but ended up downgrading to the Dali Zenor 1's and Dali Vokal(centre) for financial reasons and to give you an idea how good the Zenor's are for movies I actually don't miss the Kef's at all and I payed over 5 times the price for my Kef setup versus the Dali's, I do miss them for stereo music though. I'd be curious to see how the 3020's and matching centre speaker performe for movies, they could give the Dali Zensor's a run for their money.

utomo

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
3020 and concept 20 box design is similar.

I think better to test it first and then decided what to buy.

maybe I suggest to bring the 2020i to the shop to compare it too

nirvy111 said:
I'd probably give the 3020's ago even though I own the concept 20's, 40's, Dali Zensor 1's. I wouldn't assume perforamce/appeal simply based on price. They're using a newly designed tweeter, woofer and cabinet and therefore could have a sound and presentation that one might find more appealing than the concept 20's despite the lower price.

Case in point I prefer the concept 20's for stereo music than the Dali Zensor 1's but I prefer the Zensor 1's for movies because the Zensor 1's are more agile, focused and more forward which works better for movies in my opinion, couple them with some good subwoofers and they can be very impressive for the money, plus the Dali Zensor range has an excellent centre speaker to match the 1's, the QA concept speakers don't. The concepts 20's are great for music though because they have a very big airy sound that's very laid back and easy to listen to but I find this presentation less effective for movies. When I switched over to the Dali's from the concept 20's for multi channel movies I found myself prefering Dali's quite a bit more.

I use to have 7 Kef ls50's running 7.1 in my home theatre but ended up downgrading to the Dali Zenor 1's and Dali Vokal(centre) for financial reasons and to give you an idea how good the Zenor's are for movies I actually don't miss the Kef's at all and I payed over 5 times the price for my Kef setup versus the Dali's, I do miss them for stereo music though. I'd be curious to see how the 3020's and matching centre speaker performe for movies, they could give the Dali Zensor's a run for their money.

amitksvs

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Dear Cypher, please tell me which would be better to pair with Denon X1200 music wise? Wharfedale 220 or Q Acoustics 3020? How would you compare Wharf 220 with QA 3020?

Hi guys i found my q-acoustics 3020 dome driver isn't cover at all by paint , if you look at attached picture you will see the paint don't cover whole dome ( black space around done without paint) . I would ask you if it can affect sound quality or its its serious issue ? Thanks

http://www81.zippyshare.com/v/xORscp7n/file.html

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Cypher said:
Just read the review.

But I like to know how much of an improvement they are over the 2020i speakers ? Are they almost as good as the Concept 20 ?

I can't post links but if you go on youtube you should find a comparison one guy did with a relatively good microphone set up between the the 2020i and the 3020 both on stands and shelf standing.

Even on youtube the difference is quite profound.

Imho there is no question the 3020 is superior but I don't know how it compares to the concept.

Arkadiusz Nowak said:
Hi guys i found my q-acoustics 3020 dome driver isn't cover at all by paint , if you look at attached picture you will see the paint don't cover whole dome ( black space around done without paint) . I would ask you if it can affect sound quality or its its serious issue ? Thanks

http://www81.zippyshare.com/v/xORscp7n/file.html
. I think you might be referring to 'doping'. Nothing to do with drugs, it is applied to speakers. What shows in your photograph is what I would expect. The outer rings are decorative. The slightly shiny cloth material is the working part. It looks fine to me.

Welcome to the forum.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Arkadiusz Nowak said:
Hi guys i found my q-acoustics 3020 dome driver isn't cover at all by paint

The dome and surround are uniformly coated/impregnated in the picture you supply. The mounting plate isn't, which is just as it should be: it's made of a different material, and isn't a moving part of the driver, but part of the way it's attached to the baffle.

gasolin

drummerman said:
Cypher said:
Just read the review.

I can't post links but if you go on youtube you should find a comparison one guy did with a relatively good microphone set up between the the 2020i and the 3020 both on stands and shelf standing.

Imho there is no question the 3020 is superior but I don't know how it compares to the concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieszSrVRIFA

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
drummerman said:
Cypher said:
Just read the review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieszSrVRIFA

Fantastic, cheers.

Improvements seem to be most noticeable in mid and treble clarity but even the bass seems firmer.

Provided the youtube video was reasonably accurate, to achieve similar improvements with amplification or cabling would probably cost much more than the difference between the old and new QAcoustic, discounts notwithstanding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts